Simplify the equation - question about the angle

In summary: It takes practice and time to remember these notions. I am doing my best, and as I am learning on my own I don't have enough practice. Happy to be able to ask here. :-)
Vital

Homework Statement

Hello!
Please, take a look at the following equation and help me to understand where the authors got the value of φ = π/3. I don't see where it is derived from as no additional conditions are given.

Homework Equations

x(t) = 5e(-t/5) cos(t) + 5e(-t/5) √3 sin(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is how I proceed:
x(t) = 5e(-t/5) (cos(t) + √3 sin(t))

Now, given the formula:
f(x) = a sin(wx) + b cos(wx) + B (w > 0) is the same as
f(x) = √a2+b2 sin(wx + φ) + B

In my case, B = 0, so I rewrite the expression as:
x(t) = 5e(-t/5) ( √3 sin(t) + cos(t) )

x(t) = 5e(-t/5) √√32+12 sin(t + φ)

x(t) = 10e(-t/5) sin(t + φ)

But in the book they have:
x(t) = 10e(-t/5) sin(t + π/3)

Where did they get φ = π/3 from?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
x(t) = 5e(-t/5) ( √3 sin(t) + cos(t) )=##10e^{-t/5}\left(\sin {t }\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)+\cos{t}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\right)##

##\sin{(t+\phi)}=\sin t \cos{\phi}+\cos{t}\sin{\phi}##

What is the value of ##\phi##?

Chestermiller said:
x(t) = 5e(-t/5) ( √3 sin(t) + cos(t) )=##10e^{-t/5}\left(\sin {t }\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)+\cos{t}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\right)##

##\sin{(t+\phi)}=\sin t \cos{\phi}+\cos{t}\sin{\phi}##

What is the value of ##\phi##?
Ah! I see. I should have computed the value of φ based on the coefficients' values:

coefficient1 x cos(φ) = √3
coefficient2 x sin(φ) = 1
(coefficient1 x cos(φ))2 + (coefficient2 x sin(φ))2 = coefficient2
hence, coefficient = 2, and thus cos(φ) = √3/2 and sin(φ) = ½, and of course φ = π/3
Now I see how the value appeared.

Vital said:
Ah! I see. I should have computed the value of φ based on the coefficients' values:

coefficient1 x cos(φ) = √3
coefficient2 x sin(φ) = 1
(coefficient1 x cos(φ))2 + (coefficient2 x sin(φ))2 = coefficient2
hence, coefficient = 2, and thus cos(φ) = √3/2 and sin(φ) = ½, and of course φ = π/3
Now I see how the value appeared.

You have been shown this more than once already in other threads. It is something you need to learn and commit to memory, especially if you are going into Phhsics or Electrical Engineering.

Ray Vickson said:
You have been shown this more than once already in other threads. It is something you need to learn and commit to memory, especially if you are going into Phhsics or Electrical Engineering.
It takes practice and time to remember these notions. I am doing my best, and as I am learning on my own I don't have enough practice. Happy to be able to ask here. :-)

Related to Simplify the equation - question about the angle

1. What does it mean to simplify an equation?

Simplifying an equation means to rewrite it in a simpler form without changing its value. This is often done by combining like terms, factoring, or using other mathematical techniques.

2. How do I know when an equation is simplified?

An equation is considered simplified when it cannot be simplified any further using mathematical operations. This means that all like terms have been combined and there are no unnecessary parentheses.

3. What is the purpose of simplifying an equation?

The purpose of simplifying an equation is to make it easier to solve or understand. Simplifying can also help to identify patterns or relationships within the equation.

4. Can an equation be simplified in multiple ways?

Yes, an equation can often be simplified in multiple ways. This is because there are different techniques and strategies that can be used to simplify an equation, and the choice of method may depend on the specific equation.

5. How can I simplify equations with angles?

To simplify equations with angles, you can use trigonometric identities, apply the properties of angles (such as complementary or supplementary angles), or use the unit circle to convert between different angle measurements.