Is There a More Efficient Way to Compute Centralizers in S_6?

• Thread starter cmj1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, conjugacy classes are sets of elements within a group that are considered equivalent under certain operations. They can be determined by finding elements that are mapped to each other by an inner automorphism, and are significant in understanding the structure and behavior of a group. Two different groups can have the same conjugacy classes, but may still have different properties. Conjugacy classes can also be defined for infinite groups, but the number of classes may be infinite as well, making them more challenging to study.
cmj1988

Homework Statement

Given (1,2,3)(4,5,6) in S_6, compute all the elements in the centralizers.

Homework Equations

Well I know that cycle structure is preserved. Etc. I just want to know if there is a less brute force way to compute all 18 instead of going:

(1,2,3)(4,5,6)(1,2,3)(4,5,6)(1,2,3)(4,5,6)=(1,2,3)(4,5,6)
(2,3,1)(4,5,6)(1,2,3)(4,5,6)(2,3,1)(4,5,6)=(2,3,1)(4)(5)(6)
etc.
Also, for some reason I haven't been able to get all 18

Physics news on Phys.org
even by doing this. Can anyone help?The Attempt at a SolutionI have tried to find a less brute force way, but I haven't been able to come up with one. I also can't seem to get all 18 elements. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Related to Is There a More Efficient Way to Compute Centralizers in S_6?

1. What are conjugacy classes?

Conjugacy classes are a fundamental concept in group theory, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the symmetries of objects. In short, conjugacy classes are sets of elements within a group that are considered equivalent or "conjugate" to each other under certain operations.

2. How do you determine the conjugacy classes of a group?

The conjugacy classes of a group can be determined by finding the elements that are equivalent to each other under conjugation. This is typically done by finding the elements that are mapped to each other by an inner automorphism, which is a particular type of group homomorphism.

3. What is the significance of conjugacy classes in group theory?

Conjugacy classes are important in group theory because they allow us to study the structure of a group in a more manageable way. By grouping elements that behave similarly under certain operations, we can better understand the properties and behavior of a group as a whole.

4. Can two different groups have the same conjugacy classes?

Yes, it is possible for two different groups to have the same conjugacy classes. This is because the conjugacy classes of a group are determined by its structure and not by its specific elements. However, two groups with the same conjugacy classes may still have different properties and behaviors.

5. Are conjugacy classes only applicable to finite groups?

No, conjugacy classes can also be defined for infinite groups. However, in infinite groups, the number of conjugacy classes may be infinite as well, making them more difficult to study. In some cases, only a finite number of conjugacy classes may be relevant to the properties of an infinite group.