Deriving expressions for total capacitance

In summary, the conversation is about preparing for lab experiments and deriving expressions for total capacitance in different circuit configurations. The equations for capacitors in parallel and series are mentioned. The attempt at a solution is also provided, including breaking down the capacitors into groups and identifying the circuit configurations. The individual asks for help with the fourth circuit, but ultimately believes they will be able to solve it.
BOAS
Hello,

my timetabled experiments for lab work are a week or two ahead of my E&M course which means I'm doing the experiments before being introduced to the theory.

As part of my prep work I need to come up with an expression for the total capacitance of a number of different circuits involving a combination of parallel and in-series circuits.

I would really appreciate it if someone could look at what I have done so far and offer some help with the last one that I am stuck on.

Thanks!

Homework Statement

Derive expressions for the total capacitance expected in part 2.3.3

(Circuit diagrams attached)

Homework Equations

Ctotal = C1+C2 + C3... ( for capacitors in parallel)

1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 ... (for capacitors in series)

The Attempt at a Solution

Circuit (i)

Capacitor 1, 2 and 3 are in parallel with one another and therefore add to give Ctotal = C1+C2 + C3

Circuit (ii)

Capacitor 3 and 4 are in series with one another, so add to give 1/C3,4 = 1/C3 + 1/C4

Capacitor 2 and 'capacitor 3,4' are in parallel so add to give C2,3,4 = (C3,4) + C2

Capacitor 1 and Capacitor 2,3,4 are in series with one another so 1/C1,2,3,4 = 1/C1 + 1/C2,3,4

Circuit (iii)

Capacitors 1, 2 and 3 are all in parallel so add as C1,2,3 = C1 + C2 + C3

Similarly Capacitors 4, 5 and 6 add to give C4,5,6 = C4 + C5 + C6

These two grouping add to give 1/C1,2,3,4,5,6 = 1/(C1,2,3) + 1/(C4,5,6)

Circuit (iv)

I'm really struggling to figure out how to break apart the capacitors into groups and which ones to consider etc.

I know it's asking a lot to pick through the above but i'd really appreciate some help here.

Attachments

• cappf.jpg
    cappf.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing just fine. In iv you make life easier by drawing A higher and B lower. Then you see 2,3,4 in series and 1 in parallel with that.

Four in series caused a problem in an earlier thread today. I don't think you will stumble, though.

Likes 1 person

Related to Deriving expressions for total capacitance

1. What is total capacitance?

Total capacitance is a measure of the ability of a system to store electrical charge. It is the combined capacitance of all components in a circuit, and is measured in farads (F).

2. How is total capacitance calculated?

Total capacitance is calculated by adding the individual capacitance values of all components in a circuit. If the components are connected in series, the total capacitance is calculated using the formula 1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn. If the components are connected in parallel, the total capacitance is calculated using the formula Ctotal = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn.

3. What is the significance of total capacitance?

Total capacitance is an important factor to consider in circuit design as it affects the behavior and performance of the circuit. It determines the rate at which a capacitor can charge and discharge, and also affects the overall impedance and resonance frequency of the circuit.

4. How does the arrangement of components affect total capacitance?

The arrangement of components in a circuit can affect the total capacitance in two ways: series and parallel. In series, the total capacitance decreases as more components are added, while in parallel, the total capacitance increases as more components are added.

5. Can the total capacitance of a circuit ever be zero?

No, the total capacitance of a circuit cannot be zero as long as there is at least one component with a non-zero capacitance value. However, in some cases, the total capacitance can be very small and considered negligible compared to other components in the circuit.