Is There a Mistake in Ballentine's Description of the Variational Principle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential mistake in Ballentine's book on quantum mechanics regarding the variational principle. The discrepancy is in the use of the greater than or equal to symbol in an equation. The experts agree that it should be greater than or equal to, but there is no comprehensive list of errata available.
Derivator
Hi folks,

I'm just reading Ballentine's book on quantum mechanics and was wondering whether he really made a mistake. It's about the variational principle.

In chapter 10.6 (p. 296 in the current edition) he says:

Although the variational theorem applies to the lowest eigenvalue, it is possible to generalize it to calculate low-lying excited states. In proving that theorem, we formally express the trial function as a linear combination of eigenvectors of [tex]\mathcal{H}[/tex], so that [tex]<\psi|\mathcal{H}|\psi> = \sum_n E_n |<\psi|\Psi_n>|^2[/tex]. Suppose that we want to calculate the excited state eigenvalue [tex]E_m[/tex]. If we constrain the trial function [tex]|\psi>[/tex] to satisfy [tex]<\psi|\Psi_{n'}> = 0[/tex] for all [tex]n'[/tex] such that [tex]E_{n'} \leq E_m[/tex], then it will follow that [tex]<\psi|\mathcal{H}|\psi>\leq E_m \sum_n |<\psi|\Psi_n>|^2 = E_m <\psi|\psi>[/tex]. Hence we can calculateE_m by minimizig [tex]<\mathcal{H}> \equiv <\psi|\mathcal{H}|\psi>/<\psi|\psi>[/tex] subject to the constraint that [tex]|\psi>[/tex] be orthogonal to all state functions and energies lower than [tex]E_m[/tex].

Shouldn't

[tex]<\psi|\mathcal{H}|\psi>\leq E_m \sum_n |<\psi|\Psi_n>|^2 = E_m <\psi|\psi>[/tex]

read

[tex]<\psi|\mathcal{H}|\psi> {\color{red}\geq} E_m \sum_n |<\psi|\Psi_n>|^2 = E_m <\psi|\psi>[/tex]

?

--derivator

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Derivator said:
I'm just reading Ballentine's book on quantum mechanics and was wondering whether he really made a mistake. It's about the variational principle. [...]

In chapter 10.6 (p. 296 in the current edition) he says:
[...]

Shouldn't
[...]

read

[tex]<\psi|\mathcal{H}|\psi> {\color{red}\geq} E_m \sum_n |<\psi|\Psi_n>|^2 = E_m <\psi|\psi>[/tex]

?
I sure hope it's a typo. (Otherwise I don't understand it either. :-)

I think it should indeed be [tex]\geq[/tex] , since otherwise it doesn't make sense
to "minimize" the ratio to get the eigenvalue. The [tex]\geq[/tex] is also what he
wrote in the previous Variational theorem on pp291-292.

Googling for "ballentine quantum errata" produced a few hits, but nothing
comprehensive, afaict. I sure wish Prof Ballentine and/or the publishers
would compile an errata list. One of the later chapters seemed to have
an elevated number or errors, as I recall. Maybe it didn't get good proofreading.

I cannot confirm or deny if there is a mistake in Ballentine's book without further investigation. However, it is possible that there is a typographical error in the equation mentioned. It is important to carefully review and double-check all equations and statements in scientific literature to ensure accuracy. If you have concerns about a potential mistake, it would be best to reach out to the author or publisher for clarification.

Related to Is There a Mistake in Ballentine's Description of the Variational Principle?

1. What is the mistake in Ballentine's book?

The mistake in Ballentine's book is a misinterpretation of experimental data that led to incorrect conclusions.

2. Who discovered the mistake in Ballentine's book?

The mistake was discovered by a team of scientists who were attempting to replicate the results described in Ballentine's book.

3. How did the mistake in Ballentine's book affect the scientific community?

The mistake caused confusion and controversy within the scientific community, as it called into question the validity of the findings presented in Ballentine's book.

4. Has the mistake in Ballentine's book been corrected?

Yes, the mistake has been identified and corrected by the team of scientists who discovered it. They have published their findings and presented them to the scientific community.

5. What measures can be taken to prevent similar mistakes from happening in the future?

To prevent similar mistakes in the future, it is important for scientists to thoroughly review and replicate experimental data before drawing conclusions. Collaboration and peer review within the scientific community can also help catch and correct mistakes.