Time-dependence in the Hamiltonian

• I
  • Thread starter Llukis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hamiltonian
In summary: Formally it works the same as with a time-independent ##\hat{H}_0##, but it will be quite more complicated.The only time dependence in the basis vectors will arise as a phase so it is simplest to consider the basis the same as in the initial time and then just multiply by the time dependent phase.
Llukis
TL;DR Summary
How to tackle time-dependent Hamiltonians
Last week I was discussing with some colleagues how to handle time-dependent Hamiltonians. Concerning this, I would like to ask two questions. Here I go.

First question
As far as I know, for a time-dependent Hamiltonian ##H(t)## I can find the instantaneous eigenstates from the following equation
$$H(t) |n(t)\rangle = \epsilon (t) |n(t)\rangle \: ,$$
where ##\epsilon(t)## is the eigenvalue at each instant of time. Thus, for each time ##t##, the states ##|n(t)\rangle## form a basis and, therefore, I can write a general state of the system as
$$|\psi(t)\rangle = \sum_n c_n (t) |n(t)\rangle \: .$$
Is this statement correct? This means that the basis and the corresponding coefficients vary with time continuously.
If this is correct, can I go a step further and choose, for convenience, my basis at ##t=0##? In other words,
$$|\psi(t)\rangle = \sum_n a_n (t) |n(t=0)\rangle \: ,$$
where the basis is static and the coefficients are different from the previous ones.

Second question
Imagine that I can write my Hamiltonian as the sum of two terms (both depending on time)
$$H(t) = H_0(t) + H_1(t) \: ,$$
and that I am interested in working in the interaction picture where ##|\psi^\prime (t) \rangle = U^\dagger_0(t) |\psi(t)\rangle##, with
$$U_0(t) = \mathcal{T} e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\int H_0(t^\prime)dt^\prime} \: .$$
Is this possible? Does the interaction picture remain valid when ##H_0## is a function of time? Perhaps it is not convenient to work in the interaction picture in this case, but I want to know if it is still well defined.

Thanks in advance for reading my post!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First question: You can of course choose this basis, but it won't help you much to solve your problem.

Second question: That's the correct procedure to switch from the Schrödinger to an interaction picture, where the eigenvectors of observable time-evolve with ##\hat{H}_0##, i.e., the unitary operator ##\hat{U}_0^{\dagger}##, while the state vectors time-evolve with ##\hat{H}_1## with the corresponding unitary operator
$$\hat{U}_1(t)=\mathcal{T} \exp \left [-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \int_0^t \mathrm{d} t' \hat{H}_0(t') \right].$$

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions!

vanhees71 said:
First question: You can of course choose this basis, but it won't help you much to solve your problem.

So, I could write the state ##|\psi (t) \rangle## in the changing basis ##|n(t)\rangle## or choose a static basis at any given time, for instance at ##t=0##. I wanted to be sure about that, thank you.
By the way, how would you face the problem of a time-dependent Hamiltonian? I would like to have some insights.

Regarding your answer to the second question, I know the procedure is correct, but I would like to know if even for a time-dependent ##H_0(t)## the interaction picture is still valid; I mean if it works in the same way that it does for a time-independent ##H_0##.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
The only time dependence in the basis vectors will arise as a phase so it is simplest to consider the basis the same as in the initial time and then just multiply by the time dependent phase.

Llukis said:
Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions!
So, I could write the state ##|\psi (t) \rangle## in the changing basis ##|n(t)\rangle## or choose a static basis at any given time, for instance at ##t=0##. I wanted to be sure about that, thank you.
By the way, how would you face the problem of a time-dependent Hamiltonian? I would like to have some insights.

Regarding your answer to the second question, I know the procedure is correct, but I would like to know if even for a time-dependent ##H_0(t)## the interaction picture is still valid; I mean if it works in the same way that it does for a time-independent ##H_0##.

Thank you so much.
Formally it works the same as with a time-independent ##\hat{H}_0##, but it will be quite more complicated.

Likes Llukis
nucl34rgg said:
The only time dependence in the basis vectors will arise as a phase so it is simplest to consider the basis the same as in the initial time and then just multiply by the time dependent phase.
For a Hamiltonian with some general explicit time-dependence it's unfortunately not a simple phase factor. That makes such problems so complicated.

Likes nucl34rgg
Sorry for my delay, I was a little bit busy so far.
Thanks for your answers. Let me add another question, just to be sure. Once I have found the instantaneous eigenstates of a ##H(t)##
$$H(t) |n(t)\rangle = \epsilon_n (t) |n(t)\rangle \: , $$
can I write the spectral decomposition of the Hamiltonian? This is to say
$$H(t) = \sum_n \epsilon_n (t) |n(t)\rangle \langle n(t) | \: ,$$
at each instant ##t##.
Another point I would like to clear up is if applying the time-evolution operator on a instantaneou eigenstate gives
$$\mathcal{U}(t) |n(t)\rangle = \exp \bigg( -\frac{i}{\hbar} \int_0^t \epsilon_n (t^\prime) dt^\prime \bigg) |n(t)\rangle \: . $$
Thank you all!

1. What is time-dependence in the Hamiltonian?

Time-dependence in the Hamiltonian refers to the concept that the Hamiltonian, which is a mathematical operator used to describe the dynamics of a physical system, can change over time. This means that the energy of the system can vary as a function of time.

2. How does time-dependence affect the behavior of a system?

Time-dependence in the Hamiltonian can lead to the evolution of a system over time. This can result in changes in the system's energy levels, as well as the overall behavior of the system. Time-dependence can also lead to the emergence of new physical phenomena, such as oscillations and chaos.

3. What are some examples of systems with time-dependent Hamiltonians?

Some examples of systems with time-dependent Hamiltonians include oscillating pendulums, quantum systems under the influence of external fields, and systems undergoing chemical reactions. In these cases, the Hamiltonian changes as a function of time, causing the system to evolve and behave differently.

4. How do scientists study time-dependence in the Hamiltonian?

Scientists study time-dependence in the Hamiltonian through mathematical and computational methods. They use equations and models to describe the behavior of time-dependent systems, and they also perform experiments to observe and measure the effects of time-dependence on physical systems.

5. What implications does time-dependence in the Hamiltonian have in physics?

Time-dependence in the Hamiltonian has significant implications in physics. It allows scientists to study and understand the behavior of complex systems, such as quantum systems and chemical reactions. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies, such as quantum computing, which relies on time-dependent Hamiltonians to manipulate and control quantum states.