Expectation for many-body system

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum spin chain model on a 1D lattice and the state-space for this model. The main focus is on putting a measure on the d-sphere and using it to define the expectation value of certain functions. A claim is made that this expectation value is equal to the normalized trace, but the person is unsure of how this claim is arrived at and how the invariance of the measure under unitary transformations plays a role. They also mention using the symmetry argument to support the claim. The conversation ends with the person planning to investigate further to better understand the concept.
JorisL
Hi,

I'll start by sketching the specific model I'm looking at, a quantum spin chain.
This is defined as N spins (2 basis states) on a 1D lattice i.e. the sites are a subset of ##\mathbb{Z}##.
Then we defined the state-space as
[tex]
\{ \psi\in\mathcal{H}_N \text{ with } ||\psi|| = 1\}\cong S^d \subset \mathbb{R}^{d+1}
[/tex]
Some clarifications are needed here first ##\mathcal{H}_N = \otimes^N \mathcal{H}_s## where ##\mathcal{H}_s\cong \mathcal{C}^2## is the single-spin state space.
The isomorphism above with the d-sphere is clear (to me) with ##d\equiv 2\cdot 2^N##.

Now I can get to the crucial part, we put a measure on the d-sphere naturally we pick the surface measure ##d\sigma(\psi)\text{ on }S^d##. The defining property given too us is
[tex]
\mathbb{E}(f) = \int_{S^d} d\sigma(\psi) f(\psi) = \int_{\mathbb{R}^{d+1}} d\sigma(\psi)\, \delta( ||\psi||-1 ) \, f\left(\frac{\psi}{||\psi||}\right)
[/tex]

Where f is a function on the d-sphere or the (d+1) dimensional real space.
This all seems okay so far.

As an example the following function was defined ##f(\psi) = \langle\psi|O|\psi\rangle = \langle O \rangle_\psi = \text{Tr}\left(O|\psi\rangle\langle\psi|\right)##.
Then we can apply the definition above
[tex]
\mathbb{E}(\langle O\rangle_\psi) = \text{Tr}\left(O|\psi\rangle\langle\psi|\right) = \text{Tr}\left(O\int d\sigma(\psi)|\psi\rangle\langle\psi|\right)
[/tex]

Now the claim is made that this is equal to ##\text{tr}(O)## which uses the normalized trace ##\text{tr}(\cdot) \equiv d^{-1}\text{Tr}(\cdot)##.

I don't get how they arrive at this claim. It is mentioned that we need to use that the measure ##d\sigma## is invariant under all unitary ##U##.
The lecturer made the remark that ##\int d\sigma(\psi)|\psi\rangle\langle\psi| ={1\!\!1}_d##.

This seems logical but where did the normalization of the trace come from if that's true?

I've been thinking about this stuff for hours now but I can't resolve my difficulties with the idea.

Thanks,

Joris

P.S.: I'm not very familiar with measure theory

P.P.S.:
The nice thing is that if the above holds, we can interpret the expectation as that of a thermal ensemble in the limit ##\beta\downarrow 0##.
Which in turn will be used when talking about the "Eigenstate Thermalization Hypothesis".

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not get the same result so the following may be incorrect. Perhaps it might be helpful neverthelesss... or perhaps not:)

Taking coordinates, ##\int d\sigma(\psi)|\psi\rangle\langle\psi| =\mathbb{1}_d## amounts to ##\int x_i x_j d\sigma =\delta_{ij}##, which is true by symmetry for ##i\neq j##. For ##i=j##, symmetry says it does not depend on i, and computing ##d\cdot\int x_i^2 d\sigma =\int \sum x_i^2d\sigma =1## yields 1/d times the identity matrix.

There is a correction to make though, ## d=2\cdot 2^N## here is the total dimension, the dimension of the sphere is ##d-1##.

Last edited:
Logically that makes sense, however I'm wondering where we should use the invariance of the measure under unitary transformations.

About the sphere, I had 2 contradicting sources. The info given during the lecture and slides from an older talk he had given.
I assumed the slides were correct since he taught without any notes so an error can get in rather quickly. (focus was on the identity first since that has thrown me off, hard)

I'll try to look at it later today and get back to you if it worked out.

Joris

JorisL said:
Logically that makes sense, however I'm wondering where we should use the invariance of the measure under unitary transformations.
The symmetry argument I use is in essence invariance of the measure under rotations of the sphere, so this might be related.
Other than that the physics in your post is way over my head, so I may have misinterpreted something in the translation.

Related to Expectation for many-body system

1. What is "expectation" in the context of a many-body system?

In physics, "expectation" refers to the average value of a physical quantity in a many-body system. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible values of the quantity multiplied by their respective probabilities, and is often denoted by the symbol <x>.

2. How is expectation calculated in a many-body system?

To calculate the expectation in a many-body system, one must first define the physical quantity of interest, such as energy or momentum. Then, the system's wavefunction must be determined using quantum mechanics. Finally, the expectation value is calculated using the wavefunction and the operator associated with the chosen physical quantity.

3. What is the significance of expectation in understanding a many-body system?

The expectation value provides important information about the behavior of a many-body system. It can reveal the most probable outcome of a measurement and can also give insights into the system's overall energy or momentum. Additionally, the expectation value is used in statistical mechanics to describe the macroscopic behavior of a system based on its microscopic properties.

4. Can the expectation value of a many-body system change over time?

Yes, the expectation value of a many-body system can change over time. This is because the wavefunction of the system can evolve over time according to the Schrödinger equation. Therefore, the expectation value can change as the system's state changes.

5. How does the number of particles in a many-body system affect its expectation value?

The number of particles in a many-body system can affect its expectation value in several ways. For example, in a system of identical particles, the expectation value for a given physical quantity will increase as the number of particles increases. Additionally, the behavior of the system may change as the number of particles crosses certain thresholds, such as the onset of a phase transition.