Is there a BP Plan available for the public?

• News
  • Thread starter perd1t1on
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plan
In summary, the conversation is discussing the potential existence of a general blueprint for fixing the oil disaster. The speaker assumes that BP should have an outline for all possible solutions with estimated variables and comparisons, but is unsure why this information is not released to the public. The other person in the conversation questions the feasibility and productivity of such a plan and suggests that BP's primary concern is damage control for their shareholders. The speaker argues that having a plan with different scenarios and estimations could help prioritize solutions and save time and money.
perd1t1on
I was wondering if any of you have stumbled across the real general blueprint for fixing the oil disaster. All I've been able to find is articles about it, but I'm talking about an outline that they may currently be following.

The closest thing to what I mean would be what one would write before creating a computer program. It doesn't have to be incredibly in depth with every variable for all possible plans, but a basic plan that has been either released by BP or put together from official sources.

A pseudo example would be:

I. facts of oil disaster
-oil lost per day
-money per barrel lost
-percentage oil skimmed
-percentage oil burned
-etc
II. Possible Solutions
-Sol 1:
a) estimated time
b) estimated cost
c) total estimated efficiency
-Sol 2:
~
-Sol 3:
~

And then a logical ordering of solutions vs. money lost if each solution is not put in place, where the ordering is from most efficient/least damaging/fastest/etc.

I'm assuming they should have this, but based on what they release to the public and the lack of progress made, it makes me wonder and kind of nervous given this seems like the obvious first step. It seems they may be just running around in circles doing the same things over and over again while shifting blame towards each other.

If they do have an outline, I also don't know why more information is not released to the public for public assistance. It seems it would be pretty logical to drop the information they have into the internet and see how many knowledgeable people 'want to be a hero'.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a fund and a process to apply for those that can prove that their business was affected. Information has been in the news and discussed in threads here.

I know, but I'm not talking about a new fact per article or per news broadcast. I'm talking about the literal blueprint to fixing the problem. I know they don't really have a plan, but they should at least have an outline with estimated variables for all possible solutions and comparisons between each. And then comparison of estimated costs in time and money if they did each solution vs if they didn't do each solution.

perd1t1on said:
I know, but I'm not talking about a new fact per article or per news broadcast. I'm talking about the literal blueprint to fixing the problem. I know they don't really have a plan, but they should at least have an outline with estimated variables for all possible solutions and comparisons between each. And then comparison of estimated costs in time and money if they did each solution vs if they didn't do each solution.
Bolding mine.

No clue what you are talking about. Are you saying that they should waste time creating every imaginary scenario possible and create imaginary scenarios to address them instead of addressing real issues?

And you think this is productive, sensible, and finacially feasible for what reason?

perd1t1on said:
I was wondering if any of you have stumbled across the real general blueprint for fixing the oil disaster...

I'm assuming they should have this, but based on what they release to the public and the lack of progress made, it makes me wonder and kind of nervous given this seems like the obvious first step...

[separate post]
I'm talking about the literal blueprint to fixing the problem. I know they don't really have a plan, but they should at least have an outline with estimated variables for all possible solutions and comparisons between each.
I would not assume such a plan exists, even in outline format.
If they do have an outline, I also don't know why more information is not released to the public for public assistance.
BP is a corporation and a corporation's primary responsibility is to its shareholders. Whether shortsighted or not, damage control - and not of the Gulf region - is their primary concern.

Evo said:
Bolding mine.

No clue what you are talking about. Are you saying that they should waste time creating every imaginary scenario possible and create imaginary scenarios to address them instead of addressing real issues?

And you think this is productive, sensible, and finacially feasible for what reason?
That's not condescending at all. You do realize that creating an outline for every possible scenario for the sake of comparing them, weather feasible or not, would help to put in order their priorities? Doing nothing has an estimated cost of x/day. Scenario A has an estimated cost of x(1+.5)/day for an estimated 10 days. Scenario B has an estimated cost of x(1+1.2)/day for 5 days. The 1 represents the constant damage of doing nothing where the other number is the additional cost for the scenario. Comparing all three for the first 5 days would be: Scenario A with an efficiency of 1.5(5)=7.5, Scenario B is 11, and doing nothing is 5. If you are at the stage of doing something, and you want the cheapest solution, Scenario A should be priority 1. If you are at the stage of doing something, and you want the fastest solution, Scenario B should be priority 1. If you are not at the stage of discerning which all scenarios and estimations of knowable variables, doing nothing should be priority 1 (while maintaining, and looking for scenarios of course).

And what's this about 'imaginary scenarios'? Obviously they would be addressing real issues and a list of scenarios with similar comparisons to help give some direction. Do you know how hard it is to just get up and say, hmp I think I'm going to program a paint program and then start righting the main method? Programmers make outlines and so should anyone else in a field where time and money is at stake for science and mathematics.

russ_watters said:
I would not assume such a plan exists, even in outline format. BP is a corporation and a corporation's primary responsibility is to its shareholders. Whether shortsighted or not, damage control - and not of the Gulf region - is their primary concern.
That's part of the problem that acivists and anyone who cares about the future of the water on their planet should care about. It's shortsighted to say this is a corporation and therefore their rules are above our lives and ecosystem. They made the mistake, they don't know how to fix it, so this seems like the obvious thing to do in such an emergency, and if they don't do it, then the human race deserves to perish.

perd1t1on, I don't know what you are expecting here - you're asking for something that in all likelihood doesn't exist and are pretty hostile to that opinion.

There aren't a lot of options for fixing the well and most were tried in the first few days of the leak. There just isn't anything for a risk/reward calculus to calculate!

Related to Is there a BP Plan available for the public?

1. What is a BP Plan?

A BP Plan, or Business Plan, is a document that outlines the goals, strategies, and financial projections of a company or organization. It serves as a roadmap for the company's future growth and success.

2. Why is a BP Plan important?

A BP Plan is important because it helps a company or organization set clear goals and objectives, identify potential challenges and risks, and develop strategies to overcome them. It also helps to secure funding and attract investors or partners.

3. Is the BP Plan available for the public?

Yes, the BP Plan is typically available for the public to view. It may be posted on a company's website or available upon request. However, some sensitive information may be redacted for confidentiality purposes.

4. Can anyone access the BP Plan?

In most cases, anyone can access the BP Plan, as it is a public document. However, some companies may require a non-disclosure agreement to be signed before providing access to their BP Plan.

5. How can the BP Plan be used?

The BP Plan can be used as a reference for investors, partners, and stakeholders to understand the company's goals and strategies. It can also be used as a benchmark for tracking progress and making adjustments to the company's operations.