Rod Blagojevich goes to jail - why not public service?

• News
  • Thread starter mathwonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary, there is a suggestion to sentence Mr. Blagojevich to work at a public service job and be required to house and feed himself without holding public office for 14 years, with periodic monitoring and frozen assets. This idea is also proposed for other non-violent offenders, with the added suggestion of requiring them to work somewhere with high visibility to prevent further scams. Some also suggest using their expertise for public speaking or consulting, with earnings going towards restitution for their victims. The idea of imprisonment as a deterrent is also brought up, along with the issue of chain gangs and added supervision. However, there is debate about whether financial crimes should be considered non-violent, with some arguing that it causes harm to victims' physical and mental
Vanadium 50 said:
I've changed my mind. I think he should do public service. I think he should be required to join the Army, as a private, and be the person they send out to make sure the minefield is really clear, that they really got the sniper, and to check that no, that gizmo isn't booby trapped. After 14 years of this, provided he's still alive, maybe, just maybe, then he's paid his debt to the country.

That's not even necessarily a punishment. After World War II, someone had to clean up minefields left around Europe. It was typical for German POWs to do a stint clearing minefields before returning home. (Clearing minefields is a dangerous job, but not automatic death.)

Physics news on Phys.org
BobG said:
That's not even necessarily a punishment.

It is if you make him use a pogo stick.