Is the World's Highest Swing in Harbin Worth the Thrill?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Swing
In summary: Most things don't bother me; just keep me away from heights and bugs. :redface:Same here, however, as much as I'd like to try that swing, and I would, I too have an intrinsic fear of heights. I guess my thrill seeking gene has more pull than my fear of heights gene. :biggrin: In fact, probably most of the coolest things that I've ever done scared me half to death at the time.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...The swing is set on a 700ft high viewing platform on the tower in Harbin city, Heilongjiang province [continued w/photo]
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2325093.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool :cool: - I love high places.

I don't normally mind heights, if I'm behind a barrier and with my feet on something sturdy, but that swing's not for me!

Wild! That looks awesomely scary :smile:

I want a swing with a 700 foot long chain!

How long can you pump that sucker!

Chi Meson said:
I want a swing with a 700 foot long chain!

How long can you pump that sucker!

That's what I was thinking! But, you'd probably wouldn't be able to swing much.

That swing is crazy though. I'd love to go on there.

The swing is called "Game for brave people", reports Harbin Daily.

I don't get that. Bravery, to me, means doing something out of the ordinary to achieve an end that is worth sacrificing your own safety for. Swinging 700 ft. above a city just to prove you're not scared doesn't really jive with that. It seems more like thrill-seeking or ego-massaging if you're actually trying to prove a point by doing it.

I got one look at that picture, and my 'nads shrivelled up and tried to hide behind my tonsils. I can't stand even thinking about that thing.

Looks kinda fun :D.

Hype. I've never known a good swing to break.

loseyourname said:
I don't get that. Bravery, to me, means doing something out of the ordinary to achieve an end that is worth sacrificing your own safety for. Swinging 700 ft. above a city just to prove you're not scared doesn't really jive with that. It seems more like thrill-seeking or ego-massaging if you're actually trying to prove a point by doing it.

What if you are scared? Also, aren't you talking more about heroism?

Danger said:
I got one look at that picture, and my 'nads shrivelled up and tried to hide behind my tonsils. I can't stand even thinking about that thing.

Dude, you got the wrong name then.

You know that thing you used to do when you were a kid. You would lean back on the swing until your body was horizontal and then you would stick your head down so you would see the ground coming up at you, upside down. -They should do that.

loseyourname said:

It's not about bravery, it's about "adrenaline", eg "thrill-seeking", as you said. There are two types of people in the world; the ones who like thrills and the ones who don't. And I'm proud to be one of the most outstanding representatives of the former type. :approve:

You know that thing you used to do when you were a kid. You would lean back on the swing until your body was horizontal and then you would stick your head down so you would see the ground coming up at you, upside down. -They should do that.

The swing has a back, so you can't do that.

Chi Meson said:
Dude, you got the wrong name then.

Most things don't bother me; just keep me away from heights and bugs. :redface:

radou said:
It's not about bravery, it's about "adrenaline", eg "thrill-seeking", as you said. There are two types of people in the world; the ones who like thrills and the ones who don't. And I'm proud to be one of the most outstanding representatives of the former type. :approve:

Same here, however, as much as I'd like to try that swing, and I would, I too have an intrinsic fear of heights. I guess my thrill seeking gene has more pull than my fear of heights gene. :biggrin: In fact, probably most of the coolest things that I've ever done scared me half to death at the time.

I tried Air Combat a some years ago, and I must say, the idea of having to parachute from a disabled plane with five minutes of training was about the most terrifying thing that I could imagine, but the allure of playing LASER tag at 200MPH while rolling and looping was too much.

Last edited:
I don't remember those airplanes in the air combat programs having ejection seats. :confused:

That might be fun for someone who has a fear of heights. I've engaged in all sorts of adrenaline-producing activities including skiing downhill flat-out in conditions that were sometimes a bit touchy , but perhaps the most fun was running heavy (class 4-5) whitewater in a low volume kayak or a canoe. Water is relentless and powerful, and every day is different. Sitting on a swing can't bring those rushes.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I don't remember those airplanes in the air combat programs having ejection seats. :confused:

They don't! He said that he would open the canopy and that I was to step out on the wing and jump; he'd probably stay with the plane. :eek:

That was pretty much the parachute training. :rolleyes:

HAAAAHAHAAHAHAH, yeah, right. When the plane goes uncontrollable, the g-forces are going to plant you into your seat.

Otherwise, hell do a controlled landing into a field. That parachute was just to make you feel good when you die, with it strapped on, while strapped to your seat, becasue you never could get out the plane. :smile:

When your doing those kinds of high g manuvers, the airplanes "fails" when the wings fold due to high streses. You're not getting out of that airplane w/o an ejection seat, sorry.

turbo-1 said:
That might be fun for someone who has a fear of heights. I've engaged in all sorts of adrenaline-producing activities including skiing downhill flat-out in conditions that were sometimes a bit touchy , but perhaps the most fun was running heavy (class 4-5) whitewater in a low volume kayak or a canoe. Water is relentless and powerful, and every day is different. Sitting on a swing can't bring those rushes.

We have tried some river rafting, but for me it was mostly surfing and body surfing, motorcycles [street and dirt], and fast cars. I have always had the need for speed.

cyrusabdollahi said:
HAAAAHAHAAHAHAH, yeah, right. When the plane goes uncontrollable, the g-forces are going to plant you into your seat.

Otherwise, hell do a controlled landing into a field. That parachute was just to make you feel good when you die, with it strapped on, while strapped to your seat, becasue you never could get out the plane. :smile:

When your doing those kinds of high g manuvers, the airplanes "fails" when the wings fold due to high streses. You're not getting out of that airplane w/o an ejection seat, sorry.

No doubt, any collision or structural failure was going to be bad news, but he seemed most concerned about having a fire for some reason.

Ivan Seeking said:
No doubt, any collision or structural failure was going to be bad news, but he seemed most concerned about having a fire for some reason.

Of course he was, you guys were dog fighting. :rolleyes:

http://www.geocities.com/saedor/dogfight.jpg

Hahaha, :biggrin:, but in fact I have always wondered about that. Maybe fire is among the likely modes of failure in a high performance, fully aerobatic aircraft?

To be honest, I don't see any reason why the plane should burst into flames under high g unless its a piece of junk. I could understand him worrying about snapping the wings off, but fire? :confused: -its a piston aircraft.

cyrusabdollahi said:
To be honest, I don't see any reason why the plane should burst into flames under high g unless its a piece of junk. I could understand him worrying about snapping the wings off, but fire? :confused: -its a piston aircraft.

Wear on fuel lines, electrical shorts... I'm thinking of vibration induced failures and added wear due to the forces experienced.

But doing a loop does not increase vibrations, mass imbalances create vibrations.

Same goes for fuel lines. I don't really see a fuel line failing because the engine is flowing a high fuel rate. They are rated to take that type of flow rate.

cyrusabdollahi said:
But doing a loop does not increase vibrations, mass imbalances create vibrations.

Same goes for fuel lines. I don't really see a fuel line failing because the engine is flowing a high fuel rate. They are rated to take that type of flow rate.

:rolleyes: I'm thinking more of the 5G loops and vibrations experienced when one exceeds the aerodynamic limits of the aircraft. This happened fairly frequently as the pilot had never flown an airplane before. :biggrin:

Why is it that I would be more afraid of that swing than I would be going for a walk down a city street... in Watts?

Huckleberry said:
Why is it that I would be more afraid of that swing than I would be going for a walk down a city street... in Watts?

I don't know.

Do you live near Watts? Maybe you just need more exposure. :biggrin:

No, I don't live near Watts, and I've never been there. The closest I've been for a walk near there is North Hollywood. I've been around a bit though and seen a few tough streets in my lifetime and I'm no worse off for it.

I just thought it was odd that the chances for any kind of injury on this swing is very small, but I would still be very afraid to use it. Yet, the risk of injury for something as simple as driving a car or walking down just about any street is much higher, and I have no fear of that.

I've done some skydiving before and I was surprised at how easy it was to climb out onto the wing of a plane and let go. Yet, I don't think I would ever go bungee jumping. The ground is just too close, but not close enough!

Huckleberry said:
I just thought it was odd that the chances for any kind of injury on this swing is very small, but I would still be very afraid to use it. Yet, the risk of injury for something as simple as driving a car or walking down just about any street is much higher, and I have no fear of that.
Even though statistically driving a car or walking down a street, or stepping into a bathtub are more dangerous, the "perceived" danger is not as high. I could never get on that swing.

How'd you like to play tennis at the Burj Al Arab Hotel?

Attachments

• Tennis_court.jpg
    Tennis_court.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Evo said:
Even though statistically driving a car or walking down a street, or stepping into a bathtub are more dangerous, the "perceived" danger is not as high. I could never get on that swing.

Careful with that lob. :smile: I wonder how many aces are served? :smile:

Evo said:

Thankfully I don't play tennis. I may never play it again after seeing that photograph. I'll leave the perceived danger to the thrill seekers. That stuff is too scary for me. I'd rather pick up white-water rafting or shark photography.