Is the system linear or nonlinear

In summary: So in summary, the given equation is non-linear because it does not satisfy the properties of linearity in the context of linear transformations. It is also considered non-linear when describing dynamical systems. However, if we think of it as a linear equation (where the left-hand side is a linear function of x and y), then it may be considered linear. This may seem like a contradiction, but it is due to different contexts and definitions being used.
physicsgirl199

Homework Statement

3y(t)+2=x(t)

Homework Equations

k1y1(t) + k2y2(t) + 2(k1+k2) = k1x1(t)+k2x2(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the system is non linear but I cannot explain why. It has something to do with 2(k1+k2) but I am unsure.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsgirl199 said:

Homework Statement

3y(t)+2=x(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the system is non linear but I cannot explain why. It has something to do with 2(k1+k2) but I am unsure.
Why do you say you know it's non-linear?

Last edited:
How are you defining the term "linear"? In some contexts, this term implies that the graph of the relationship is a straight line. In the context of linear transformations, the conditions for linearity are that ##L(x_1 + x_2) = L(x_1) + L(x_2)## and that ##L(cx) = cL(x)##.

physicsgirl199 said:
You put this equation in the Relevant equations section. How is it relevant to this problem?

it is both the properties you have described but I have combined them into one equation.

also it was marked as nonlinear in the solution manual

You could write the given equation as ##y(t) = \frac 1 3 x(t) - \frac 2 3##
Now check the two properties separately.
1) Is ##y(t_1 + t_2) = y(t_1) + y(t_2)##?
2) Is ##y(k \cdot t_1) = k \cdot y(t_1)##?

If both of the above are true for all values of t, the relationship is linear; otherwise, it's nonlinear.

physicsgirl199 said:
it is both the properties you have described but I have combined them into one equation.

also it was marked as nonlinear in the solution manual

I think it is a bit ambiguous.

If your equation ##3y(t)+2 = x(t)## describes a "dynamical system", then it is not linear because if ##(x_1(t),y_(t))## and ##(x_2(t),y_2(t))## are two solutions, the pair ##(x_1(t)+x_2(t),y_1(t)+y_2(t))## is not a solution, nor is ##(cx_1(t),cy_2(t))## for a constant ##c \neq 1##.

On the other hand the equation ##x - 3y = 2## is what would normally be called "linear equation"---meaning that the left-hand-side in ##f(x,y) = c## is a linear function of ##x,y##. Perhaps that is a bit of abuse of language, but it is nevertheless standard usage in describing equations. We do something similar when we call a differential equation such as ##dy/dx + 2 y = x^2## a (non-homogeneous) linear differential equation!

Related to Is the system linear or nonlinear

1. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear system?

A linear system follows the principle of superposition, where the output is directly proportional to the input. A nonlinear system does not follow this principle, and the output is not directly proportional to the input.

2. How can I determine if a system is linear or nonlinear?

A system is considered linear if it satisfies the properties of superposition and homogeneity. This means that the output of the system when two inputs are combined is equal to the sum of the outputs when each input is applied individually, and multiplying the input by a constant results in the output being multiplied by the same constant.

3. Can a system be both linear and nonlinear?

No, a system cannot be both linear and nonlinear. It either follows the principles of linearity or it does not.

4. What are some real-world examples of linear and nonlinear systems?

Linear systems can be found in electrical circuits, where the output voltage is directly proportional to the input current. Nonlinear systems can be seen in chemical reactions, where the rate of reaction is not directly proportional to the concentration of the reactants.

5. Why is it important to know if a system is linear or nonlinear?

Understanding if a system is linear or nonlinear can help in predicting the behavior of the system under different inputs. Linear systems can be easier to analyze and solve, while nonlinear systems may require more complex methods to understand and control their behavior.