Determining if Systems are Linear

In summary: However, the equation ##t^2 y''(t) - 2 t y'(t) + t \sin(t) y(t) = 0## is nonlinear because the last term is a sinusoid and does not change with ##t## .
squelch
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For each of the following, determine if the system is linear. If not, clearly state why not.
(a) ##y''(t)+15y'(t)+sin(y(t)))=u(t)##
(b) ##y''(t)-y'(t)+3y(t)=u'(t)+u(t)##
(c) ##y'(t)=u(t)## and ##z'(t)=u(t)-z(t)-y(t)##

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuitively, I believe that the ##sin(y(t))## term makes (a) nonlinear, while all of the others can be expressed as linear differential equations, but I wasn't sure. I was hoping for a bit of a sanity check on this. Does the introduction of a trigonmetric function like sin() make these nonlinear all of the time, or is it just that the function is nested, e.g. as ##sin(y(t))##?

Physics news on Phys.org
squelch said:

Homework Statement

For each of the following, determine if the system is linear. If not, clearly state why not.

Homework Equations

None

Intuitively, I believe that the ##sin(y(t))## term makes (a) nonlinear, while all of the others can be expressed as linear differential equations, but I wasn't sure. I was hoping for a bit of a sanity check on this. Does the introduction of a trigonmetric function like sin() make these nonlinear all of the time, or is it just that the function is nested, e.g. as ##sin(y(t))##?
The first equation (a), is nonlinear. A linear differential equation consists of a linear combination of the dependent variable (y(t) in this case) and its derivatives. By "linear combination" I mean a sum of constant multiples of the the dependent variable and its derivatives. Having the sin(y(t)) term makes this equation nonlinear.

squelch said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

You are correct: a linear DE is one in which ##y(t)## and all its time-derivatives appear linearly.

That means that we can have coefficients that are functions of ##t## (linear or nonlinear) and still have a linear DE. So, for example, the equation ##t^2 y''(t) - 2 t y'(t) + t \sin(t) y(t) = 0## is still regarded as a linear differential equation.

Related to Determining if Systems are Linear

1. What is the definition of a linear system?

A linear system is a mathematical model that follows the principle of superposition, meaning that the output is directly proportional to the input. This means that if the input is doubled, the output will also double.

2. How do you determine if a system is linear?

To determine if a system is linear, you can use the superposition principle. This involves testing the system with different inputs and observing if the output is proportional to the input. If the output follows a linear relationship with the input, the system is considered linear.

3. Can a non-linear system be mistaken for a linear system?

Yes, a non-linear system can sometimes exhibit linear behavior for certain inputs, leading to the mistaken assumption that it is a linear system. It is important to test the system with multiple inputs to confirm its linearity.

4. What are the benefits of having a linear system?

Linear systems are easier to analyze and understand compared to non-linear systems as they follow a simple mathematical relationship. This makes it easier to predict the behavior of the system and make adjustments if needed.

5. Is it possible for a system to be both linear and non-linear?

No, a system cannot be both linear and non-linear. An input cannot produce both a linear and non-linear output. However, a system can exhibit both linear and non-linear behavior depending on the range of inputs being tested.