Is the Sum of All Triangles Really Infinite? A Problem to Discuss

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the sum of areas of triangles and how it relates to the integral of a function. It is concluded that the sum of all the triangles is infinite, and the example of the harmonic sequence is used to illustrate this concept. It is also mentioned that the number of triangles is uncountable, leading to a divergent sum.
member 428835
Hi PF!

A friend asked me to look at a problem, said it was on his mind. Rather than restate it here (since a picture helps) please check out the attachment. I drew a picture in tikZ and gave my attempt at a solution, but something in my gut feels the answer is infinite. I'd love to talk with someone about it after you look over my work.

My question is, is the sum of all the triangles really infinite? If so, what's wrong with my reasoning on the attachment?

Thanks!

Attachments

• triangles.pdf
    91.5 KB · Views: 190
Physics news on Phys.org
##\int_0^1 f(x) dx## is not equal to the sum of all values f(x) for x ranging from 0 to 1.

I know, but if ##A(\theta)## is the area of a triangle, then ##A(\theta) d\theta## can't also be that area.

I am assuming you are referring to why I took ##\int ds## rather than ##\int A d\theta##.

No. In general, when you have a real function like your A(θ), the sum of all these values will not be given by the integral of A(θ) over the relevant interval, or by the arclength of that function.

It is quite obvious that the sum of all the areas of your triangles is infinite.

To give a trivial example, take the function f: [0,1] → ℝ defined by f(x) = 1.
The sum of all these values is infinite. The arclenght is 1.

Likes member 428835
Samy_A said:
To give a trivial example, take the function f: [0,1] → ℝ defined by f(x) = 1.
The sum of all these values is infinite. The arclenght is 1.
I totally agree, especially since the harmonic sequence ##1/n \in [0,1]##, whose series diverges. I definitely see what the issue is now that you mention it: I wasn't adding up the heights for all ##\theta##; I was adding up the length of the heights.

My initial intuition was that the sum of all the triangles would diverge since the area of each triangle doesn't diminish as ##\theta## changes values at smaller step-sizes.

Does this sound correct?

joshmccraney said:
I totally agree, especially since the harmonic sequence ##1/n \in [0,1]##, whose series diverges. I definitely see what the issue is now that you mention it: I wasn't adding up the heights for all ##\theta##; I was adding up the length of the heights.

My initial intuition was that the sum of all the triangles would diverge since the area of each triangle doesn't diminish as ##\theta## changes values at smaller step-sizes.

Does this sound correct?
The number of triangles is uncountable. Any (however small) interval where the area is not 0 will already give you a divergent sum.

Last edited:
Likes member 428835
Awesome! This is definitely what I was thinking, though I couldn't say it so precise.

Thanks Samy_A!

Related to Is the Sum of All Triangles Really Infinite? A Problem to Discuss

1. What is the Triangle problem?

The Triangle problem is a geometric puzzle that involves finding the missing angles or sides of a triangle given certain information about the triangle.

2. What are the different types of Triangle problems?

There are various types of Triangle problems including finding missing angles, finding missing sides, and solving for all unknowns in a triangle using trigonometric ratios.

3. What are some strategies for solving Triangle problems?

Some common strategies for solving Triangle problems include using the Pythagorean theorem, the law of sines, and the law of cosines. It is also helpful to draw a clear diagram and label all known angles and sides.

4. What information do I need to solve a Triangle problem?

To solve a Triangle problem, you will need at least three pieces of information, which can include the lengths of sides, the measures of angles, and/or the type of triangle (e.g. equilateral, right, isosceles).

5. Are there any special cases in Triangle problems?

Yes, there are special cases in Triangle problems, such as the 45-45-90 and 30-60-90 right triangles, which have specific ratios between their sides and angles. It is important to recognize these special cases and use them to solve the problem more efficiently.