Finding net gravitational attractions in a triangle

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving the calculation of force between two masses. The problem is attached in a picture and the correct answer is displayed. The person has tried to solve it multiple times but keeps getting it wrong. They share their calculations and ask for help in finding the mistake. The expert advises them to recheck their calculation of the force between the masses, as the value they are getting is too small. The expert also suggests checking the handling of scientific notation exponents.
AfronPie
1. The problem is attached in a picture. I've done it five times and keep getting it wrong. The correct answer is also displayed in the picture. Thank you for any help.

2. Fg=Gm_1m_2/r^2

3. I calculated Fg between AB and BC (they are equal). So Fg=(6.67*10^-11)(4)(4)/(.10)^2=1.067*10^-10. Then I drew a triangle (also attached). I labeled the point in between B and C the center of my axis. So when I calculated the sum of the forces in the x direction I got 0. In the y direction the sum of the forces is 2*1.067*10^-10*sin60. I did that and got 2.13*10^-10. Why isn't that the right answer?
hlepmeg-d.png
IMG_0315.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello AfronPie,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

AfronPie said:
1. The problem is attached in a picture. I've done it five times and keep getting it wrong. The correct answer is also displayed in the picture. Thank you for any help.

2. Fg=Gm_1m_2/r^2

3. I calculated Fg between AB and BC (they are equal). So Fg=(6.67*10^-11)(4)(4)/(.10)^2=1.067*10^-10. Then I drew a triangle (also attached). I labeled the point in between B and C the center of my axis. So when I calculated the sum of the forces in the x direction I got 0. In the y direction the sum of the forces is 2*1.067*10^-10*sin60. I did that and got 2.13*10^-10. Why isn't that the right answer?
Recheck your calculation of the force between two of the masses (your Fg). The value you're getting is too small, so check how you're handling the scientific notation exponents.

Likes AfronPie
gneill said:
Hello AfronPie,

Welcome to Physics Forums!Recheck your calculation of the force between two of the masses (your Fg). The value you're getting is too small, so check how you're handling the scientific notation exponents.
Thank you very very much. I did the whole thing right but that one mistake messed it up completely.

Related to Finding net gravitational attractions in a triangle

What is the formula for finding the net gravitational attraction in a triangle?

The formula for finding the net gravitational attraction in a triangle is F = G * (m1 * m2 / d^2), where F is the net gravitational force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

How do I find the distance between two objects in a triangle?

To find the distance between two objects in a triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, d = √(a^2 + b^2), where d is the distance, and a and b are the lengths of the sides of the triangle formed by the two objects and the point where you want to find the net gravitational attraction.

Can I use this formula for any type of triangle?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of triangle, as long as you have the masses and distance between the objects. It is a general formula for finding the net gravitational attraction between two objects in any 2D triangle.

What is the gravitational constant (G) and how is it determined?

The gravitational constant (G) is a fundamental physical constant that is used to measure the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is determined through experiments and its value is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 N⋅m^2/kg^2.

What units should I use for the masses and distance in the formula?

The units for the masses should be in kilograms (kg) and the distance should be in meters (m) in order to get the net gravitational force in Newtons (N). However, as long as the units are consistent, you can use any unit of mass and distance in the formula.