Is the quantum efficiency of a photodiode dependent upon its temperature?

In summary, it seems that the voltage generated by a photodiode is dependent upon the temperature of the device.
Topher925
Like the title states, is the voltage produced by a photodiode, or any PV device for that matter, dependent upon that devices temperature? To rephrase, if you have a fixed amount of photons coming in contact with the business end of a photodiode, is the voltage or current generated by the photodiode dependent upon the diode's temperature?

Engineering news on Phys.org
At the very least, the reverse leakage current will increase with temperature, so even if the photons are generating electron current, some of that current gets stolen back as reverse leakage before doing anything useful.

Do you have a specific application in mind, Topher?

berkeman said:
Do you have a specific application in mind, Topher?

Yes, I'm trying to use a photodiode for a sensor but the thing seems to be drifting all over the place. Its QE seems to change quite a bit over a period of hours and I can't figure out why. The data sheet says the QE should only change about 0.05%/C at the wavelength I am using but its more like 50-75%. The lab temperature I'm using it in only varies by 2-3C over a period of a day so there shouldn't be that large of a drift. I'm hoping I just have something hooked up wrong.

Last edited:
Hmm, that is weird. How much reverse bias are you using in your current-to-voltage converter amp for the photodiode? Are there other sources of noise, either RF or light, that could be causing the drift?

berkeman said:
Hmm, that is weird. How much reverse bias are you using in your current-to-voltage converter amp for the photodiode? Are there other sources of noise, either RF or light, that could be causing the drift?

At the moment I'm just using an instrument amplifier (voltage sensing) because it has fantastic noise rejection but I'm going to try using one with current sensing. My original set up used a shunted resistor with the photodiode in reverse bias but I still think I got a lot of drift from that set up too.

The sensor including the photodiode is optically sealed and there isn't any significant noise. I tested the entire circuit and its rock solid, as in no drift for a period of weeks with drastic changes in temperature. Hopefully when I get some current sense amplifiers the drift will go away.

Related to Is the quantum efficiency of a photodiode dependent upon its temperature?

1. How does the temperature affect the quantum efficiency of a photodiode?

The temperature of a photodiode can greatly affect its quantum efficiency. As the temperature increases, the quantum efficiency decreases, and vice versa. This is because the thermal energy can cause electron-hole pairs to recombine, reducing the number of charge carriers available to generate a photocurrent.

2. Is it possible to improve the quantum efficiency of a photodiode by controlling its temperature?

Yes, it is possible to improve the quantum efficiency of a photodiode by controlling its temperature. By keeping the temperature low, the thermal energy is reduced, resulting in less electron-hole recombination and higher quantum efficiency. However, there may be practical limitations to how low the temperature can be maintained.

3. Does the type of material used in a photodiode affect its temperature dependence?

Yes, the type of material used in a photodiode can affect its temperature dependence. For example, silicon photodiodes have a lower temperature dependence compared to germanium photodiodes. This is because silicon has a smaller bandgap and therefore requires less thermal energy to create electron-hole pairs, reducing the effects of temperature on quantum efficiency.

4. How does the wavelength of light affect the temperature dependence of a photodiode?

The wavelength of light can also affect the temperature dependence of a photodiode. Generally, longer wavelengths of light have a smaller impact on the temperature dependence of a photodiode compared to shorter wavelengths. This is because longer wavelengths require more thermal energy to create electron-hole pairs, making them less affected by temperature changes.

5. Can the temperature dependence of a photodiode be compensated for in its design?

Yes, the temperature dependence of a photodiode can be compensated for in its design. This can be achieved by using multiple photodiodes with different temperature dependencies and combining their outputs in a circuit. This allows for more accurate measurements to be made, even in varying temperatures.