Is the 'Method' written in present or past tense?

• Thread starter ZedCar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, when writing an experiment lab report, the abstract is typically written in the past tense. However, there is no universal rule for the tense used in the 'Method' section, as it often depends on the stylistic convention of the specific journal. It is recommended to follow the guidelines of the teacher or journal being submitted to.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

When writing up an experiment lab report I know the abstract is written in the past tense.

Should the 'Method' be written in the past tense, i.e. this is the way the experiment was conducted?

Or alternatively, should it be written in the present tense i.e. this is how you conduct the experiment if someone is now reading this and conducting it themselves?

Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ZedCar said:

Homework Statement

When writing up an experiment lab report I know the abstract is written in the past tense.

Should the 'Method' be written in the past tense, i.e. this is the way the experiment was conducted?

Or alternatively, should it be written in the present tense i.e. this is how you conduct the experiment if someone is now reading this and conducting it themselves?

Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is not something for which there is a "universal rule" that all scientists follow. Professional, working scientists will just follow whatever arbitrary stylistic convention is dictated by the journal in which they are trying to publish their work. At the end of the day, this is not something that is particularly important either. Just ask your teacher what grammatical convention they want you to follow and go with that.

Thanks cepheid.

Related to Is the 'Method' written in present or past tense?

1. Is the "Method" written in present or past tense?

The tense used in the "Method" section of a scientific paper can vary depending on the style guide or specific journal requirements. However, most commonly, the "Method" section is written in past tense. This is because the experiments and procedures described have already been conducted and the results have already been obtained.

2. Why is the "Method" section written in past tense?

The use of past tense in the "Method" section allows for a clear and concise presentation of the methods used and the results obtained. It also helps to maintain consistency throughout the paper, as the introduction and discussion sections may also be written in past tense.

3. Can I use present tense in the "Method" section?

In some cases, it may be appropriate to use present tense in the "Method" section. For example, if you are discussing a current or ongoing experiment, you may use present tense to describe the procedures. However, it is important to consult the style guide or journal requirements to ensure consistency and accuracy in tense usage.

4. Is it okay to mix tenses in the "Method" section?

In general, it is not recommended to mix tenses in the "Method" section. This can create confusion for the reader and may make the procedures and results less clear. It is best to choose one tense and stick with it throughout the section.

5. How should I refer to previous studies in the "Method" section?

When referring to previous studies in the "Method" section, it is appropriate to use past tense. For example, "Smith et al. (2018) conducted a similar study and found similar results." This highlights that the study has already been conducted and the results have already been obtained.