Is being in something conductive during a storm good?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is safer to spill sugar or salt in a puddle during an electrical storm. It is mentioned that salt water conducts electricity better than sugar water and that being in a conductive puddle may make a person more at risk of being hit by lightning. However, there is also mention of using salt water to divert electricity flow, similar to how protective gear is used when working with wires. The conversation ends with a reminder to not always believe everything found online.
Cheesycheese213

Homework Statement

If you were standing in a puddle. Would it be safer to spill sugar or salt in the puddle during an electrical storm?

I know that salt water conducts electricity better than sugar water.

2. The attempt at a solution
I understand that the salt puddle will conduct electricity better, but I'm a bit confused on whether we want to be the conductive puddle or not?
I originally thought that one should avoid the salt puddle so they wouldn't come into contact with any electricity at all, but then after looking online, people said that they experimented with salt water to divert the electricity flow, sort of the like the metal things people wear when working with wires?

Is choosing the non conductive one or the conductive one better?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cheesycheese213 said:
I originally thought that one should avoid the salt puddle so they wouldn't come into contact with any electricity at all,
This is correct if you are trying to lessen the chance that you will be hit by lightning. The more well-grounded you are, the more likely it is that you will become a lightning rod.
Cheesycheese213 said:
but then after looking online, people said that they experimented with salt water to divert the electricity flow, sort of the like the metal things people wear when working with wires?
Never believe things you read on the Internet.

Oh, wait... o0)

Likes CWatters, gneill and Cheesycheese213

Related to Is being in something conductive during a storm good?

1. Is it safe to be in something conductive during a storm?

It is generally not safe to be in something conductive during a storm. Conductive materials, such as metal or water, can attract lightning strikes and increase the chances of being struck.

2. What are some examples of conductive materials?

Some common examples of conductive materials include metal objects, water, and wet surfaces. However, any material that allows electricity to flow through it easily can be considered conductive.

3. Can being in a car during a storm protect you from lightning?

In most cases, being in a car during a storm can provide some protection from lightning. The metal frame of the car can act as a Faraday cage, directing the electrical current around the occupants of the car. However, it is still important to avoid touching metal surfaces inside the car and to stay away from windows.

4. What should I do if I am caught outside during a storm?

If you are caught outside during a storm, it is important to seek shelter in a sturdy, enclosed building as quickly as possible. If no shelter is available, crouch down low to the ground, with your feet close together and your head tucked. Avoid tall or isolated objects, and do not lie flat on the ground.

5. What are some precautions I can take to stay safe during a storm?

To stay safe during a storm, it is important to avoid open areas, tall objects, and bodies of water. Seek shelter in a sturdy building or a car with a metal roof. If you are indoors, stay away from windows and avoid using electronic devices or plumbing. It is also important to have a plan in place and to stay informed about weather conditions.