Is the criteria for the present perfect tense in Warriner's textbook inadequate?

sevensages said:
Do you own a copy of the Warriner textbook, or were you at a library when you wrote this or what?
I was at my computer. The book is available from Open Library. As is Fowler's.

sevensages said:
What do you mean by conditionals (in terms of grammar)?

What do you mean by reported speech (in terms of grammar)?
Conditionals are basically the structures with the 'if' clause. E.g. 'If I were you I'd type "English conditionals" into your search engine'. There's four (main) types for four different shades of hypotheticals.

Reported speech is a structure used when (wait for it) reporting what was said. In such cases the original sentence's tenses ought to be set back a notch, so to speak. Present simple turns into past simple, present perfect into past perfect, etc.
E.g. if the original sentence is 'Luke, I am your father', and you want to use 'he said' then you report it as 'He said he was Luke's father' (and not 'he said he is Luke's father').

Again, there's plenty websites explaining this in more detail.

I'm not clear on your background or goals, but as was alluded to before, maybe consider picking up a grammar book for advanced learners of English as a second language (C1 - C2 level). Even if you're a native speaker. These tend to be relatively thorough, self-contained, and not overly academical.
Best if you don't limit yourself to any one book, of course.

Likes Klystron and sevensages
Physics news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
I was at my computer. The book is available from Open Library. As is Fowler's.

Conditionals are basically the structures with the 'if' clause. E.g. 'If I were you I'd type "English conditionals" into your search engine'. There's four (main) types for four different shades of hypotheticals.

Reported speech is a structure used when (wait for it) reporting what was said. In such cases the original sentence's tenses ought to be set back a notch, so to speak. Present simple turns into past simple, present perfect into past perfect, etc.
E.g. if the original sentence is 'Luke, I am your father', and you want to use 'he said' then you report it as 'He said he was Luke's father' (and not 'he said he is Luke's father').

Again, there's plenty websites explaining this in more detail.

I'm not clear on your background or goals, but as was alluded to before, maybe consider picking up a grammar book for advanced learners of English as a second language (C1 - C2 level). Even if you're a native speaker. These tend to be relatively thorough, self-contained, and not overly academical.
Best if you don't limit yourself to any one book, of course.

You said that I should seek an English grammar textbook for advanced learners of English as a second language. Why shouldn't I seek an English grammar textbook for advanced learners of English as a first (or primary) language?

What do you think is the best English grammar textbook just for advanced learning of English grammar?

Can you please tell us your background and goals?

Bandersnatch said:
Can you please tell us your background and goals?
I would like to keep my background private except I will say that English is the only language I know.

My goal is to obtain more knowledge about English grammar.