Is the Combustion Chamber Volume for a Lamborghini Aventador Really That Small?

In summary, the Lamborghini Aventador has a 95mm x 76.4mm bore and a compression ratio of 11.8:1. The engine has a displacement of 541.5 cm^3 and a volume of displacement per cylinder of 50 cm^3.
mastermechanic
I was analyzing the Lamborghini Aventador's tech. specs. and it is given Bore x Stroke 95mm x 76.4mm and compression ratio 11.8:1. Then I calculated the volume of displacement and it's 541.5 cm^3 for each cylinder. Then I know the compression ratio as $$\frac{V_1 + V_2}{V_2} = C.R$$ $$ V_1=Displacement,$$ $$ V_2 =Combustion Chamber$$

So V_1 = 10.8 V_2 and from here I found the V_2 as 50 cm^3 and divided it by 70.9 cm^2 ( area of the piston) to be able to find the approximate height of combustion chamber. And I got 0.71 cm.

It seemed weird to me, I grabbed a ruler and it's really really small. I couldn't imagine that a combustion chamber can be such small. There is no place even for manifolds to open and close. Where did I make mistake?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is not necessarily a mistake because there is essentially no clearance required as long as the valve timing insures that both the inlet and exhaust valves are closed at the piston TDC (top dead center).

JBA said:
That is not necessarily a mistake because there is essentially no clearance required as long as the valve timing insures that both the inlet and exhaust valves are closed at the piston TDC (top dead center).
Yeah, but even though there is not, 0.7 cm is pretty small, isn't it? If there is no mistake, Lamborghini engineers did a good job.

CR=(D + PV + DC + G + CC) / (PV + DC + G + CC)

you have to find the piston volume, Deck clearance volume, gasket volume as well.
this only works with flat top piston. any piston dome or piston reliefs ( eye brows) will add / subtract from this formula.

Or take the quick and dirty route. Assuming flat piston head:

upload_2017-8-20_13-3-6.png

mastermechanic said:
Yeah, but even though there is not, 0.7 cm is pretty small, isn't it? If there is no mistake, Lamborghini engineers did a good job.
And that is an average. The closest parts are probably closer to 0.10-0.15 cm apart. And that is cold, with no inertial forces pulling on the piston/connecting rod/crank assembly. The piston is probably almost touching the combustion chamber or valves when in motion.

More info on Quench Quest - Squish, Quench, and Piston-to-Head Clearance

Jack is correct
Aluminum flat top piston with steel or cast iron connecting rod should have 0.15 cm or 0.060" clearance. Les will kiss the cylinder head. I built "quench" head engines running this close with no failure but this is the minimum you can use. Aluminum con rods will require more clearance as they will stretch. Do not forget you have two different materials with thermal expansion rates and the physically will " grow longer" due to heat. I ran this combo at 7000-7500 rpm daily with zero failure.

910.jpg

Likes Ranger Mike
mastermechanic said:
7mm isn't that small. Bit more than 1/4 inch.

Likes Ranger Mike
Knowing the piston to deck height is also important as more than a few engines have pistons "proud" of the deck.

Howler, true, but usually that will just make up for head gasket thickness.

I'd be fairly certain these heads have quench areas, which are quite close to the piston at TDC... that gives a lot more room everywhere else.

Related to Is the Combustion Chamber Volume for a Lamborghini Aventador Really That Small?

What is a combustion chamber volume?

A combustion chamber volume is the space inside an engine where fuel and air are mixed and ignited to produce energy.

Why is the combustion chamber volume important?

The combustion chamber volume plays a crucial role in determining the efficiency and power output of an engine. It affects the amount of fuel and air that can be burned, as well as the compression ratio and combustion process.

How is the combustion chamber volume measured?

The combustion chamber volume is typically measured in cubic centimeters (cc) or cubic inches (ci). It can be calculated by multiplying the area of the cylinder head by the distance from the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder liner.

What factors can affect the combustion chamber volume?

The shape and size of the combustion chamber, as well as the design of the piston and cylinder head, can affect the volume. Other factors such as valve size and placement, spark plug location, and fuel injection system can also impact the combustion chamber volume.

How does the combustion chamber volume impact engine performance?

A larger combustion chamber volume can result in a lower compression ratio and less efficient combustion, leading to decreased power output. A smaller combustion chamber volume can allow for a higher compression ratio and more efficient combustion, resulting in increased power and fuel efficiency.