Help me in design calculation for hybrid car

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation and formula used to determine the horsepower and torque of a hybrid car, specifically a Honda Insight. The engine type, displacement, horsepower, torque, bore and stroke, compression ratio, and valve train are all mentioned for the gas engine, with the formula for calculating power being power = torque * angular velocity. The electric motor's power and torque are also mentioned, with the same formula being applicable. Additional information on the battery's output and rated capacity is provided. It is mentioned that it is possible to calculate the power output of a gas engine from first principles, but it can also be measured on a rolling road. However, there is not enough information provided to calculate power.
chipsmore29
Hye everyone...
My project is regarding with hybrid car.can someone show me the calculation and the formula used to proved this value.taking example honda insight:

for engine:

Engine Type: In-Line 4-Cylinder
Displacement (cc): 1339
Horsepower @ rpm (Combined: engine (SAE net) + electric motor): 98 @ 5800
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm, combined engine (SAE net) + electric motor): 123 @ 1000-1700
Bore and Stroke (mm): 73 x 80
Compression Ratio: 10.8 : 1
Valve Train: 8-Valve SOHC i-VTEC®

how do they get the horsepower and torque?what is the formula used?

for electric motor (BLDC motor):

Power (hp @ rpm): 13 @ 1500
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 58 @ 1000

how do they get the horsepower and torque?what is the formula used?

additional info:

battery specs:

Output (Volts): 100.8
Rated Capacity: 5.75 Ah

I really stuck here...Please help me.Thank you all :)

Physics news on Phys.org
if you use the right units...

Power = torque * angular velocity

(Angular velocity is related to rpm remember)

It's probably possible to calculate the likely power output of a gas engine from first principles (if you are an expert in gas engine design), but it can also be measured on a rolling road. As can the torque.

You don't have enough information to calculate the power yourself. At best you could check that the power and torque are roughly consistent with each other because the give you the rpm.

Last edited:

Related to Help me in design calculation for hybrid car

1. What is the purpose of design calculations for a hybrid car?

The purpose of design calculations for a hybrid car is to determine the optimal specifications and components needed to create a vehicle that utilizes both a conventional engine and an electric motor. These calculations help ensure that the car is both efficient and functional.

2. How do you calculate the power and torque needed for a hybrid car?

The power and torque required for a hybrid car can be calculated by considering factors such as the weight of the vehicle, desired acceleration, and top speed. These calculations can be done using equations such as power = force x velocity and torque = force x distance.

3. What factors are considered in the design of a hybrid car's battery?

The design of a hybrid car's battery takes into account factors such as the desired range of the vehicle, the weight and size limitations, and the type of battery technology (e.g. lithium-ion or nickel-metal hydride). The battery must also be able to withstand frequent charging and discharging cycles.

4. How do aerodynamics play a role in the design of a hybrid car?

Aerodynamics are crucial in the design of a hybrid car as they directly impact the vehicle's efficiency and performance. The car's shape, size, and external features are carefully designed to reduce drag and improve fuel efficiency. This can include features such as a streamlined body, underbody panels, and aerodynamic wheels.

5. What are the main challenges in the design calculations for a hybrid car?

Some of the main challenges in the design calculations for a hybrid car include balancing the weight and size of the vehicle with its power and performance, optimizing the use of both the conventional engine and electric motor, and ensuring the battery can handle the demands of the vehicle. Environmental factors such as temperature and altitude can also affect the performance of a hybrid car and must be taken into consideration during the design process.