Is the Alternating Sum of Dimensions in an Exact Sequence Zero?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, an exact sequence is a sequence of mathematical objects connected by morphisms in a way that the image of one object is equal to the kernel of the next. The alternating sum of dimensions is a mathematical operation where the dimensions of a sequence of objects are added and subtracted in an alternating pattern. This operation is important in determining if a sequence is exact, particularly in algebraic topology where it allows for the computation of algebraic invariants. It can also be applied in other areas of mathematics such as abstract algebra and category theory, especially in the study of homological algebra.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's problem!

-----
Let

$$\cdots \rightarrow V_{i-1} \rightarrow V_i \rightarrow V_{i+1} \rightarrow \cdots$$

be an exact sequence of finite dimensional vector spaces. Show that that alternating sum of their dimensions is zero, i.e., show that $\sum\limits_i (-1)^{i-1}\operatorname{dim}(V_i) = 0$.

Note: It is assumed $V_i = 0$ for all but finitely many $i$, so that the series $\sum\limits_i (-1)^{i-1}\operatorname{dim}(V_i)$ converges.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. For clarification, I made a note on the problem that $V_i = 0$ for all but finitely many $i$. You can find my solution below.
For each $i$, let $f_i$ be the map from $V_i$ to $V_{i+1}$. Since $V_i = 0$ for all but finitely many $i$, there are indices $m$ and $n$ with $n > m$ such that the long exact sequence of $V_i$ reduces to the short exact sequence

$$0 \rightarrow V_m \xrightarrow{f_m} V_{m+1}\xrightarrow{f_{m+1}}\cdots \xrightarrow{f_{n-1}} V_{n}\rightarrow 0.$$

By the rank-nullity theorem, given $i\in \Bbb Z$, $\operatorname{dim}(V_i) = \operatorname{rank}(f_i) + \operatorname{nullity}(f_i)$. Since $\operatorname{ker}(f_i) = \operatorname{Im}(f_{i-1})$ we have $\operatorname{nullity}(f_i) = \operatorname{rank}(f_{i-1})$. Hence $\operatorname{dim}(V_i) = \operatorname{rank}(f_i) + \operatorname{rank}(f_{i-1})$ for all $i$, and

$$\sum_i (-1)^{i-1}\operatorname{dim}(V_i) = \sum_{i = m}^{n+1} [(-1)^{i-1}\operatorname{rank}(f_{i}) - (-1)^{i-2}\operatorname{rank}(f_{i-1})] = (-1)^{n}\operatorname{rank}(f_{n+1}) - (-1)^{m}\operatorname{rank}(f_{m-1}) =0 - 0 = 0.$$

Last edited:

Related to Is the Alternating Sum of Dimensions in an Exact Sequence Zero?

1. What is an exact sequence?

An exact sequence is a sequence of mathematical objects, such as groups or vector spaces, connected by morphisms (functions) in a way that the image of one object is equal to the kernel of the next. This means that the composition of two consecutive morphisms is always zero.

2. What is an alternating sum of dimensions?

An alternating sum of dimensions is a mathematical operation where the dimensions of a sequence of objects are added and subtracted in an alternating pattern. For example, in a sequence of three objects A, B, and C, the alternating sum of dimensions would be dim(A) - dim(B) + dim(C).

3. Why is the alternating sum of dimensions important in an exact sequence?

The alternating sum of dimensions in an exact sequence is important because it provides a way to determine if the sequence is exact. If the alternating sum of dimensions is zero, then the sequence is exact. This is known as the dimension axiom.

4. How is the dimension axiom used in algebraic topology?

In algebraic topology, the dimension axiom is used to study topological spaces by associating algebraic structures, such as groups or vector spaces, to them. The alternating sum of dimensions in an exact sequence is a fundamental tool in this study, as it allows for the computation of algebraic invariants, which can then be used to distinguish between different topological spaces.

5. Can the alternating sum of dimensions be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, the alternating sum of dimensions is a concept that can be applied in various areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra and category theory. It is especially useful in the study of homological algebra, where exact sequences play a crucial role in understanding the structure of algebraic objects.