Is Polar Conversion the Best Approach for This Double Integral Problem?

In summary, the person is having trouble tackling a homework problem and is looking for help. They find that polar coordinates are easier than Cartesian coordinates and are saved by a helpful rule.
CINA

Homework Statement

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3118/intx.th.jpg

Homework Equations

I'm guessing polar conversion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_...rting_between_polar_and_Cartesian_coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble tackling this problem, on one hand Cartesian coordinates seem like a hassle, but turning this into a polar problem will give http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8738/int2o.th.jpg right? This seems like an equally unpleasant integral, what with the cos^3 and all. Am I setting this problem up incorrectly? Can someone tell me the first few steps in doing this problem? I'm fine understanding the problem which the integral applies, just the mechanics on it is getting me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you bothering with polar coordinates? I think that this problem is simpler than you're making out

[tex]I = \int_{-1}^1dz\int_{-\sqrt{1-z^2}}^{\sqrt{1-z^2}} \left(1-2x^3\right) dx = \int_{-1}^1 dz \left[x-\frac{1}{2}x^4\right]_{-\sqrt{1-z^2}}^\sqrt{1-z^2}[/tex]

[tex]I = \int_{-1}^1dz\left(2\sqrt{1-z^2} - \frac{1}{2}\left(1-z^2}\right)^2 + \frac{1}{2}\left(1-z^2}\right)^2\right)[/tex]

[tex]I = \int_{-1}^1dz\left(2\sqrt{1-z^2}\right)[/tex]

Hootenanny said:
Why are you bothering with polar coordinates? I think that this problem is simpler than you're making out

[tex]I = \int_{-1}^1dz\int_{-\sqrt{1-z^2}}^{\sqrt{1-z^2}} \left(1-2x^3\right) dx = \int_{-1}^1 dz \left[x-\frac{1}{2}x^4\right]_{-\sqrt{1-z^2}}^\sqrt{1-z^2}[/tex]

[tex]I = \int_{-1}^1dz\left(2\sqrt{1-z^2} - \frac{1}{2}\left(1-z^2}\right)^2 + \frac{1}{2}\left(1-z^2}\right)^2\right)[/tex]

[tex]I = \int_{-1}^1dz\left(2\sqrt{1-z^2}\right)[/tex]

Doh! That was a lot easier than I thought it was(!), that's the perils of late-night mathematics I suppose. Thanks a lot! You've saved me many needlessly lost hairs.

CINA said:
Doh! That was a lot easier than I thought it was(!), that's the perils of late-night mathematics I suppose. Thanks a lot! You've saved me many needlessly lost hairs.
Not a problem.

A handy rule to remember is that if you integrate an odd function (such as x3) over a symmetric interval about the origin (as we have here), the result is always zero.

Related to Is Polar Conversion the Best Approach for This Double Integral Problem?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in mathematics that involves calculating the area under a curved surface in two dimensions.

2. How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to evaluate the integral.

3. What is the purpose of using a double integral?

A double integral is used to calculate the volume or area of a three-dimensional object or surface. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving multiple variables.

4. Can a double integral have negative values?

Yes, a double integral can have negative values. This can occur when the function being integrated has negative values, or when the region of integration includes areas below the x-y plane.

5. Is there a difference between a double integral and a repeated integral?

Yes, there is a difference between a double integral and a repeated integral. A double integral is used to integrate a function over a two-dimensional region, while a repeated integral involves integrating a function twice over a one-dimensional interval.