Polar Double Integral Between 2 Regions

In summary, to find the area in the first quadrant inside a circle with radius 100sin(θ) and outside a lemniscate with radius √200cos(2θ), the integral must be split into two parts due to the negative values of cos(2θ). The first integral has a range of 0 to π/4 and the second integral has a range of π/6 to π/2. The lower bound for the second integral is changed because the area in the first quadrant is not symmetric. The final answer is 5000.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Find the area in the first quadrant that is inside the circle ##r=100sin(\theta)## and outside the leminscate ##r^2=200cos(2\theta)##.

I have graphed the region as I interpreted it below. The area I am trying to find is the non-shaded, white region.

graph.jpg

Homework Equations

##\int_{\alpha}^{\beta} \int_{r_1(\theta)}^{r_2(\theta)} f(r, \theta)rdrd\theta##

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Determining the limits of the integrals:

Since the area we are solving for is in the first quadrant, and spans the whole first quadrant...

## \alpha = 0## and ##\beta = \frac {\pi} {2}##

As the leminscate is the first polar region we interact...

##r_1(\theta) = \sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}## and ##r_2(\theta) = 100sin(\theta)##

2. Setting up & Evaluating the Integral:

##\int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} \int_{\sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}}^{100sin(\theta)} r dr d\theta =##

##= \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} [ \frac 1 2 r^2 |_{\sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}}^{100sin(\theta)}]d\theta##

##= \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} [5000sin(\theta) - 100cos(2\theta)] d\theta##

##= 5000 \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} sin(\theta)d\theta - 100 \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} cos(2\theta)d\theta ##

##= 5000 [-cos(\theta) |_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}}] - 100 [\frac {sin(2\theta)} {2} |_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}}] ##

##= 5000 [0+1] - 100 [0-0]##

##\int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} \int_{\sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}}^{100sin(\theta)} r dr d\theta = 5000##

Apparently, this is an incorrect answer... I think I am having more of a conceptual problem with the regions than anything else.

Physics news on Phys.org
The inside of the square root gives negative answers for part of your ##\theta## range. What part?
So split your outer integral into two. One for the part where the inside of the square root is positive, and another where it isn't.
What are the limits of ##\theta## for that split?

What should your lower bound for the inner integral be in your second inner integral (Hint: look at the diagram)?

andrewkirk said:
The inside of the square root gives negative answers for part of your ##\theta## range. What part?
So split your outer integral into two. One for the part where the inside of the square root is positive, and another where it isn't.

What should your lower bound for the inner integral be in your second inner integral (Hint: look at the diagram)?

I don't understand, where, and why is my square root giving negative values? And how am I splitting this up? I don't see where I went wrong.

Look at the leminscate ##r=\pm \sqrt{200\cos(2\theta)}## ... What happens when cos(2θ) becomes negative? When does this occur?

We are interested in the portion of the leminscate in the first quadrant; does that correspond with the the θ interval [0, π/2] ?

RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

Find the area in the first quadrant that is inside the circle ##r=100sin(\theta)## and outside the leminscate ##r^2=200cos(2\theta)##.

I have graphed the region as I interpreted it below. The area I am trying to find is the non-shaded, white region.

graph.jpg

Homework Equations

##\int_{\alpha}^{\beta} \int_{r_1(\theta)}^{r_2(\theta)} f(r, \theta)rdrd\theta##

Since the area we are solving for is in the first quadrant, and spans the whole first quadrant...

##\int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} \int_{\sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}}^{100sin(\theta)} r dr d\theta =##

##= \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} [ \frac 1 2 r^2 |_{\sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}}^{100sin(\theta)}]d\theta##

##= 5000 \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} sin(\theta)d\theta - 100 \int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} cos(2\theta)d\theta ##

##= 5000 [-cos(\theta) |_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}}] - 100 [\frac {sin(2\theta)} {2} |_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}}] ##

##\int_{0}^{\frac {\pi} {2}} \int_{\sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}}^{100sin(\theta)} r dr d\theta = 5000##

Apparently, this is an incorrect answer... I think I am having more of a conceptual problem with the regions than anything else.

Look again at the diagram. For some values of ##\theta \in (0, \pi/2)## the ##r##-integration runs from some ##r_1(\theta)## to ##r_2(\theta)##, but for other values of ##\theta## it runs from ##r=0## to ##r = r_2(\theta)##.

andrewkirk said:

Nathanael said:
Look at the leminscate ##r=\pm \sqrt{200\cos(2\theta)}## ... What happens when cos(2θ) becomes negative? When does this occur?

We are interested in the portion of the leminscate in the first quadrant; does that correspond with the the θ interval [0, π/2] ?

Ray Vickson said:
Look again at the diagram. For some values of ##\theta \in (0, \pi/2)## the ##r##-integration runs from some ##r_1(\theta)## to ##r_2(\theta)##, but for other values of ##\theta## it runs from ##r=0## to ##r = r_2(\theta)##.

I apologize for the late response, but I'm sorry I still don't understand what you mean by when it goes negative? I've tried conceptualizing it.

The solution for this problem was also posted by my teacher, but I am still trying to grasp it.

upload_2016-3-29_19-16-59.png

In the first integral, I can understand where the ##\frac {\pi} {4} ## is coming from, as it's the upper bound of the leminscate, but I plotted the image, and the ##\frac {\pi} {6}## seems to correspond to nothing on the region, it seems arbitrary.

I also don't understand why the second integral changes its bounds to (pi/6, pi/2) all of a sudden... I'm just not understanding these bounds at all.

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-29_19-16-51.png
    upload_2016-3-29_19-16-51.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 364
RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

graph.jpg

Homework Equations

Well, you are interested in only one part of the lemniscate which is located inside the white circle.

If you were to plot the equation for the lemniscate, starting at θ = 0, you would have a point located at approximately (14.14,0) on the positive x-axis. However, this point is located outside the region enclosed by the white circle.

What you want to do is calculate the angle at which the lemniscate and the circle intersect after θ = 0 and before θ = π/4; in other words, solve ##100 sin (θ) = \sqrt{200 ⋅ cos (2θ)}## for θ. This value of θ becomes the lower bound of your integration.

SteamKing said:
Well, you are interested in only one part of the lemniscate which is located inside the white circle.

If you were to plot the equation for the lemniscate, starting at θ = 0, you would have a point located at approximately (14.14,0) on the positive x-axis. However, this point is located outside the region enclosed by the white circle.

What you want to do is calculate the angle at which the lemniscate and the circle intersect after θ = 0 and before θ = π/4; in other words, solve ##100 sin (θ) = \sqrt{200 ⋅ cos (2θ)}## for θ. This value of θ becomes the lower bound of your integration.

Okay, thank you, it completely slipped my mind that the theta still traversed the leminscate even after pi/4. My only issue now is solving this equation, which although it is algebra, I'm not have a very good time with it.

RyanTAsher said:
Okay, thank you, it completely slipped my mind that the theta still traversed the leminscate even after pi/4. My only issue now is solving this equation, which although it is algebra, I'm not have a very good time with it.
To make things a little easier, there's a trig identity which you can use on cos (2θ) to convert it to an expression in sin (θ).

SteamKing said:
To make things a little easier, there's a trig identity which you can use on cos (2θ) to convert it to an expression in sin (θ).

##100sin(\theta) = \sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}##
##50sin^2(\theta) - cos(2\theta) = 0##
##50sin^2(\theta) - (1 - 2sin^2(\theta))=0##
##50sin^2(\theta) - 1 + 2sin^2(\theta))=0##
##52sin^2(\theta) - 1 =0##
##sin(\theta) = \frac {1} {\sqrt{52}} ##
##\theta = sin^-1(\frac {1} {\sqrt{52}}) ##

Not really sure what to make of this. How do I get an exact value for the bounds?

RyanTAsher said:
##100sin(\theta) = \sqrt{200cos(2\theta)}##
##50sin^2(\theta) - cos(2\theta) = 0##
##50sin^2(\theta) - (1 - 2sin^2(\theta))=0##
##50sin^2(\theta) - 1 + 2sin^2(\theta))=0##
##52sin^2(\theta) - 1 =0##
##sin(\theta) = \frac {1} {\sqrt{52}} ##
##\theta = sin^-1(\frac {1} {\sqrt{52}}) ##

Not really sure what to make of this. How do I get an exact value for the bounds?
You can't, because there isn't one, except as shown in your calculations.

You can check your solution by substituting this angle into the equations for the lemniscate and the circle and obtaining the coordinates of the point of intersection.

Related to Polar Double Integral Between 2 Regions

What is a polar double integral between 2 regions?

A polar double integral between 2 regions is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the area between two polar curves in a given region. It involves integrating a function in polar coordinates over a specific region in the polar plane.

How do you set up a polar double integral between 2 regions?

To set up a polar double integral between 2 regions, you first need to identify the two polar curves that define the boundaries of the region. Then, you need to determine the limits of integration for both the angle and radius variables. These limits will depend on the shape and orientation of the region.

What is the difference between a polar double integral and a regular double integral?

The main difference between a polar double integral and a regular double integral is the coordinate system used. A polar double integral is calculated in the polar coordinate system, where the variables are angle and radius, while a regular double integral is calculated in the Cartesian coordinate system, where the variables are x and y.

What are some applications of polar double integrals between 2 regions?

Polar double integrals between 2 regions have many applications in physics and engineering. They can be used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of a polar object. They are also useful in solving problems involving electric and magnetic fields.

What are some techniques for solving polar double integrals between 2 regions?

There are several techniques for solving polar double integrals between 2 regions, including using geometric properties of the region, converting to Cartesian coordinates, and using symmetry to simplify the integral. Another useful technique is to rewrite the function in terms of the angle variable and then integrate using the appropriate trigonometric identities.