Is Perpetual Motion Real? Lessons from I Robot and the Laws of Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of subliminal physics lessons in popular sci-fi films and cartoons. It specifically references the movie I Robot, where the 3 Laws that robots must follow are compared to the laws of thermodynamics. The conversation also mentions the use of fake science and impossible devices in cartoons, and the lack of educational programs on television. It suggests the need for more educational content in media and society.
Ki Man
I just noticed as I was writing my research paper on perpetual motion, as I was going over the laws of thermodynamics, I realized that it is like the plot of I Robot.

In I robot, the 3 Laws the robots must follow is like the laws of thermodynamics. The robot/computer program security system thingy known as Vicky or something like that, is the person who comes up with the perpetual motion device. She delivers her logic explaining to the robots that perpetual motion is real or that they should hurt them to protect them. she uses her logic that can't really be argued. Will Smith is like the Physicist who trys to prove the robots or evil or perpetual motion is false. in the end he destroys the creator of the evil logic, but that's too extreme for this. a physicist wouldn't shoot an inventor. but it can be compared to him debunking the theory and stuff.

So, what did we learn today class?

There are subliminal physics lessons in your latest SciFi films.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought Vicky's logic was that humans tend to hurt each other and kill each other, so the best way to protect them would be to keep them in zoos.

Ki Man said:
There are subliminal physics lessons in your latest SciFi films.

And it's normally wrong...

yes it is.

and vickys logic was that they should be kept in zoos and junk, but they must put down the dangerous ones so you know what i mean

my favorite subliminal physics lesson is in those cool spy movies where they have all of these neat physically impossible doomsday devices ;D

Which reminds me of the physics of cartoons if you've never had a look at it before, it's really hilarious.

http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/filmtv/cartoon-physics.html

In vacuum space, loud sounds are even louder because there is no air to get in the way

e.g. Star Wars

Last edited by a moderator:
or the cheap cartoon, jimmy neutron. where he uses fake science and his powerful brain to blast to the moon while leavin his head exposed to the elements in a rocket made of thrown out tool shed pieces.

Reversing the polarity always solves your problems on tv. what will that teach the generation of tomorrow?

darn, my vacuum is broken. maybe i can fix it by reversing the polarity by switching all of the negatives with positives. (5 hours later) okay let's plug this baby in. BAM. Am I going to die? maybe i can reroute my thingy-majiggy to the false-logic-calibrator and save myself. OMG NOOOOOO HELP! AH! SOMEBODY CALL 911 FOR ME CUZ I CANT READ

Last edited:
See, this is why I am against funding education of any type. Cartoons have pretty much screwed everything up, we might as well piss our money into a way to make all grownups live forever.

at least cartoons back then didn't teach fake science. they just had entertaining falls off of cliffs that slightly defied the laws of physics but its not like kids ran around thinking if they jumped off a roof, their legs would fall while their neck stretches. it was playful exageration, not actually saying it was real science using big sounding words. that was just playfull cartoon violence backthen. popeye even taught us to eat our spinach.

*time to build a satalite with a toaster and launch it into orbit with my rocket made of left over sheet metal that has an open cockpit leaving my head exposed to the elements and +6 G-force while i make impossible sharp turns at mach 8*

Last edited:
what we need are educational cartoons and shows with science, math, anything educational in them. what happened to bill nye the science guy, he taught me everything i know about applied physics and matter and that was when i was 3-7 years old. i still use a lot of what he taught me today and they canceled him. canceled. what do we have now to take his place? Little kids walking on the moon in a t shirt and jeans who fly through the galaxy with the miraculous ability to survive without air.

I support any educational programs wether on or off of the air. i don't care if its on tv or in the classroom, i want more learning in our lives.

Related to Is Perpetual Motion Real? Lessons from I Robot and the Laws of Thermodynamics

1. What is "I robot = perpetual motion"?

"I robot = perpetual motion" is a concept that suggests using robots or machines to achieve perpetual motion, which is the idea of a machine that can continue to move indefinitely without any external energy source.

2. Is perpetual motion possible?

According to the laws of thermodynamics, perpetual motion is not possible. This is because energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. Therefore, a machine cannot produce unlimited energy without an external source.

3. Can robots be used to achieve perpetual motion?

No, robots cannot achieve perpetual motion. While robots can be designed to be highly efficient and require minimal energy to function, they still require an external energy source to operate.

4. Why is perpetual motion often considered impossible?

Perpetual motion is considered impossible because it violates the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, and the second law states that energy will always flow from a higher concentration to a lower concentration, resulting in a loss of usable energy.

5. Are there any real-life applications of perpetual motion?

No, there are no real-life applications of perpetual motion as it is not possible. However, there have been attempts to create perpetual motion machines throughout history, but they have all failed due to the laws of thermodynamics.