Is Non-Increasing the Same as Decreasing?

In summary, the author defines non-increasing and decreasing as the same thing, but different authors may have different definitions.
ozkan12
Can we say non-increasing equivalent to decreasing (For sequence or functions) ? İn some book, I see that...Can you say something ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Non-increasing includes the category of constant, whereas I would think many authors would not allow that for a decreasing function.

It's much like the following:
\begin{align*}
\text{Non-negative integers}&=\{0,1,2,\dots\} \\
\text{Positive integers}&=\{1,2,3,\dots\}
\end{align*}

I didnt understand dear Ackbach...What I wonder is non-increasing equivalent to decreasing ?

They're not equivalent in my mind. A horizontal line like $y=f(x)=2$ is non-increasing. That is, it's not getting bigger. But it's also not decreasing - getting smaller. So a horizontal line would be in the set of non-increasing functions, but it would not be in the set of decreasing functions. So the set of non-increasing functions is not equal to the set of decreasing functions. You could define these two sets this way:
\begin{align*}
\text{non-increasing functions}&=\{f|(x_1<x_2) \implies (f(x_2)\le f(x_1))\} \\
\text{decreasing functions}&=\{f|(x_1<x_2)\implies (f(x_2)< f(x_1)) \}.
\end{align*}
One has strict inequality - the decreasing functions - and one does not.

ozkan12 said:
İn some sources, I see that if f function is non increasing, then f is decreasing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotonic_function

İf knowledges in this souce is true, can we say same thing for sequence ?

This is strictly by author. You have to know how the author you're reading defines these terms. It's the true the Wiki seems to define non-increasing and decreasing as the same thing. I would find that confusing. I know other authors do not define it the same way. I'm afraid I'm not able to say much beyond this, other than an author would probably use the same sort of definition for sequences as for functions.

This is very confusing for me...I search these definitions but there is many definitions but they have different properties...I don't know what I do ? Thank you for your attention dear...

ozkan12 said:
This is very confusing for me...I search these definitions but there is many definitions but they have different properties...I don't know what I do ? Thank you for your attention dear...

You have to interpret in context. You work in someone's book like Kirkwood or Rudin, you find their definition, and you go with that while you're working in that book. What book are you using? And how does that author define increasing or decreasing functions? And how does the word "monotone" fit in?

I work on some analysis books and on İnternet resources...But as I say, I found different things..

ozkan12 said:
I work on some analysis books and on İnternet resources...But as I say, I found different things..

This isn't a problem. When you're reading one author, always use his definition. When reading another author, use his definition. Don't mix and match, and you'll be fine.

Related to Is Non-Increasing the Same as Decreasing?

1. What is the concept of non-increasing and non-decreasing functions?

Non-increasing and non-decreasing functions are two types of monotonic functions in mathematics. A non-increasing function is a function that either maintains the same value or decreases as the input variable increases. On the other hand, a non-decreasing function is a function that either maintains the same value or increases as the input variable increases.

2. How can we determine if a function is non-increasing or non-decreasing?

To determine if a function is non-increasing or non-decreasing, we can plot the function on a graph and observe its behavior. If the graph of the function is either flat or decreasing as we move from left to right, it is a non-increasing function. If the graph is either flat or increasing as we move from left to right, it is a non-decreasing function.

3. What are some examples of non-increasing and non-decreasing functions?

Some examples of non-increasing functions include constant functions, exponential functions with negative exponents, and logarithmic functions with a base less than 1. Non-decreasing functions include linear functions, quadratic functions with a non-negative leading coefficient, and exponential functions with positive exponents.

4. How are non-increasing and non-decreasing functions useful in real-world applications?

Non-increasing and non-decreasing functions are useful in many real-world applications, such as in economics, finance, and engineering. These functions can be used to model the behavior of various variables, such as population growth, stock prices, and interest rates, over time. They can also help in analyzing trends and making predictions about future values.

5. Can a function be both non-increasing and non-decreasing?

No, a function cannot be both non-increasing and non-decreasing at the same time. A function can only be either non-increasing or non-decreasing. However, a function can be neither non-increasing nor non-decreasing, in which case it is a non-monotonic function. An example of a non-monotonic function is a sine wave.