Non Increasing and Decreasing Sequence

In summary: According to this source, an increasing sequence is one where the terms are getting larger as the sequence progresses. A decreasing sequence is one where the terms are getting smaller as the sequence progresses. A non-increasing sequence is one where the terms are either staying the same or getting smaller as the sequence progresses. And a non-decreasing sequence is one where the terms are either staying the same or getting larger as the sequence progresses. In summary, an increasing sequence is one where each term is larger than the one before it, a decreasing sequence is one where each term is smaller than the one before it, a non-increasing sequence is one where the terms are either staying the same or getting smaller, and a non-decreasing sequence is one where the terms
ozkan12
Let $\left\{{a}_{n}\right\}$ be a nonnegative, non-increasing sequence and convergence to $a \ge 0$. Can we say that ${a}_{n}\ge a$ for all n $\in \Bbb{N}$ ?

Also, if $\left\{{a}_{n}\right\}$ is a nonnegative, decreasing sequence and convergence to $a \ge 0$. Can we say that ${a}_{n}> a$ for all n $\in \Bbb{N}$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ozkan12 said:
Let $\left\{{a}_{n}\right\}$ be a nonnegative, non-increasing sequence and convergence to $a \ge 0$. Can we say that ${a}_{n}\ge a$ for all n $\in \Bbb{N}$ ?

Also, if $\left\{{a}_{n}\right\}$ is a nonnegative, decreasing sequence and convergence to $a \ge 0$. Can we say that ${a}_{n}> a$ for all n $\in \Bbb{N}$ ?

Hi ozkan12,

Let me give you a hint for the first part. Consider the sequence,

\[\left\{a_n\right\}_{n=1}^{\infty}=\left\{1+\frac{(-1)^n}{n}\right\}_{n=1}^{\infty}\]

İs this sequence convergent ?

ozkan12 said:
İs this sequence convergent ?

Take the limit of the sequence,

\[\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{(-1)^n}{n}\right)=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}1+\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{n}=1+\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{n}\]

What does that equal to?

limit of sequence equal to 1, but this sequence is not non-increasing...

Last edited:
ozkan12 said:
limit of sequence equal to 1, but this sequence is not non-increasing...

Hi ozakn12,

I guess this depends on what you mean by non-increasing. I took it as a sequence that is not increasing. For an increasing sequence each term should be greater than the one before it. Hence this sequence is non-increasing.

The first few terms of the sequence are, $\left\{0,\frac{3}{2},\frac{2}{3},\frac{5}{4},\frac{4}{5},\frac{7}{6},\frac{6}{7},\ldots\right\}$

Dear,

I don't understand, what you say...Can you explain my question ? Because your hint is very strange for me, İn most source, I see definition of increasing, non increasing, not increasing, decreasing, non decreasing vs...And there are very difference between these definitions...Therefore, I didnt understand these definitions...Can you explain my questions without any example...

ozkan12 said:
Dear,

I don't understand, what you say...Can you explain my question ? Because your hint is very strange for me, İn most source, I see definition of increasing, non increasing, not increasing, decreasing, non decreasing vs...And there are very difference between these definitions...Therefore, I didnt understand these definitions...Can you explain my questions without any example...

I guess first we need to get the definitions cleared out. It is true that the definitions can have minor differences according to what source you refer. Did you learn about sequences in school/university? If so could you please write down your definitions for increasing and decreasing sequences or point me to a specific source where you learned these?

Dear,

I learned these definitions from internet, some analysis book etc...I didnt decide that which is true ?

And which is true for non-increasing $\left\{{a}_{n}\right\}$ sequence which is convergent to nonnegative $p\ge 0$.

${a}_{n} \ge p$ for all $n\in \Bbb{N}$ or ${a}_{n} > p$ for all $n\in \Bbb{N}$. Which is true ?

ozkan12 said:
Dear,

I learned these definitions from internet, some analysis book etc...I didnt decide that which is true ?

And which is true for non-increasing $\left\{{a}_{n}\right\}$ sequence which is convergent to nonnegative $p\ge 0$.

${a}_{n} \ge p$ for all $n\in \Bbb{N}$ or ${a}_{n} > p$ for all $n\in \Bbb{N}$. Which is true ?

Refer one specific source, so that you don't get mixed up with the definitions. A good source of reference to learn about the basic definitions of sequences is Pauls Online Notes.

Related to Non Increasing and Decreasing Sequence

What is a non-increasing sequence?

A non-increasing sequence is a sequence of numbers where each subsequent number is less than or equal to the previous number. In other words, the sequence does not increase in value as it progresses.

What is a non-decreasing sequence?

A non-decreasing sequence is a sequence of numbers where each subsequent number is greater than or equal to the previous number. In other words, the sequence does not decrease in value as it progresses.

What is the difference between a non-increasing and a non-decreasing sequence?

The main difference between a non-increasing and a non-decreasing sequence is the direction in which the numbers change. In a non-increasing sequence, the numbers decrease or stay the same, while in a non-decreasing sequence, the numbers increase or stay the same.

What is the importance of studying non-increasing and non-decreasing sequences?

Studying non-increasing and non-decreasing sequences is important in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus, where they are used to determine the maximum and minimum values of a function. They are also used in statistics to analyze trends and patterns in data.

Can a sequence be both non-increasing and non-decreasing?

Yes, a sequence can be both non-increasing and non-decreasing if all the numbers in the sequence are equal. In this case, the sequence does not increase or decrease in value as it progresses, making it both non-increasing and non-decreasing.