Is New College of Florida good for physics?

In summary, New College is a great school to attend if you want to go into theoretical astrophysics or cosmology. They have excellent results in sending their graduates to top grad schools and their physics department is comparably successful in keeping research opportunities available to their majors.
astroman707
I'm wanted to go into theoretical astrophysics/cosmology in grad school, and I'm look for schools that will look very good to graduate admissions, and that will give me a great preparation. New College seems to have exceptional results in sending students to top grad schools according to their website, which says they're tied with Reed in 3rd place for feeder schools. Can anybody confirm this, or has an outlook on their physics department specifically? How do they compare to other physics feeder schools?
Also, I'm considering a post-bac job or research before grad school. How does the college do with placement in that arena?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
astroman707 said:
I'm wanted to go into theoretical astrophysics/cosmology in grad school, and I'm look for schools that will look very good to graduate admissions, and that will give me a great preparation. New College seems to have exceptional results in sending students to top grad schools according to their website, which says they're tied with Reed in 3rd place for feeder schools. Can anybody confirm this, or has an outlook on their physics department specifically? How do they compare to other physics feeder schools?
Also, I'm considering a post-bac job or research before grad school. How does the college do with placement in that arena?
Thanks!

It's hard to look under the hood and get the kind of reliable information you desire.

Lots of liberal arts schools have impressive lists of where their graduates have attended, but that information can be outdated or represent the rare graduate rather than the typical graduate. Here are the questions I try and get answers to before recommending a school for an undergrad in physics or astro:

1. What percentage of your department's majors take the PGRE, and what is the distribution of scores?
2. What percentage of your department's majors publish original research before graduation?
3. Of your graduates heading to grad school, what is the breakdown of attending top 10, top 50, top 100, and other grad schools?
4. What GPA does a graduate likely need from your school to likely be admitted to their desired tier of graduate school?
5. What percentage of your department's majors have research opportunities as freshmen? sophs? juniors? seniors?

Many physics departments market based on the best outcomes their students have experienced. The student making decisions on where to attend needs to understand more the typical outcomes and/or the percentage breakdowns of outcomes. Most departments are pretty successful keeping that information from being available via even advanced internet search techniques. Students usually need to find a reliable contact in the department and ask. Beware the sales pitch.

Did they really give you the information you asked for, or were they trying to maintain a positive vibe with different information, thus avoiding the question?

Dr. Courtney said:
1. What percentage of your department's majors take the PGRE, and what is the distribution of scores?
2. What percentage of your department's majors publish original research before graduation?
3. Of your graduates heading to grad school, what is the breakdown of attending top 10, top 50, top 100, and other grad schools?
4. What GPA does a graduate likely need from your school to likely be admitted to their desired tier of graduate school?
5. What percentage of your department's majors have research opportunities as freshmen? sophs? juniors? seniors?
6. What percentage of your department's majors aspire to go to your desired tier of graduate school?

(Not all physics majors aspire to get into MIT, Caltech, etc.)

Likes Dr. Courtney

Related to Is New College of Florida good for physics?

1. Is New College of Florida known for its physics program?

Yes, New College of Florida has a strong reputation for its physics program. It is one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country and has been recognized for its rigorous and innovative curriculum in physics.

2. What sets New College of Florida apart from other schools for physics?

New College of Florida offers a unique curriculum that combines a strong theoretical foundation with hands-on research opportunities. The school also has state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, as well as highly qualified and dedicated faculty who are actively involved in cutting-edge research.

3. Can students pursue different areas of physics at New College of Florida?

Yes, students at New College of Florida have the opportunity to specialize in various areas of physics, including astrophysics, biophysics, and condensed matter physics. The school also offers a customizable program where students can tailor their course selection to their specific interests within the field.

4. Are there opportunities for undergraduate research in physics at New College of Florida?

Absolutely. New College of Florida is committed to providing its students with hands-on research experiences. Students have the opportunity to work closely with faculty on research projects, present their findings at conferences, and even publish their work in scientific journals.

5. What are the career prospects for physics graduates from New College of Florida?

Graduates from New College of Florida's physics program have gone on to pursue successful careers in various fields, including academia, industry, and government. The strong theoretical and practical foundation provided by the program prepares students for graduate studies in physics and related fields, as well as for immediate employment after graduation.