Is My Jazz Band Practice Too Loud? Concerns About Sound Intensity

In summary, concerns about sound intensity in jazz band practices revolve around potential hearing damage for both musicians and audience members. Sound intensity is measured in decibels (dB), and it is recommended that levels should not exceed 85 dB for prolonged periods. The use of earplugs and proper amplification can help mitigate these concerns. Additionally, regular breaks and adjustments to playing technique can also help reduce sound intensity. Overall, it is important for jazz bands to be mindful of their sound levels in order to create a safe and enjoyable experience for all involved.
UMath1
I recently read about the recommended amount of exposure time to high sound volumes: http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/.

Since I am in the Band at school I was somewhat concerned about if the sound intensity would be too much. Practice time is 120 minutes and our band has 3 tenor saxophones, 2 trombones, 2 trumpets, 5 alto saxes, 1 drummer, and 1 bari sax.

I found that my own tenor comes to 83 decibels.

What would the sound intensity be and would I have reason to be concerned?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends. I think all of these instruments can be played at different volumes. Also, do you have electronic amplifiers?

To have a good idea of the actual sound level you would need measurements. But never fear, there is protection.

https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/music/concerts/

So I measured my tenor sax and its 83 decibels. We don't have electronic amplifiers.

Within a foot of the bell

So, every time you double the distance you decrease the db by 6. So at 2 ft you will be at 77 db and at 4 feet you will be at 71 db etc.

If you are concerned about sound from the rest of the band then you should simply measure it since adding db from multiple sources gets cumbersome.

You've got the technical replies, but heed the post from GEvens.

Yes, you could indeed be in danger of damaging your hearing over a period of time. You would be well advised to wear some kind of ear protection as the damage done when young often doesn't become apparent until later in life - when there's nothing you can do about it! Don't take the risk; take it from one who knows!

I guess I should. I did try measuring it in the band but it turns out the app caps at 85 dB because my device's hardware cannot detect anymore.

So I guess I should just get ear protection.

Related to Is My Jazz Band Practice Too Loud? Concerns About Sound Intensity

1. What is the definition of "sound intensity" in a jazz band?

Sound intensity in a jazz band refers to the loudness or volume of the musical instruments being played. It is a measure of the physical energy of the sound waves produced by the instruments.

2. How is sound intensity measured in a jazz band performance?

Sound intensity in a jazz band can be measured in decibels (dB) using a sound level meter. This device measures the pressure of sound waves in the air and converts it into a numerical value.

3. What factors affect the sound intensity in a jazz band?

The sound intensity in a jazz band can be affected by various factors such as the number and type of instruments, the size and shape of the performance space, the distance between the instruments and the audience, and the amplification or sound system used.

4. How does the sound intensity in a jazz band impact the overall performance?

The sound intensity in a jazz band can greatly impact the overall performance by creating a dynamic and powerful sound, enhancing the emotions and energy of the music, and engaging the audience. It can also affect the balance and clarity of the instruments and vocals.

5. Are there any safety concerns regarding sound intensity in a jazz band?

Yes, high sound intensity levels in a jazz band performance can potentially cause hearing damage or loss, especially for musicians and audience members who are exposed to it for extended periods. It is important to monitor and control sound levels to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.