Sound Loudness: Intensity & Pressure Level - Formula

• Thread starter Gamma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between sound intensity level and sound pressure level and whether they both indicate the loudness of sound. The formula for measuring sound is also mentioned, with the equation dB = 10 log 10 (I/Io) = 20 log 10 (P/Po) being the appropriate one for intensity level. The concept of weighting scales for mimicking human hearing is also brought up. The conversation ends with a question about the accuracy of the equations and a mention of needing to learn more about the A, B, and C scales.
Gamma
Hi,

I have a quesion on sound terminology. When we talk about loudness of sound,are the terms 'sound intensity level' and 'sound pressure level' the same? Are these two terms indicate the loudness of sound?

My tutorial asks to write the formula for measuring sound?? I know the formula for measuring the sound level or loudeness of the sound which is
dB = 10 log 10 (I/Io) = 20 log 10 (P/Po). But measureing sound?

Thanks for any explanations...

Gamma.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Following is the question in my tutorial:

The loudness of sound is based on intensity level measured in decibels using a logarithmic scale and is relative to (a ratio of) the weakest sound the ear can hear

Write the formula for measuring sound

------------------------------------------------------------------

Physics news on Phys.org
Intensity and SPL are not the same thing as you have shown in your equation of intensity and SPL. Usually, SPL is what is measured and intensity is calculated from that. Not always, but usually.

Since the question specifically asks for an equation based on intensity, then the dB = 10 log 10 (I/Io) is appropriate. However, the question is a bit misleading because loudness implies a human interaction with the sound. To be thorough, there are three weighting scales that are employed to help mimic the way humans hear, the A, B and C scales. Usually when someone mentions loudness measurements, the units are referred to as dBa, dBb or dBc referring to the weighted scale used.

dB = 10 log 10 (I/Io) = 20 log 10 (P/Po).

I wrote the aboove because, I is propotional to P^2 and hence

log I/Io = log P^2/Po^2 = 2 log P/Po

Don't these do equations give the same result even though they are measured or calculated differently?

By the way I am not familier with a, b, c scale. I may have to read more on that.

Thanks,

Gamma.

Related to Sound Loudness: Intensity & Pressure Level - Formula

What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is a measure of the power of sound waves. It is the amount of sound energy that passes through a specific area in a specific amount of time.

How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is measured in watts per square meter (W/m^2). This unit represents the amount of sound energy that passes through a one square meter area in one second.

What is the relationship between sound intensity and loudness?

Sound intensity and loudness are not the same thing, but they are related. Loudness is a subjective perception of sound, while sound intensity is an objective measure of sound energy. Generally, as sound intensity increases, so does loudness.

What is sound pressure level?

Sound pressure level (SPL) is a logarithmic measure of sound intensity. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is used to compare the loudness of different sounds.

What is the formula for sound intensity and sound pressure level?

The formula for sound intensity is I = P/A, where I is sound intensity, P is sound power, and A is the area through which the sound is spreading. The formula for sound pressure level is Lp = 10log(P/P0), where Lp is sound pressure level, P is the measured sound pressure, and P0 is the reference sound pressure (usually 20 micropascals).