Dealing with stress in college, my situation....

• Schools
  • Thread starter Posty McPostface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College Stress
In summary, the young woman has a lot of experience with anxiety and depression, along with ADD-PI. She is in her late twenties and is currently pursuing an economics degree with a possible minor in philosophy or psychology. She maintains a decent GPA and is currently taking the right medication for her anxiety and ADD-PI. However, she still has deep concerns with "functioning" and not getting into a funk while being exposed to stress. This has left her with a core belief that she is somehow inadequate or not up for the job. She would appreciate any tips or advice that others in a similar boat or situation have gone through.
Posty McPostface
Hi, I suffer from bad anxiety and depression along with ADD-PI. I know I sound like a basket case; but, have the greatest amount of enthusiasm for furthering my education. I'm in my late twenties and have dropped out of college due to the above issues. However, the curiosity is still unrelenting and I thrive off of intellectual topics and understanding the world better.

With my makeup, I understand that I don't handle stress well and try to avoid it like the plague. However, college is a stressful environment that just can't be avoided unless I do some online college courses instead of physically being present at college. I do have an issue with online education, in that I don't believe it's as deep and thorough as being physically present in a classroom and following the train of thought proposed by the lecturer. On the upside, once I'm in college as opposed to sitting at home and dwelling over my deficits, I feel much better and free from said concerns. A change in environment really makes a world of difference. My intended major is economics with a possible minor in philosophy or psychology after a concentrated effort in medicine and dabbling with engineering while at CC. (Is the minor just redundant?) I maintained a decent GPA prior to dropping out and know I can do better. I'm also on the right medication for my issues and try and practice CBT along with taking some simple supplements for anxiety, such as lavender extract and bacopa. I'm also aware of the resources available once at college, such as CAPS, to support me in possible times of need.

However, I still have deep concerns with 'functioning' and not getting into a funk while being exposed to stress. This has left me with a core belief that I'm somehow inadequate or not up for the job. This is really bothersome because there's no way to disprove that belief, only prove it. It could be a cognitive distortion of some mix of overgeneralization/magnifying the negative/black and white thinking/and, disregarding the positive. I also take things too seriously in life, which is something most college students probably do to some degree, and often oscillate between giving up or giving it my best. 'Giving up' seems to be the default attitude when facing adversity, and that definitely needs to change...

Anyway, as you can see, I am aware of my issues; but, am still hopeful about the possibility of overcoming them. I would appreciate any tips or advice that others in a similar boat or situation have gone through.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for starters it seem like you have a handle on your situation. You're getting help with it, you have techniques for dealing with the anxiety, and you're aware of the resources that you have available to you.

Remember that your goal is to get an education, not to jump through a set of academic hoops for a set of numbers. An education is not really something that you're "adequate" or "inadequate" for. So long as you have to capacity to understand the material, you have no reason not to further your education. It's really just a matter of figuring out how best to do that for you, given your specific challenges.

Make sure you take good care of yourself. It's always easier to meet life's challenges when you're well-rested, eating properly, getting exercise, etc.

I'm glad I came across this, and I just want to share with you that I have similarities to your situation.

I'm only 22, but I, too, have dealt with depression and anxiety throughout my life. However, I am not on any medications or treatments, and in fact, I hide my depression and anxiety from everyone. No one...not even the closest family members or friends...understand my true situation.

I've changed my major several times, had to work a lot at my job just to make money since my family doesn't have much to help me with, and therefore have fallen far behind the standard 4-year bachelor's academic plan. But you know what? That doesn't matter. It's not to late for either of us to figure out what we love and then go do it.

I also often struggle between giving things my best and giving up. I'm an extreme perfectionist (and perhaps I have a mental issue going on that I don't know how to demonstrate or how to diagnose) and often times if I don't feel like I can do something to the best of my ability, then I won't do it at all and will avoid it entirely. I've had days where I seriously wish I could just give up on everything, but other days, I still have things I want to work on in my life.

So you're not alone...I'm not either...and it can be good to spend some time away, to reset, refocus. Then determine what it is you really want to do in life, and then get to work. At least that's what I'm going to try as well.

MrElculver2424 said:
I'm only 22, but I, too, have dealt with depression and anxiety throughout my life. However, I am not on any medications or treatments, and in fact, I hide my depression and anxiety from everyone. No one...not even the closest family members or friends...understand my true situation.
Sorry if I come off as too frank, just sharing some opinions formed throughout the years about the psyche, but, I wholeheartedly suggest that you not internalize your feelings too much or try to hide from them. They need to get talked about, and this doesn't necessarily mean with a psychologist or psychiatrist. It can be a friend or family member. I say this because I've always tended to internalize my feelings which doesn't really help. I don't have a solution for some means of externalizing my emotions. I guess I like to intellectualize a lot to dissociate from the negative emotion.

MrElculver2424 said:
I've changed my major several times, had to work a lot at my job just to make money since my family doesn't have much to help me with, and therefore have fallen far behind the standard 4-year bachelor's academic plan. But you know what? That doesn't matter. It's not to late for either of us to figure out what we love and then go do it.
Awesome positive attitude. Don't ever let that get underappreciated or neglected.

MrElculver2424 said:
I also often struggle between giving things my best and giving up. I'm an extreme perfectionist (and perhaps I have a mental issue going on that I don't know how to demonstrate or how to diagnose) and often times if I don't feel like I can do something to the best of my ability, then I won't do it at all and will avoid it entirely. I've had days where I seriously wish I could just give up on everything, but other days, I still have things I want to work on in my life.
As I understand it, perfectionism is something like reason without emotion, where it's hard to decide what shoes to wear and no decision can be made on the matter on a purely intellectual basis. However, at the same time it can be reasoned with in terms of *do I want to get this task or job done, at all, or just accomplish nothing over trying to do the perfect?* That's how I at least think about perfectionism. Kind of sounds like Zeno's paradox if you ask me.

MrElculver2424 said:
So you're not alone...I'm not either...and it can be good to spend some time away, to reset, refocus. Then determine what it is you really want to do in life, and then get to work. At least that's what I'm going to try as well.

Yeah, thanks for sharing, I hope I could have been of some utility to your situation also.

Related to Dealing with stress in college, my situation....

1. How can I manage my time effectively in college to reduce stress?

One way to manage time effectively in college is to create a schedule or to-do list for each day. Prioritize tasks and allocate specific time blocks for studying, attending classes, and completing assignments. Avoid procrastination and try to stick to the schedule as much as possible. It may also be helpful to break larger tasks into smaller chunks to make them more manageable.

2. What are some healthy coping mechanisms for dealing with stress in college?

Some healthy coping mechanisms for dealing with stress in college include practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, and maintaining a balanced and nutritious diet. It can also be helpful to talk to a trusted friend or family member, seek support from a counselor or therapist, and engage in activities that bring joy and relaxation.

3. How can I balance my academic responsibilities and social life without feeling overwhelmed?

It is important to prioritize and set boundaries in order to balance academic responsibilities and social life. Make a schedule and stick to it, allowing for designated time for social activities and relaxation. It may also be helpful to communicate with friends and family about your academic commitments and to find social activities that also align with your academic goals.

4. What can I do if I feel overwhelmed by my workload and responsibilities in college?

If you feel overwhelmed by your workload and responsibilities in college, it is important to seek support and resources. Talk to your professors or academic advisors about your concerns and see if they can provide any guidance or assistance. Your college may also have counseling services or support groups available for students experiencing stress and overwhelm. Remember to also take breaks and prioritize self-care in order to manage stress levels.

5. How can I stay motivated and focused during stressful times in college?

Staying motivated and focused during stressful times in college can be challenging, but setting realistic goals and reminding yourself of the reasons why you are pursuing your education can help. It is also important to take care of your physical and mental health, as well as to reach out for support when needed. Find a study group or accountability partner to keep you on track, and try to maintain a positive attitude and mindset. Remember that it is okay to take breaks and rest when needed.