Is mechanical engineering good choice for me?

In summary, you may want to consider studying computer engineering if you like maths and physics and are not good at programming. However, it is important to research what degrees, at what schools, may be best for you. Many colleges and universities have course catalogs that you can look through to see if the degree programs have classes that appeal to you. Many scholarships are available to students who apply, so it is important to research these opportunities as well.
umang kapadiya
I like maths & also like physics. So can i make career in mech. engineering ?

I am not good at programming. So if I wish to take computer engineering, it is good choice ?

Please suggest best engineering branches. I'm very confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you like math and physics, why not major in physics? Why do you prefer engineering?

There is nothing wrong with this, but it will help us get a better picture of what may be best for you.

Find out where people have gotten jobs after getting degrees you are considering. Get magazines like Physics Today and Engineering Today and various other things like that. Google and your school librarian will probably be helpful. These are the "happy gossip" magazines of the topic. Find the edition that talks about where recent graduates got jobs.

Then see which of those jobs makes you say "Bingo!" And which of those jobs make you go "Ick! No Thanks!" This will give you some help on what degrees, at what schools, to be applying to.

Also, Google-up some universities and see what their web pages tell you about where recent grads have gone. See anything you like?

Look around the university web sites and see if you can find their course catalog. See if the degree programs for various degrees have classes you find interesting. How does the idea of spending 4 years studying those things make you feel?

Find out about scholarships. Many of them will not consider you if you do not apply. Find out what scholarships you can apply for and have a chance of getting. An extra few $thousand might tip your ideas about which degree at which school you apply for.

You being "not good at programming" might be a result of your ability. But at a high school level it is also possible you just had a teacher who didn't light you up. Don't give it up instantly. Programming can be helpful at many science and technology activities. Take another try at it.

Related to Is mechanical engineering good choice for me?

1. What are the job prospects for mechanical engineering graduates?

Mechanical engineering is a highly versatile field with a wide range of job opportunities. Graduates can find employment in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, energy, and many more. The demand for mechanical engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, making it a good career choice.

2. What skills do I need to be successful in mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other technical subjects. It also requires problem-solving skills, critical thinking, creativity, and attention to detail. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other engineers and professionals.

3. How much can I expect to earn as a mechanical engineer?

The salary for a mechanical engineer can vary depending on factors such as experience, industry, and location. On average, mechanical engineers earn a competitive salary, with the median annual wage being around $88,000 in the United States.

4. What are the challenges of being a mechanical engineer?

Like any other profession, mechanical engineering also has its challenges. The field is constantly evolving, and engineers must keep up with new technologies and advancements. The job can also be demanding, requiring long hours and tight deadlines. However, for those who enjoy problem-solving and working in a fast-paced environment, these challenges can be rewarding.

5. Is a degree in mechanical engineering worth the investment?

Pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering requires a significant investment of time and money. However, it can lead to a fulfilling and financially rewarding career. Mechanical engineers are in high demand, and the skills and knowledge gained through the degree can also be applied to other industries and roles. It is important to carefully consider your career goals and interests before deciding if this degree is the right investment for you.