Is Many Man Would or Many a Man Would Correct in English Grammar?

In summary, the difference between "many man would ..." and "many a man would ..." is that "many a man would ..." is more formal.
DanP
What is the difference (if any) between "many man would ... " and "many a man would ..." .
Which form is correct, and why ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
DanP said:
What is the difference (if any) between "many man would ... " and "many a man would ..." .
Which form is correct, and why ?

Thanks
The first form is incorrect. Perhaps you meant "many men would ..." In that case either is acceptable and they mean the same thing. The second one is old-fashioned.

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:
The first form is incorrect. Perhaps you meant "many men would ..." In that case either is acceptable and they mean the same thing. The second one is old-fashioned.

I see. Thank you man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZJQlddwuvY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZJQlddwuvY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

Last edited by a moderator:
DanP said:
and why ?
This is hard to answer.

The first ("many man") is incorrect because of the meaning of the adjective many:

Main Entry: 1many
Pronunciation: \ˈme-nē\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): more \ˈmȯr\; most \ˈmōst\
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English manig; akin to Old High German manag many, Old Church Slavic mŭnogŭ much
Date: before 12th century

1 : consisting of or amounting to a large but indefinite number <worked for many years>
2 : being one of a large but indefinite number <many a man> <many another student>

— as many : the same in number <saw three plays in as many days>

Because a "large" number is automatically more than one the plural of "man" is required: "men".

How they get around this in the old fashioned construction ("many a man") is beyond me. It seems to be correct simply by virtue of the fact everyone says it that way.

Here is what the oed has to say about 'many a', under the headword 'many'.

oed said:
d. many a(n) one: = 'many a person'. Now chiefly colloq. Also placed after a plural n.
1509 Barclay Ship of Fools (1874) II. 297 Thy apparayle Aleyed gayly with perles many a one.

from Oklahoma! by Oscar Hammerstein II:

Many a new face will please my eye
Many a new love will find me
Never have I once looked back to sigh
Over the romance behind me
Many a new day will dawn before I do!

Many a like lad may kiss and fly
A kiss gone by is bygone.
Never have I asked an August sky
"Where has last July gone?"
Never have I wandered through the rye
Wondering "where has some guy gone?"
Many a new day will dawn before I do.

Never have I chased the honeybee
Who carelessly cajoled me
Somebody jist as sweet as he
Cheered me and consoled me.
Never have I wept into my tea
Over the deal someone doled me

Many a new day will dawn

Many a red sun will set

Many a blue moon will shine
Before I do!

tiny-tim said:
from Oklahoma! Many a new day will dawn before I do.
Thanks t-t! I've been going crazy humming that since the thread started and couldn't put my finger on it!

Related to Is Many Man Would or Many a Man Would Correct in English Grammar?

What is the difference between grammar and English?

Grammar is a set of rules that govern the structure and usage of language, while English is a specific language that follows those rules. In other words, grammar is the system and English is the specific implementation of that system.

What are some key grammatical differences between English and other languages?

Some key grammatical differences between English and other languages include word order, verb tense and conjugation, noun gender, and sentence structure. For example, English follows a subject-verb-object word order, while some languages follow a subject-object-verb word order.

How does grammar impact the meaning of a sentence in English?

Grammar plays a crucial role in conveying the intended meaning of a sentence in English. Incorrect grammar can change the meaning of a sentence or make it unclear, while correct grammar ensures that the intended meaning is communicated effectively.

Why is it important to have a strong understanding of grammar in English?

Having a strong understanding of grammar in English is important for effective communication. It helps us convey our thoughts and ideas accurately and clearly, and also aids in understanding and interpreting the language correctly.

Are there different types of grammar in English?

Yes, there are different types of grammar in English, such as descriptive grammar, prescriptive grammar, and transformational grammar. Each type focuses on different aspects of the language and can be used for different purposes, such as describing how the language is used versus prescribing how it should be used.