English Honorifics (or smth) for translation of a story

In summary, Mr. Engineer is the perfect translation for the habit of using someone's job title in Polish.
Borek
Mentor
Oh, combined wisdom of PF-ers, I seek your help again (and probably not for the last time).

We are working on a translation of a story into English. Thing takes place in Poland, now and then, and at some point our main hero meets a woman (named Miecia) that fourty years ago worked as a non-resident housekeeper at her grandparents. Miecia tells an important story about things that happened in the past. Problem is, whenever she speaks about her then-host she uses form "pan inżynier" (Mr. Engineer, that's just the way these things work in Polish). This reflects a combination of respect and adoration, amplified by the fact Miecia is from the sticks while the host was an educated engineer from the large city. We can't find anything similar in English.

Can you think of a honorific (or something of this type) that would leave the English reader with similar feelings about the story and Miecia's attitude?

(in a few weeks I will explain what is it about, I think some of you may find the project interesting)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Jim, or whatever his first name is. Particularly if you use a nickname form of his first name. It's not particularly common, but I used it for my Mum's best friend's Dad when I was a kid - a very informal friendly chap, but 70+ years older than me. "Jim" would have been odd coming from a child, "Mr Smith" too formal, and he wasn't a relative to be called Grandad or anything.

Likes Klystron, Borek, hutchphd and 1 other person
Borek said:
whenever she speaks about her then-host she uses form "pan inżynier" (Mr. Engineer, that's just the way these things work in Polish).
Maybe I am unable to understand the main problem properly but I find no problem with mr.engineer,I thought about it for about 10-15 minutes and also tried to fit my myself in miecea chracter😅 but still I can't think anything more perfect than this.

Likes Borek
I think you might get different answers for American-English, British-English, Indian-English, Australian-English, etc, because this is not just about language, it's about cultural differences.

In the UK, you might address someone as "Sir" (on its own, without a profession or name) as a mark of respect or deference, but you wouldn't use that when referring to them in the third person.

However, if you are translating into English a story that is still set in Poland, then I think the reader might accept "Mr Engineer" as a Polish form of address, and would infer the intended meaning correctly.

Likes Frigus, Borek, Tom.G and 1 other person
I'm wondering whether something like 'the good engineer' would work as a more natural-sounding form of address? Formed by analogy with 'the good doctor'.

"Mr Engineer" is a good translation.

Borek said:
Can you think of a honorific (or something of this type) that would leave the English reader with similar feelings about the story and Miecia's attitude?
The habit of using someone's job title is not really done in English, apart from a medical doctor. So, there is no English idiom available. Whatever you use will inevitably convey the European context of the story. You get that in the films of Bergman or the plays of Ibsen, for example. The way characters are addressed reveals the play cannot be set in an English-speaking country. In England this sort of respect (sadly perhaps) would be reserved for titled persons. "His Lordship".

This is just my opinion, but if she always adds "the engineer" after his surname that may suggest the sort of deference you are looking for. "Well, Mr Kowalski, the engineer, liked coffee for his breakfast. Mr Kowalski, the engineer, was very particular about that." The only risk is that you make it too comical! That may be one way to achieve:

Borek said:
This reflects a combination of respect and adoration, amplified by the fact Miecia is from the sticks while the host was an educated engineer from the large city.

Thanks for your comments. Mr. Engineer it is. It is just a few phrases, so even if they will sound strange to some readers they won't make whole story difficult to read. Quite the opposite, hopefully they will just add a bit of flavor.

Borek said:
Thing takes place in Poland...
Then I think a possible point of the translation is exactly to preserve the difference and not to find an acceptable English counterpart. Just be consistent with it.
I do agree with others, Mr. Engineer is a good one. Maybe you can add a name if you feel so.

1. What are English honorifics?

English honorifics are titles or forms of address used to show respect or politeness towards a person. They are typically used before a person's name or as a standalone title, and can indicate their professional status, gender, marital status, or age.

2. How are honorifics translated in a story?

The translation of honorifics in a story depends on the context and cultural norms of the target language. In some languages, honorifics may be translated literally, while in others they may be omitted or replaced with a similar term of respect. The translator must consider the intended tone and meaning of the honorific in the original language and find the equivalent in the target language.

3. Are honorifics necessary to include in a translation?

It depends on the story and the target audience. In some cases, honorifics may be important for understanding the relationships and social dynamics between characters. In other cases, they may not be necessary and can be omitted without affecting the overall meaning of the story. The translator should consider the cultural context and make a decision based on the purpose and audience of the translation.

4. How do honorifics differ between languages?

Honorifics can vary greatly between languages and cultures. For example, in English, the most common honorifics are Mr., Mrs., Miss, and Ms., while in Japanese, there are numerous honorifics based on the person's rank, age, and relationship to the speaker. In some languages, there may not be a direct equivalent to a specific honorific, so the translator must find the closest alternative that conveys the same level of respect.

5. Can honorifics change the meaning of a story in translation?

In some cases, honorifics can change the meaning of a story in translation. For example, if a character is referred to with a specific honorific that indicates their social status or relationship to another character, omitting or mistranslating the honorific could alter the dynamics between the characters and the overall plot. It is important for the translator to understand the cultural significance of honorifics and use them appropriately in the translation to maintain the integrity of the story.