Is kinematics/dynamics an everyday part of the job?

• Thread starter [Quadratic]
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the speaker is a math major who is also taking their first physics class. They have always been interested in physics but find their current class boring and challenging. They wonder if this means they are not cut out for physics, but others assure them that it will get more interesting in future courses like E&M and quantum mechanics. They also mention considering switching to a physics major.
[Quadratic]
I'm a math major currently in calc 3, and I'm also taking my first ever physics class. I've always had a very strong interest in physics from pop-sci books and Feynman's lectures, and I fantasized about doing some work in physics, possibly even changing majors. The problem I find myself having is I find this physics class to be incredibly boring. It is an 8:00 am class and my teacher doesn't exactly get me excited for her lectures, and I just do not find this class to be enjoyable at all. I also don't think I'm very good at it, average at best.

So, getting to the point, is this stuff crucial to every physicist all of the time, regardless of their field? Does it get better/more interesting? Is the fact that I'm not enjoying this class a sign that I probably do not have a future in physics? Or is it one of those classes that you just have to get through in order to get to the good stuff?

Also I'm taking a pretty heavy course load and do not have the time to really dedicate to learning the material as deeply as I should, and as long as I survive the rest of this semester I'm going to take it a little easier on myself in the spring when I take physics II. Hopefully it won't be as bad.

Physics news on Phys.org
is this stuff crucial to every physicist all of the time, regardless of their field?
No. It is crucial to be able to learn and understand new things quickly, but which areas you'll need really depends on the actual project.
Does it get better/more interesting?
Hard to tell, different people are interested in different things.

I'd say it will inevitably get more interesting. Physics II is so much more "magical" than Physics 1. Physics 1 IMO just mathematizes kind of obvious stuff about movement of objects. Physics II, I knew absolutely nothing about before I took it, and found than E&M is a truly beautiful subject. I chose to major in EE partially as a result of this class, (although the upperclassmen EE version of Electromagnetics wasn't nearly as captivating as the intro calc based physics E&M course).

I majored in EE but I probably should have majored in physics. I chose EE because it served as an "employable math degree" but I still feel pretty unemployable and probably should just not have been a wimp about it and done physics.

Last edited:
X89codered89X said:
I'd say it will inevitably get more interesting. Physics II is so much more "magical" than Physics 1. Physics 1 IMO just mathematizes kind of obvious stuff about movement of objects. Physics II, I knew absolutely nothing about before I took it, and found than E&M is a truly beautiful subject. I chose to major in EE partially as a result of this class, (although the upperclassmen EE version of Electromagnetics wasn't nearly as captivating as the intro calc based physics E&M course).

I majored in EE but I probably should have majored in physics. I chose EE because it served as an "employable math degree" but I still feel pretty unemployable and probably should just not have been a wimp about it and done physics.

Thanks. I've heard the same sentiment about E&M from a couple other people. I'm definitely looking forward to it and I suppose I will continue taking physics courses and see how it goes.

[Quadratic];4570609 said:
Thanks. I've heard the same sentiment about E&M from a couple other people. I'm definitely looking forward to it and I suppose I will continue taking physics courses and see how it goes.

If you like pop-science books and are decent at math, QM will blow your mind. I still can't believe it almost 20 years later!

analogdesign said:
If you like pop-science books and are decent at math, QM will blow your mind. I still can't believe it almost 20 years later!

My lab instructor invited me to sit in on his QM class next semester but I'm not sure my schedule will allow it. I bet it's awesome (and probably a little intense)! :)

Just going over old posts and curious if You're in physics 2 this semester.

Related to Is kinematics/dynamics an everyday part of the job?

1. What is kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics and dynamics are two branches of classical mechanics that deal with the motion of objects. Kinematics focuses on describing the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics studies the relationship between motion and the forces that cause it.

2. How is kinematics and dynamics used in everyday life?

Kinematics and dynamics are used in many aspects of everyday life, from driving a car to playing sports. For example, when driving a car, kinematics is used to describe the motion of the car, while dynamics is used to understand the forces that control the car's speed and direction.

3. Is kinematics and dynamics only used in physics-related jobs?

No, kinematics and dynamics are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, robotics, and biomechanics. They are important in understanding and designing structures, machines, and systems.

4. How do scientists use kinematics and dynamics in their research?

Scientists use kinematics and dynamics to study the motion of objects in their research. This can range from studying the movement of planets and stars in astrophysics to the flight of insects in biology. Kinematics and dynamics equations are also used to develop models and simulations to better understand complex systems.

5. Can kinematics and dynamics be applied to different types of motion?

Yes, kinematics and dynamics can be applied to a wide range of motion, including linear motion (e.g. walking), rotational motion (e.g. spinning), and projectile motion (e.g. throwing a ball). The principles of kinematics and dynamics can be applied to any type of motion, making them versatile tools for understanding and analyzing the physical world.