Is Jim Carrey's Latest Movie All About the Number 23 and Math?

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the conversation covers different opinions on the movie "The Number 23" starring Jim Carrey. Some people think it's about math and numerology, while others think it's just a movie trying to be about math but actually isn't. There is also a discussion on Jim Carrey's acting abilities and the role of comedians in Hollywood. The conversation also touches on the topic of numerology and its validity in finding connections between things. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the movie and its themes should not be taken too seriously, as it is just a form of entertainment.
fourier jr
& here I was thinking there was nothing special about the number 23 except that it's a prime. (actually wikipedia has a bunch of stuff on it) :rolleyes: My first thought was that it's a movie that tries to be about math but actually isn't & therefore will mislead people as to what math is actually about (or not?). It doesn't look realistic at all but maybe it will be entertaining anyway. Maybe I'll check it out.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481369/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Number_23

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh,... i misread. I thought "Jim Carrey's last movie"...

Damn, maybe next time.

Have you seen eternal sunshine of the spotless mind?
that is a very cool concept, also well acted by the big J C

fourier jr said:
& here I was thinking there was nothing special about the number 23 except that it's a prime. (actually wikipedia has a bunch of stuff on it) :rolleyes: My first thought was that it's a movie that tries to be about math but actually isn't & therefore will mislead people as to what math is actually about (or not?). It doesn't look realistic at all but maybe it will be entertaining anyway. Maybe I'll check it out.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481369/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Number_23
I think it's about numerology.

Carrey redeemed himself with Truman's World and ESotSM - good and great movies respectively.

Do you mean the Truman Show :blushing:

DaveC426913 said:
I think it's about numerology.

Carrey redeemed himself with Truman's World and ESotSM - good and great movies respectively.

23 trailer on youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
dextercioby said:

Damn, maybe next time.
My sentiments exactly.

kind of offtopic: this may sound kind of strange, but as i was going throgh imdb.com in searching for a "cool" movie. i saw the "Number 23" trailer and instantanely i remember that I'm born on the 23rd. i read what i could find in the wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_23_enigma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discordianism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_23 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eris_%28mythology%29) , about the astrology, greek mithology,the prime numbers and felt really strange. then i sum the numbers of the year when i was born and again it was 23. now that i read that the number is connected with the 23 enigma which refers to the Discordian belief, I'm really shocked.
if someone can tell me more about this "coincidense", i'll be grateful

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Jeez. You're starting down the slippery slope of numerology.

von Daniken's proof that the Statue of Liberty was a gift from aliens is that it's height in rods is the number of parsecs to Siruis minus the number of leap years since the Napoleonic wars.

Or some such nonsense...

The point is, you can find numerical connections between anything - if you look hard enough and arbitrarily enough. There are no fixed rules for what constitutes a valid connection. Don't find a connection? make up another comparison method!

And the overtones of numerology (numeridiocy?) is what is stopping me from seeing the movie.

Remember that there are, in fact, 2 towers. 2-1 is 1. 1,1: 11. 2-1 is 1. 1,1. And there are 9 members on Silverstein's board of directors. That's 9,1,1: 9/11. And take 2-1 + 9/11 and you get 12. Which leads us all to the master mind of the 9/11 attacks…Kyle!

- cartman :smile:

I think his math was off, but it goes to show you that connections can be thought up with enough... creativity?

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:

von Daniken's proof that the Statue of Liberty was a gift from aliens is that it's height in rods is the number of parsecs to Siruis minus the number of leap years since the Napoleonic wars.

Or some such nonsense...

The point is, you can find numerical connections between anything - if you look hard enough and arbitrarily enough. There are no fixed rules for what constitutes a valid connection. Don't find a connection? make up another comparison method!

And the overtones of numerology (numeridiocy?) is what is stopping me from seeing the movie.

I agree 100%.

dextercioby said:

Damn, maybe next time.

I like Jim carrey. I think he's one of the most misunderstood actors in hollywood... ok, so he's no deniro or jack nicholoson. but he's not a bad actor, and he does have a special presence on screen.

He's a hilarious stand-up comedian (shame he stopped), he's made many of the classic movies of the stupid-comedy genre -- a genre that I think is very underrated. it's ridiculous that the oscars don't have a comedy award... think about how many comedies just plain suck. it's very hard to make a good comedy! and it's a shame comedians aren't seen as "true artists" by many ... especially considering that comedy is one of the oldest forms of entertainment.

eternal sunshine of a spotless mind is probably one of my favorite movies, and I think he was perfect for the part. he also did a great job in truman show... people are too harsh on jim carrey (and comedians in general) I think.

DaveC426913 said:

Or some such nonsense...

sometimes I hear that guy in my head too... but then I remember: IT'S JUST A MOVIE!

yes, I know when I watch star wars that it's ridiculous for a spaceship to make a "whoosh" sound in space, or for someone to be able to jump out of the way when shot by laser (a.k.a LIGHT!) ... but then I remember: it doesn't matter, a movie doesn't have to obey the laws of nature or logic, it just has to obey the laws of the world created within the movie... if in the world of star-wars laser beams somehow shoot at ridiculously slow speeds, then so be it!

sure it's great to watch movies like squid and the whale that really make you think... but sometimes it's also great to turn off your brain, go along for the ride, and watch will ferell and chris kattan tell that stupid "EMILLIOO!" story in night at the roxbury.

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
sometimes I hear that guy in my head too... but then I remember: IT'S JUST A MOVIE!

But not to everyone else.

You have to remember that for most people movies is the only source of education they get. Sadly.

moe darklight said:
...but sometimes it's also great to turn off your brain, go along for the ride...
Yes. But it is critical to remember to turn it back on again when you leave the theatre. :rolleyes:

DaveC426913 said:
Yes. But it is critical to remember to turn it back on again when you leave the theatre. :rolleyes:

Thanks for reminding me! :biggrin:

moe darklight said:

yes, I know when I watch star wars that it's ridiculous for a spaceship to make a "whoosh" sound in space, or for someone to be able to jump out of the way when shot by laser (a.k.a LIGHT!) ... but then I remember: it doesn't matter, a movie doesn't have to obey the laws of nature or logic, it just has to obey the laws of the world created within the movie... if in the world of star-wars laser beams somehow shoot at ridiculously slow speeds, then so be it!

sure it's great to watch movies like squid and the whale that really make you think... but sometimes it's also great to turn off your brain, go along for the ride, and watch will ferell and chris kattan tell that stupid "EMILLIOO!" story in night at the roxbury.

I agree 100%! If I was interested in facts, I'd watch a documentary or read a book. I go to movies for silly entertainment that is an escape from the real world.

Jim Carrey is one of those people who I just can't reliably say I'm going to like a movie or not like a movie because he's in it. Some have been fabulous and some horrid.

Related to Is Jim Carrey's Latest Movie All About the Number 23 and Math?

1. What is Jim Carrey's latest movie about?

Jim Carrey's latest movie is a comedy about a man who discovers he has the ability to time travel and starts using it to fix his past mistakes.

2. Who else stars in Jim Carrey's latest movie?

The movie also stars Emma Stone as Jim Carrey's love interest and Adam Sandler as his best friend.

3. Is Jim Carrey's latest movie a remake or an original story?

It is an original story written specifically for Jim Carrey. It is not a remake or based on any existing material.

4. When is Jim Carrey's latest movie set to be released?

The movie is set to be released in theaters on August 14, 2020.

5. Who directed Jim Carrey's latest movie?

The movie was directed by Jason Reitman, known for his work on "Juno" and "Up in the Air".