Is it worth retaking this course?

• Courses
  • Thread starter jeremmed77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary: The problem is that it could cost you hundreds of dollars to take the course again, which could impact your grad school applications. If you're okay with the possibility of having a lower GPA, then by all means retake the course. However, if you're more worried about the admission process, then it might not be the best idea.
jeremmed77
First let me give you some information about myself. I am currently a freshmen in college who is planning on getting an undergraduate degree in Physics. During my junior/senior years at high school i took two years worth of college courses. The problem is that I got a D in an upper level English class. This brought my grade point average down from a 3.8 to a 3.6.

I know that if I retake the course, the new grade will replace the older one. However, I do not know if graduate schools will replace the new grade with the old grade or not when they look at my application. For instance, I know that medical/pharmacy schools only average the two grades out. Do grad schools do this too? I also would like to hear your opinion on whether you think it is worth retaking it or not. Do grad schools care about your non-science classes?Any help would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
gard school definitely care about what other courses you take.
in fact, they view English as an important course.
see here in Canada, they would be able to see that you took the course twice however, if there were some major improvement ( so for example if you went from a D to a B or even an A) then for sure they will consider you to be a really good candidate because it shows commitment and dedication.
word of advise, use the schooling system that your area has to your own advantage. what i mean for that, you seem to me like a pretty smart guy, you don't want one course to sop you from getting to where you want to be. so do anything to get the mark that you need. so if there are night schools available then take that, it might be a bit easier then day school. or summer school would be fine as well. and if worse comes to worst then go to private school.
so good luck to you and hope what i said helps :)
( i need some advise for myself. lol I am starting to apply to universities soon:S)

I would make sure retaking the course will have the effect you think it will. And by that, I mean ask at least two different people know what they're talking about and make sure they agree.

I failed freshmen chemistry, then took it again and got an A. But I still have a nice big 0.00 bringing my GPA down.

If you're talking about physics grad school, no will care about your english class. They don't care for anything other than physics/math. Does it even appear on your college transcript though, if you took it in high school?

Of all the things you can do to boost your chances for grad school retaking the class is probably worst possible choice. Not going to say it won't increase your chances (by 0.001% probably), but there are many better things to spend your time on.

negru said:
Of all the things you can do to boost your chances for grad school retaking the class is probably worst possible choice. Not going to say it won't increase your chances (by 0.001% probably), but there are many better things to spend your time on.

You're right it doesn't make sense that the grade would affect his average if he took it in high school. But he did say that it brought his GPA from 3.8 to 3.6. In that case it would have an impact on grad school applications. 3.8 looks way better than a 3.6.

Phyisab**** said:
I failed freshmen chemistry, then took it again and got an A. But I still have a nice big 0.00 bringing my GPA down.

That is what I am trying to avoid. I want to know if graduate schools will let me replace the grade if I retake it. From your experience, it sounds like they may not completely get rid of the worse grade. Like I said before, Pharmacy schools average the two grades out, but I want to know what physics grad schools generally do.

Phyisab**** said:
You're right it doesn't make sense that the grade would affect his average if he took it in high school. But he did say that it brought his GPA from 3.8 to 3.6. In that case it would have an impact on grad school applications. 3.8 looks way better than a 3.6.

I went to college when I was in my Junior/Senior year of high school in order to get ahead start. That is why it is recorded on my undergraduate gpa. The problem is that this course will cost me three/four hundred dollars, so if it does not matter too much on grad school admission, I would prefer not to take it. I do know that it has had an enormous impact on my gpa. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Related to Is it worth retaking this course?

What are the benefits of retaking a course?

Retaking a course can help improve your understanding and mastery of the subject matter. It can also improve your overall grade and GPA, which can be important for graduate school or job applications. Additionally, retaking a course can provide an opportunity to correct any mistakes or misunderstandings from the first time you took the course.

Is it worth the time and effort to retake a course?

This depends on your individual situation. If you struggled in the course and need a better grade for your academic or career goals, then retaking the course may be worth the time and effort. However, if you passed the course with a satisfactory grade and do not need to improve your understanding of the subject, it may not be necessary to retake the course.

What factors should I consider before retaking a course?

Before retaking a course, you should consider the impact on your schedule, the cost of tuition, and the availability of the course. It is important to also reflect on why you want to retake the course and if it is necessary for your academic or career goals.

Can retaking a course affect my GPA?

Yes, retaking a course can affect your GPA. If you receive a higher grade when retaking the course, it can improve your overall GPA. However, if you receive a lower grade, it can lower your GPA. It is important to consider the potential impact on your GPA before deciding to retake a course.

Are there any alternatives to retaking a course?

Depending on your specific situation, there may be alternative options to retaking a course. Some alternatives may include seeking extra help from a tutor or professor, enrolling in a related course, or completing additional practice or review materials. It is important to discuss these options with your academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your individual needs.