Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,018
AnTiFreeze3 said:
All this talk of apple juice, and the guy who's had an apple juice box as his avatar since he created an account here has nothing to add to the discussion. Quite a shame.

Mmmm, yumm, apple juice. I saw a show, I think it was on the "how it's made" series on the science channel, where they talked about making apple cider. There's basically two ways it's done, the first is that they harvest the apples, then produce the juice and let it freeze it by leaving it in a big, plexiglass looking structure the size of a small swimming pool out in some arctic-like region. The other option was to let the apples freeze on the tree, and then harvest them that way. I guess each way impressed a different property on the taste of the final product. I'd love to do a blind taste test with those.

• #1,019
DiracPool said:
Mmmm, yumm, apple juice. I saw a show, I think it was on the "how it's made" series on the science channel, where they talked about making apple cider. There's basically two ways it's done, the first is that they harvest the apples, then produce the juice and let it freeze it by leaving it in a big, plexiglass looking structure the size of a small swimming pool out in some arctic-like region. The other option was to let the apples freeze on the tree, and then harvest them that way. I guess each way impressed a different property on the taste of the final product. I'd love to do a blind taste test with those.

When I was in elementary school I was spoiled and always had my apples "skinned." (I'm better now, I promise).

But for school lunches, there was no mother eager to please her child with a knife in hand and an apple in the other. To solve this dilemma of having a fully clothed apple, I would hold the apple firmly in hand, fix my gaze upon the corner of the lunch table, and use my 6 year old strength to smash the apple against the table. I would then suck the juice from the apple like a vampire, and repeat this process until the apple was either dry, or was so far devolved into a pulp that I couldn't get a decent grip on it.

You won't see that on How It's Made.

• #1,020
AnTiFreeze3 said:
I would then suck the juice from the apple like a vampire, and repeat this process until the apple was either dry, or was so far devolved into a pulp that I couldn't get a decent grip on it.

You won't see that on How It's Made.

I guess you never saw the "How Undead Fruit is Made" episode:

http://static.spoonful.com/sites/default/files/styles/square_420x420/public/recipes/apple-bites-halloween-recipe-photo-420-FF1007EFCA01.jpg?itok=a-eUdmn3

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,021
My job requires that I test with older versions of browsers. I found out the hard way this morning that you have to turn off Firefox automatic updates for other users on the computer or it will update automatically when they open Firefox - even though I renamed the updater.exe so that it couldn't run. :frown: Firefox then wouldn't let me remove the new version and reinstall the old one, but fortunately it created a restore point and I was able to recover the previous version that way.

• #1,022
Borg said:
My job requires that I test with older versions of browsers.

I assume you know browsershots.org and its clones?

(Yes, I know it doesn't work in some situations, you may be not allowed to use it and so on, still, it is a neat tool - especially when it works. At the moment it answers with 504 Gateway time-out.)

Likes 1 person
  • #1,023
Borek said:
I assume you know browsershots.org and its clones?
Never heard of it. I'll check it out later when it comes back online. Might be useful for the testers at work.

• #1,024
Coffee Coffee Coffee
Must be yummy

%insert another line

Coffee Coffee Coffee
I like coffee

• #1,025
WOW! Quite a performance by Tatyana Kundik.

http://blog.petflow.com/she-shocked-everyone-one-of-the-best-performances-ive-seen/
and then, what are the odds.

http://www.viralnova.com/future-bride-photobomb/

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,026
DiracPool said:
There's basically two ways it's done, the first is that they harvest the apples, then produce the juice and let it freeze it by leaving it in a big, plexiglass looking structure the size of a small swimming pool out in some arctic-like region. The other option was to let the apples freeze on the tree, and then harvest them that way. I guess each way impressed a different property on the taste of the final product.

Increasing the alcohol content by freezing out the water is dangerous compared with distilling, because it leaves all the trace impurities in what you drink. That's a good way to get a mega hangover, or even worse medical consequences.

The alcohol content from fermenting cider is already closer to the strength of wine than beer. It's easy to get 8% or 9% ABV compared with about 4% for a typical beer. Apple varieties grown for cider making tend to have higher sugar content (and also higher acidity and tannin) than "eating apple" varieties.

• #1,029
Toast? That's what they call those annoying popups? Is there a way to turn them off?

Microsoft went from infancy to senility without ever passing through maturity.

• #1,030
jim hardy said:
Microsoft went from infancy to senility without ever passing through maturity.

Before they got to toast, the most memorable academic paper published by Bill Gates was about pancakes.
The chef in our place is sloppy, and when he prepares a stack of pancakes they come out all different sizes. Therefore, when I deliver them to a customer, on the way to the table I rearrange them (so that the smallest winds up on top, and so on, down to the largest at the bottom) by grabbing several from the top and flipping them over, repeating this (varying the number I flip) as many times as necessary. If there are n pancakes, what is the maximum number of flips (as a function f(n) of n) that I will ever have to use to rearrange them?
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~christos/papers/Bounds For Sorting By Prefix Reversal.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancake_sorting

• #1,031
dlgoff said:
I'd probably just put it on display. :approve:

No. Scratch that. I like stuff to work. You got one?

$_57.JPG

Oops I missed this. We used to have one when I was growing up. I think that the pressing could be speeded up by putting a big cordless drill on that screw drive. Hold up on that, if a person has strong enough wrists it just may spin the person holding the drill around and around.

I start my old garden tiller with a cordless drill. I just put the handle on the drill against the tine cover to keep it from turning and pull the trigger. It sure beats yanking my shoulder out of joint on the old rope starter. OK OK , I admit that I first saw a really old lady do this on youtube:redface:

I had a neighbor who use to hook up a drive belt from the engine on his reel type gas lawn mower to a big pulley on his homemade ice cream maker.

• #1,032
dlgoff said:
No. Scratch that. I like stuff to work. You got one?

$_57.JPG

You want some serious technology for this, not a wimpy little hand screw press!

First crush your apples...
cidre04.jpg

... then press the juice.
cidre11.jpg

• #1,033
This is what we use - for small batches, of course:

press2.jpg

• #1,034
AlephZero said:
First crush your apples...
cidre04.jpg

My neighbor has a couple of horses I'm sure he'd let me borrow. :rolleyes:

lisab said:
This is what we use - for small batches, of course:

press2.jpg

I should build something but I already have too many "in progress" projects to have it ready by squeezing time.

• #1,035
Aww my new travel mug is too good of an insulator :S
Well over an hour and it still burns my tongue...

• #1,037
I started to post it here, but the epic love story of my wife and I was just too much for this thread. Married four years today, friends much longer..

• #1,038
dkotschessaa said:
I started to post it here, but the epic love story of my wife and I was just too much for this thread. Married four years today, friends much longer..

That is a wonderful story.

I gave my wife her engagement ring 51 years ago today. We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary on March 21. The reason I remember that it was 51 years ago today is because this morning at breakfast she ask me if I knew what happened on an August 7?

I pretended not to remember for a few seconds and then I said: "I found a diamond ring under a rock".:devil:

• #1,040
Birth certificate of my grandgrandmother, Janina Marcjanna Anders (born Wnorowska on February 22nd, 1893):

babka_andersowa.jpg

Originally found here.

• #1,041
edward said:

I gave my wife her engagement ring 51 years ago today. We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary on March 21. The reason I remember that it was 51 years ago today is because this morning at breakfast she ask me if I knew what happened on an August 7?

I pretended not to remember for a few seconds and then I said: "I found a diamond ring under a rock".:devil:
Congratulations!

• #1,042
dkotschessaa said:

That's adorable. Congrats!

• #1,043
Borek said:
Birth certificate of my grandgrandmother, Janina Marcjanna Anders (born Wnorowska on February 22nd, 1893):

Janina - what a beautiful name!

Polish birth certificates are *much* longer than ones here in the US that were issued at about that time! And much longer than ones issued in modern times, too.

What does it say?

• #1,044
lisab said:

Polish birth certificates are *much* longer than ones here in the US that were issued at about that time! And much longer than ones issued in modern times, too.

What does it say?

Reminds me of a documentary about Shakespeare I saw in an english class. The "birth certificate" back then was your name and date of birth written on a single line in a notebook.

• #1,045
Borek said:
Birth certificate of my grandgrandmother

I'm just curoius, is a grandgrandmother the same as a greatgrandmother? And, if so or if not, do we rephrase grandgrandmother as Grand^2 mother? Or as grandmother^2? Hmmm?

• #1,046
DiracPool said:
I'm just curoius, is a grandgrandmother the same as a greatgrandmother? And, if so or if not, do we rephrase grandgrandmother as Grand^2 mother? Or as grandmother^2? Hmmm?

My bad. In Polish it is babcia (grandmother), prababcia (great-grandmother), praprababcia (two times great-grandmother) and so on. For some reason I (mis)copied that into English.

lisab said:

Feminine version of Jan (John).

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Reminds me of a documentary about Shakespeare I saw in an english class. The "birth certificate" back then was your name and date of birth written on a single line in a notebook.

I would not call it "Polish" - at the time Warsaw was part of the Russian Empire, the document is in Russian.

What does it say?

Something like

It happened in Wola parish, on March 22nd (April 3rd*) 1893, at 4 p.m. To us came Stanisław Wnorowski from Wola, 26 years from birth**, together with Aleksander Kowalik (?) and Łukasz Zieliński, lathe operator from Wola, and they have shown us an infant [STRIKE]kid[/STRIKE] of female sex, saying it was born in Wola on February 22nd (March 6th) this year at 10 p.m., from his legal wife Helena, born Leczkowska, 30 years from birth. Infant [STRIKE]Kid[/STRIKE] was christened Janina Marcjanna and godparents were Aleksander Kowalik and Marianna Zielińska. This act was read, checked and signed by me.***

All dates and numbers are given in words, which makes the text slightly longer than it is really is. There are parts of the text I have problems deciphering as my Russian is not always good enough.

*Dates are given both styles - they used both calendars (Julian and Gregorian) in parallel.
**It just means "26 years old", but I tried to copy the wording verbatim - it sounds funny in Polish as well.
***Actually I made this phrase - it says something similar, but my Russian failed me so far, I plan to attack the text with a dictionary when I have more time.

Last edited:
  • #1,047
edward said:

I used to think rings and weddings were all bull***. But the experience of getting a ring and proposing turned out to be very important. I sold a car of mine to get some of the money for it, and did the shopping in Jeweler's row in philadelphia with my sister and niece - a really beautiful day that I'll never forget.

-Dave K

• #1,048
I'm not superstitious, but certainly the temptation to read into random phenomenah is strong.

This rainbow:

xt-RGrXzoFzP-sVT5MoqdPZll8ldkfzqsdg0LSNWCs0=w621-h466-no.jpg

Appeared from our perspective to stretch from our current neighborhood(an apartment complex) across the street, to the neighborhood where we are buying a house.

Image enhanced to see super duper rainbow.

• #1,049
RussianBureaucrat said:
It happened in Wola parish, on March 22nd (April 3rd*) 1893, at 4 p.m. To us came Stanisław Wnorowski from Wola, 26 years from birth**, together with Aleksander Kowalik (?) and Łukasz Zieliński, lathe operator from Wola, and they have shown us a kid of female sex, saying it was born in Wola on February 22nd (March 6th) this year at 10 p.m., from his legal wife Helena, born Leczkowska, 30 years from birth. Kid was christened Janina Marcjanna and godparents were Aleksander Kowalik and Marianna Zielińska. This act was read, checked and signed by me.***
It says "kid"?!?

• #1,050
zoobyshoe said:
It says "kid"?!?

It says https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Младенец - so perhaps better translation would be "infant".

Sorry, neither my Russian nor English are perfect. Actually the same can be said about my Polish
grumpy_borek.png