Is it Realistic to Write a Research Paper on Quantum Physics in High School?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of writing a research paper on quantum physics for a scholarship. The person is fascinated by the subject and has bought books to learn more about it. They are unsure if it is realistic to complete the paper by October and also mention possibly majoring in quantum physics in college. The conversation suggests talking to professors who specialize in the subject and encourages the person to go for it. The question of having any regrets if they don't try is also brought up. It is mentioned that the contest may or may not be interested in complex equations and whether the paper will be an essay or a research paper.
physicscrap
I want to do a research paper on quantum physics for a scholarship. I am really awed by it and want to learn everything about it. My question is, is it realistic to write a research paper on quantum physics and have it complete by october? I have bought some books on it and am reading them now. I might major in this in college(have computer engineering as major right now).

Thanks, I am fascinated by it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Research

Anything is possible. Do you have access to a lab, it would make doing research much more practical. I would say it may be difficult if you have no background in Quantum Physics, but not impossible.
I would talk to some profs at your college that specialize, and if you decide to go for it good luck.

It would be quite a task, but like the Captain says "Anything is possible".

The real question is, will you have any regrets if you don't try?

Are you in high school? Depending on the contest they may or may not be interested in seeing many numbers, greek letters, or equations. Are you writing an essay about quantum physics, or on/of quantum physics?

Related to Is it Realistic to Write a Research Paper on Quantum Physics in High School?

1. What is a possible research paper?

A possible research paper is a written document that presents the results of an investigation or study on a specific topic. It typically includes a research question, background information, methodology, results, and conclusions. The purpose of a research paper is to contribute new knowledge or insights to a particular field of study.

2. How do I choose a topic for my research paper?

Choosing a topic for a research paper can be a daunting task, but there are a few things you can do to make the process easier. Start by brainstorming ideas that interest you or that you have some knowledge or experience in. Then, narrow down your options by considering the scope of your project, available resources, and the current research in the field. It can also be helpful to consult with your peers or a mentor for guidance.

3. What is the importance of a literature review in a research paper?

A literature review is a critical analysis of existing research and literature related to your topic. It serves several important purposes in a research paper, including providing context and background information, identifying gaps in the current knowledge, and helping to support your research question or hypothesis. A thorough literature review also demonstrates your understanding of the topic and your ability to critically evaluate existing research.

4. How do I conduct research for my paper?

Conducting research for a paper involves gathering information from various sources such as books, articles, databases, and credible websites. The specific methods you use will depend on your research question and the type of data you need. Some common research methods include surveys, experiments, interviews, and observations. It is important to properly cite and evaluate your sources to ensure the credibility and validity of your research.

5. How do I structure a research paper?

The structure of a research paper may vary slightly depending on the specific requirements of your field or institution. However, most research papers typically include an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It is important to follow a logical and organized structure in order to effectively present your research and findings. You should also pay attention to formatting guidelines, such as font size and citation style, to ensure your paper meets the necessary standards.