Is It Possible to Simplify This Tricky Triple Integral?

In summary, the given double integral evaluates to 1 - SQRT(5) / 2 by swapping the integration order and using substitution to solve the inner integral.
Kreamer
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{0}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{x/2}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{y}{(2y-1)\sqrt{1+y^2}}[/tex]dydx

Most of my attempts at this problem fail pretty quickly. Not even my calculator knows what to do with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kreamer said:
[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{x/2}_{0}\frac{y}{(2y-1)\sqrt{1+y^2}} dydx[/tex]

Most of my attempts at this problem fail pretty quickly. Not even my calculator knows what to do with this one.

This looks like another integral I just saw here.
I presume that one is yours as well?

This one looks equally difficult to solve.
My approach would be to approximate it numerically.
Is it possible that is intended?

It still means you need to bring in a suitable form to integrate numerically.
I guess you could then integrate it with your calculator?

The trick would be to swap the integrals, implying a change in boundary values.
Then you can easily integrate the inner integral over x, leaving the outer integral that will now have fixed boundaries.
Your calculator should be able to do the rest.

It's a double integral and it evaluates to 1 - SQRT (5) / 2

Would a change in the order of integration help? :)

If you want to do the integration, I think you will have to look at integration by parts with respect to y, using either trigonometric or hyperbolic substitution for the function of y under the square root.

In the inner integral:
You could try substituting y = sinh z to make the square root go away. Then you split of a summand 1/2 which integrates to z/2, and to find an indefinite integral for the remaining part, you should calculate the derivative of artanh(a + b tanh(z/2)).

Last edited:
Here's my calculation, using Derive for Windows

Attachments

• DblInt.pdf
    9.9 KB · Views: 215
The area that is integrated is a triangle between (0, 0), (1, 0), and (1, 1/2).
If we swap the integration order then y must run from 0 to 1/2, and the corresponding x must run from 2y to 1.

So we have:

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{x/2}_{0}\frac{y}{(2y-1)\sqrt{1+y^2}} dydx[/tex]

[tex]= \int^{1/2}_{0}\int^{2y}_{1}\frac{y}{(2y-1)\sqrt{1+y^2}} dxdy[/tex]

[tex]= \int^{1/2}_{0}\frac{y}{(2y-1)\sqrt{1+y^2}} (1 - 2y)dy[/tex]

[tex]= \int^{1/2}_{0}\frac{-y}{\sqrt{1+y^2}}dy[/tex]

[tex]= \left.-\sqrt{1+y^2}}\right|_{0}^{1/2}[/tex]

[tex]= 1 - \frac 1 2 \sqrt{5}[/tex]

It turns out to be easier than I thought :cool:.

Last edited:

Related to Is It Possible to Simplify This Tricky Triple Integral?

1) What is a Trick Triple Integral?

A Trick Triple Integral is a mathematical technique used to evaluate complex triple integrals. It involves using clever substitutions and tricks to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2) When is a Trick Triple Integral used?

A Trick Triple Integral is typically used when solving integrals that involve three variables, such as in multivariable calculus or in physics and engineering problems. It can also be used in real-life scenarios, such as calculating volumes of irregular shapes.

3) How does a Trick Triple Integral work?

A Trick Triple Integral works by using various substitutions and properties of integration to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. These tricks can include using symmetry, changing the order of integration, and using trigonometric or hyperbolic identities.

4) What are some common tricks used in a Trick Triple Integral?

Some common tricks used in a Trick Triple Integral include changing the order of integration, using symmetry to cancel out terms, and using trigonometric or hyperbolic identities to simplify the integral. Other techniques, such as using polar or spherical coordinates, can also be used depending on the specific integral.

5) Why is a Trick Triple Integral important?

A Trick Triple Integral is important because it allows us to solve complex integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It is a useful tool in many fields of science and engineering, and can help us better understand the relationships between multiple variables in a given system.