Is it possible to show this expression is positive and bounded between 0 and 1?

In summary: Thank you sudharaka. I am checking the reference you suggested. I hope that by considering the Beta integrals it can be proved. Let me to try it! :DHi chamilka, :)\[0<x^b<1\mbox{ for }0<x<1\]\[\therefore x^{a+b}(1-x)^{\frac{1}{c}}<x^{a}(1-x)^{\frac{1}{c}}\mbox{ for }0<x<1\]\[\Rightarrow \int_0^1 x^{a+b}(1-x)^
chamilka
Hi all,
I am working with some beta functions. I want to show that the following is positive and bounded between 0 and 1. Is it possible to show this?

$$ \frac{ \frac{B( a + b , \frac{2}{ c} )}{B(a, \frac{2}{c}) } - \big\{\frac{B( a + b , \frac{1}{ c} )}{B(a, \frac{1}{c}) }\big\}^{2} }{ \frac{B( a + b , \frac{1}{ c} )}{B(a, \frac{1}{c}) } - \big\{\frac{B( a + b , \frac{1}{ c} )}{B(a, \frac{1}{c}) }\big\}^{2} } $$
where a, b and c are positive real numbers.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a image of the above expression.
tex2img.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chamilka said:
Hi all,
I am working with some beta functions. I want to show that the following is positive and bounded between 0 and 1. Is it possible to show this?

$$ \frac{ \frac{B( a + b , \frac{2}{ c} )}{B(a, \frac{2}{c}) } - \big\{\frac{B( a + b , \frac{1}{ c} )}{B(a, \frac{1}{c}) }\big\}^{2} }{ \frac{B( a + b , \frac{1}{ c} )}{B(a, \frac{1}{c}) } - \big\{\frac{B( a + b , \frac{1}{ c} )}{B(a, \frac{1}{c}) }\big\}^{2} } $$
where a, b and c are positive real numbers.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a image of the above expression.
tex2img.php
Hi chamilka, :)

This certainly seem to be bounded between 0 and 1 although I can't think of a way to prove it. Where did you encounter this fraction? You may be interested by the following journal article which includes lots of inequalities for Beta and Gamma functions.

http://rgmia.org/papers/v2n3/begaostr.pdf

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:

This certainly seem to be bounded between 0 and 1 although I can't think of a way to prove it. Where did you encounter this fraction? You may be interested by the following journal article which includes lots of inequalities for Beta and Gamma functions.

http://rgmia.org/papers/v2n3/begaostr.pdf

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Thank you sudharaka. I am checking the reference you suggested. I hope that by considering the Beta integrals it can be proved. Let me to try it! :D

\[0<x^b<1\mbox{ for }0<x<1\]

\[\therefore x^{a+b}(1-x)^{\frac{1}{c}}<x^{a}(1-x)^{\frac{1}{c}}\mbox{ for }0<x<1\]

\[\Rightarrow \int_0^1 x^{a+b}(1-x)^{\frac{1}{c}}\,dx<\int_0^1 x^{b}(1-x)^{\frac{1}{c}}\,dx\]

\[\Rightarrow \beta\left(a+b,\frac{1}{c}\right)<\beta\left(a, \frac{1}{c}\right)\]

The value of the Beta function is always positive. Therefore,

\[0<\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{1}{c}\right)}<1~~~~~~~~~~(1)\]

Using the relationship between Beta and Gamma function it could be shown that,

\[\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{2}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{2}{c}\right)}\div\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{1}{c}\right)}=\frac{\beta\left(a+\frac{2}{c},a+b+\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta\left(a+\frac{1}{c},a+b+\frac{2}{c} \right)}\]

Using Theorem 2 on page 7 in the article that I linked in my previous post we can get,

\[\frac{\beta\left(a+\frac{2}{c},a+b+\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta\left(a+\frac{1}{c},a+b+\frac{2}{c} \right)}<1\]

\[\therefore \frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{2}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{2}{c}\right)}<\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{1}{c}\right)}\]

\[\Rightarrow \frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{2}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{2}{c}\right)}-\left(\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{1}{c}\right)}\right)^2<\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{1}{c}\right)}-\left(\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{1}{c}\right)}\right)^2\]

By (1) it is clear that the right hand side of the inequality is positive. Therefore,

\[\frac{\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{2}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{2}{c}\right)}-\left(\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{1}{c}\right)}\right)^2}{\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{1}{c}\right)}-\left(\frac{ \beta\left(a+b,\frac{1}{c} \right)}{\beta \left(a, \frac{1}{c}\right)}\right)^2}<1\]

By (1) the denominator is positive, so it remains to show that the numerator is positive. I'll have to think how to do that...:confused:

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Is it possible to show this expression is positive and bounded between 0 and 1?

1. Can mathematical proof be used to show that the expression is positive and bounded between 0 and 1?

Yes, mathematical proof can be used to show that the expression is positive and bounded between 0 and 1. This involves using logical reasoning and mathematical principles to demonstrate that the expression must always produce a positive value between 0 and 1.

2. What mathematical techniques can be used to prove that the expression is positive and bounded between 0 and 1?

Some common mathematical techniques that can be used to prove that an expression is positive and bounded between 0 and 1 include induction, contradiction, and direct proof. These techniques involve using logical arguments and mathematical equations to demonstrate the validity of the expression's positivity and boundedness.

3. How can I visually represent the positivity and boundedness of the expression?

One way to visually represent the positivity and boundedness of the expression is to plot it on a graph. This will allow you to see the behavior of the expression as the input values change, and determine if it stays within the desired range of 0 to 1.

4. Are there any real-world applications for proving an expression is positive and bounded between 0 and 1?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for proving an expression is positive and bounded between 0 and 1. For example, this type of proof is often used in statistics, economics, and physics to show the validity of mathematical models and equations that involve positive and bounded values.

5. What are the implications of an expression being positive and bounded between 0 and 1?

The implications of an expression being positive and bounded between 0 and 1 are that it is a well-behaved and reliable mathematical expression. This means that it will always produce a positive value between 0 and 1, which can be useful for making accurate calculations and predictions in various fields of study.