Is it normal for university exams to not include some of the material?

In summary, the conversation discusses the normality of university exams not including all material from the curriculum. The speaker notes that while some modules may be extensive, only a few types of exercises are typically repeated in exams. They question whether it is worth studying and practicing all exercises, given time constraints and the fact that some exercises never appear in exams. The speaker also points out that it may be extreme to expect students to be able to solve all exercises in a graduate level module and suggests splitting the material into multiple modules. The conversation concludes with the idea that changing universities may not be the best solution for improving exam performance, as exams cannot possibly cover everything that should have been learned.
cdux
Is it normal for university exams to never include some of the material that is in the curriculum?

I have some modules that are quite extensive, but about 4 to 5 groups of exercises appear to repeat in the last few years. However, they also ask for students to study about 10 to 15 types of exercises.

If the time is limited and a module is extensive and demanding is it worth studying (and practicing) them all?

It's possible that if those modules' leaders are asked they will say "It's part of the studying hence they have a chance of being tested" and I can usually study them and understand them. But practicing them is another matter. If they need about a day each of exercising to be confident to solve them in an exam on your own and they never appear to be entering the exams the last few years is it worth working them?

There is a point that it becomes extreme because there is only so much time that can be allotted to a graduate level module. If more than 20 days of non-stop solving of exercises still has left some of them leaving (big) questions, isn't it extreme? Split it in 2 or 3 modules if you're so determined to be complete.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's normal.

This is the third message you have posted of the form "the university is doing it wrong!" If you want to do better in your classes, changing the university is probably not the way to go about it.

Anecdote: I went to a highly respected liberal arts college and also a very highly respected graduate school. In both cases for almost all of my classes, exams took the form of a 3-4 hour exam, with 4-8 questions. In graduate school, our qualifier exam was two 4 hours tests. I think we were supposed to answer 8 of 12 total problems, 2 each from Mechanics, E&M, Stat Mech, and Quantum. For that particular exam (oo was that fun), I studied for months.

There's no way to test literally everything you should have learned. That's not an exam's function.

Related to Is it normal for university exams to not include some of the material?

1. Is it common for university exams to not cover all the material taught in class?

Yes, it is normal for university exams to not cover all the material taught in class. This is because exams are designed to assess the student's understanding and mastery of key concepts and skills, rather than testing their knowledge of every single topic covered in class.

2. How do professors decide which material to include in exams?

Professors typically base their exam questions on the most important and relevant topics and concepts covered in class. They may also consider the difficulty level of the material and its significance in the overall course curriculum.

3. Will the material not covered in exams be included in the final grade?

This depends on the professor and the course. In some cases, the material not covered in exams may be included in other assessments, such as assignments or projects. However, it is ultimately up to the professor to decide how to weigh each component of the course towards the final grade.

4. Is it unfair for exams to not include all the material taught in class?

No, it is not unfair. As mentioned earlier, exams are designed to test the student's understanding of key concepts and skills. It would be impractical and overwhelming for students to be tested on every single topic covered in class. Additionally, professors often provide study guides or review sessions to help students focus on the most important material for exams.

5. What should I do if I feel like the exam did not cover important material?

If you feel that the exam did not cover important material, you can speak to your professor or teaching assistant and express your concerns. They may be able to explain their reasoning behind the exam content or offer additional resources for you to review the material. It is also important to keep in mind that exams are just one aspect of your overall learning and understanding of the course material.