Is Integration by Parts Incorrect for ∫(x2 + 7x) cosx dx?

In summary, integration by parts can be used to solve integrals involving the product of two functions. To use this method, one function is chosen as u and its derivative as du, while the other function is chosen as dv and its antiderivative as v. The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. In the given problem, the integration by parts was done incorrectly by first choosing v as (x2 + 7x) and du as cosx dx, and then choosing v as cosx and du as (x2 + 7x) dx. The correct approach is to expand the integrand and integrate the two resulting terms separately.
loserspearl
∫(x2 + 7x) cosx dx

If I make v = (x2 + 7x) and du = cosx dx I get
((x2 + 7x) sinx)/2

If I make v = cosx and du = (x2 + 7x) dx I get
((x3/3 + 7x2/2) cosx)/2

using the form X=Y-X to X=Y/2

Neither are correct, what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration by parts:
∫u dv = uv - ∫v du

You are doing the integration by parts incorrectly.

Last edited:
loserspearl said:
∫(x2 + 7x) cosx dx

If I make v = (x2 + 7x) and du = cosx dx I get
((x2 + 7x) sinx)/2

If I make v = cosx and du = (x2 + 7x) dx I get
((x3/3 + 7x2/2) cosx)/2

using the form X=Y-X to X=Y/2

Neither are correct, what did I do wrong?

I recommend you expand the integrand (x2 + 7x) cosx into x2 cos x + 7x cos x, and integrate the two resulting terms.
I would start with integrating the second term of this expansion first.

K thanks

Related to Is Integration by Parts Incorrect for ∫(x2 + 7x) cosx dx?

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to simplify the integration of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the original integral into two parts and applying a specific formula to solve it.

2. Why do some people say integration by parts is wrong?

Some people may say integration by parts is wrong because it can sometimes lead to incorrect results if the technique is not applied correctly. This may happen due to human error or using the wrong formula.

3. Is integration by parts always wrong?

No, integration by parts is not always wrong. It is a legitimate mathematical technique that can be used to solve certain types of integrals. However, it is important to be cautious and double-check the results to avoid any errors.

4. Can integration by parts be used for all types of integrals?

No, integration by parts is not suitable for all types of integrals. It is most commonly used for integrals involving products of algebraic, logarithmic, trigonometric, or exponential functions.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes when using integration by parts?

To avoid making mistakes when using integration by parts, it is important to carefully choose which function to differentiate and which function to integrate. It is also helpful to double-check the results and practice using the technique frequently.