Is High School Physics Enough Preparation for Electrical Engineering?

In summary, the person is worried about their ability to do well in university physics courses and has been thinking about changing their post-secondary goals. They are encouraged by the fact that their high school physics courses lacked in the electricity and magnetism area, and that there are resources available to help them.
mike_302
Hi all

My post-secondary desires have been to study electrical engineering. I think I have the mental capacity (and the rare love of math--> at least rare in my school) to get me through some sort of engineering course in university, and I have always loved... Connecting electronics together --> plugging things in, connecting electronics to make them work together and do anything I need. So that is how I deduced electrical engineering.

Anyways, my high school physics course seems to be lacking in the electrical and magnetical aspect of physics in both grade 11 and 12 so I have been worried as of late, that I might be lacking what I need to get along in MAcmaster University (Ontario) physics and engineering courses... Especially come second third and fourth years where I will have to specialize in electricity more so than first year.

Any words of wisdom, support, or guidance for me here? BTW, forget asking hte teacher to stear towards electricity. He thinks I'm a great student and all, but he doesn't want to change his plan for the year to include more electricity than he absolutly needs to teach.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just do well with what they teach you. Your first year university courses will get you up to speed and prepare you for upper year stuff. My high school physics courses (in Ontario) also lacked in the electricity and magnetism area, as well as some others. So in my first year physics course there was new stuff that I hadn't seen before. It was like that for lots of people, and the professors are aware of it. You can always study it on your own as well. Maybe your teacher could recommend some material for that.

thanks a lot. definitely encouraging to know that prof's won't be so harsh about it. It seems like all I hear about post-secondary is that the prof's are there to make your life hell, they don't care how well you do, they would rather be studying stuff for their own work than teaching, etc etc etc. It makes my fears much worse.

Well, I don't believe (most) professors are out to make the students' lives hell. In my experience they are genuinely interested in helping students. They like to share their knowledge! Yes, you will have to work hard and it may seem like hell at times, but that's what you get for studying a difficult subject! haha

Just make use of all the resources available to you and you should do fine.

Related to Is High School Physics Enough Preparation for Electrical Engineering?

What is the purpose of a high school physics course?

A high school physics course is designed to introduce students to the fundamental principles and laws of physics, as well as develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also lays the foundation for further studies in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and medicine.

What topics are covered in a high school physics course?

A high school physics course typically covers topics such as motion, forces, energy, waves, electricity, magnetism, and modern physics. It may also touch upon topics like thermodynamics, optics, and nuclear physics.

Do I need to have a strong math background to do well in a high school physics course?

While a strong math background can be helpful in understanding some of the concepts in physics, it is not a prerequisite for success in a high school physics course. Most high school physics courses cover basic math skills and equations used in physics, and teachers often provide support for students who may be struggling with the math involved.

What are some common real-world applications of high school physics concepts?

High school physics concepts can be found in many everyday situations, such as the motion of objects, the functioning of electrical circuits, and the properties of light and sound. They also have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology.

What can I do to prepare for a high school physics course?

To prepare for a high school physics course, it can be helpful to review basic math skills such as algebra and geometry. It is also beneficial to have a solid understanding of scientific principles and the scientific method. Additionally, reading about basic physics concepts and familiarizing yourself with scientific terminology can help you feel more confident in the course.