Is Exponential Form Better for Balloon with Inserted Load Calculation?

• Thread starter Hak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
Hak said:
I don't think so, the results are different. Something is not right, the values are either too small or too large...
Hak said:
OK, thanks. So, is ##\rho_{out} - \frac{m}{V} = \rho_{out} \frac{T_0}{T_{in}} (1-\beta h)##, with ##\rho_{out} = \rho_0 (1 - \alpha h)##, correct?
I didn't process this ##\uparrow##

The equation is.

$$ \frac{ \rho_{in}V + m }{V} = \rho_{out} $$

How did you get what you did above?

Physics news on Phys.org
erobz said:
I didn't process this ##\uparrow##

The equation is.

$$ \frac{ \rho_{in}V + m }{V} = \rho_{out} $$

How did you get what you did above?
I do not understand. Didn't we say we could match the average density ##\rho_{avg}## to the external density ##\rho_{out}##?

Hak said:
I do not understand. Didn't we say we could match the average density ##\rho_{avg}## to the external density ##\rho_{out}##?
Yeah, that it what I think is meant by the equation you quote? it is saying at the equilibrium position the average density of the entire balloon system will equal the density of the surrounding atmosphere at ##h##.

erobz said:
Yeah, that it what I think is meant by the equation you quote? it is saying at the equilibrium the average density of the entire balloon system will equal the density of the surrounding atmosphere at ##h##.
OK, then? I can't grasp the nettle...

Hak said:
OK, then? I can't grasp the nettle...
Show your work on that equation please, if it doesn't work out then so be it, but we need to see how you rearranged the equation.

Hak said:
All I can say about ##\rho_{in}## is: $$\frac{\rho_{in}}{\rho_{out}} = \frac{t_{out}}{t_{in}}$$. I cannot see the immediate dependence on ##h##.
I did not understand. Would you like me to show how I equated this equation above with the last one you quoted?

Hak said:
I did not understand. Would you like me to show how I equated this equation above with the last one you quoted?
Start with the equation in post #71 and show the algebraic manipulations and substitutions you performed, because when I do those, I get the same result we got earlier.

erobz said:
Start with the equation in post #71 and show the algebraic manipulations and substitutions you performed, because when I do those, I get the same result we got earlier.
I get:

$$\rho_{in} + \frac{m}{V} = \rho_{out} \Rightarrow \ \rho_{in} + \frac{m}{V} = \rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h)$$.

From ##\frac{\rho_{in}}{\rho_{out}} = \frac{T_{out}}{T_{in}}##, we get: ##\rho_{in} = \rho_{out} \frac{T_{out}}{T_{in}}##. Plugging in the previous one:

$$\rho_{out} \frac{T_{out}}{T_{in}} - \rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) + \frac{m}{V} = 0$$. Finally:

$$\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h)\frac{T_{0}}{T_{in}} (1 - \beta h) - \rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) + \frac{m}{V} = 0$$.

Hak said:
I get:

$$\rho_{in} + \frac{m}{V} = \rho_{out} \Rightarrow \ \rho_{in} + \frac{m}{V} = \rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h)$$.

From ##\frac{\rho_{in}}{\rho_{out}} = \frac{T_{out}}{T_{in}}##, we get: ##\rho_{in} = \rho_{out} \frac{T_{out}}{T_{in}}##. Plugging in the previous one:

$$\rho_{out} \frac{T_{out}}{T_{in}} - \rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) + \frac{m}{V} = 0$$. Finally:

$$\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h)\frac{T_{0}}{T_{in}} (1 - \beta h) - \rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) + \frac{m}{V} = 0$$.
Which is the same result you initially found ( applying Newtons Second )?

erobz said:
Which is the same result you initially found ( applying Newtons Second )?
Yes. I have discordant values, however. Now the two values come out to me as ##h \approx 32.6 \ m## and ##h \approx 11 \ km##. They are not convincing at all. Could you tell me what numerical result you get?

Hak said:
As you did before:

## \gamma = \frac{T_{0}}{T_{in}} ##

$$\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) \gamma (1 - \beta h) - \rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) + \frac{m}{V} = 0$$.

Multiply everything by ( or divide by) ##-1## :

$$-\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) \gamma (1 - \beta h) +\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) - \frac{m}{V} = 0$$
or (rearranging)
$$ \rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) -\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) \gamma (1 - \beta h) - \frac{m}{V} = 0 $$

Factor:

$$\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) ( 1 - \gamma (1 - \beta h) ) - \frac{m}{V} = 0 $$

Multiply both sides by ##V##:

$$\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) ( 1 - \gamma (1 - \beta h) )V - m = 0 $$

That is the same relationship I got! Multiply everything by ##g## and we are back at the working that used Newtons Second Law directly.

erobz said:
As you did before:

## \gamma = \frac{T_{0}}{T_{in}} ##

$$\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) \gamma (1 - \beta h) - \rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) + \frac{m}{V} = 0$$.

Multiply everything by ( or divide by) ##-1## :

$$-\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) \gamma (1 - \beta h) +\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) - \frac{m}{V} = 0$$.
or
$$ \rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) -\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) \gamma (1 - \beta h) - \frac{m}{V} = 0 $$

Factor:

$$\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) ( 1 - \gamma (1 - \beta h) ) - \frac{m}{V} = 0 $$

Multiply both sides by ##V##:

$$\rho_{0} (1 - \alpha h) ( 1 - \gamma (1 - \beta h) )V - m = 0 $$

That is the same relationship I got! Multiply everything by ##g## and we are back at the working that used Newtons Second Law directly.

Yes, correct. The only question is whether the method is correct, but it seems to me that it is.

Hak said:
Yes, correct. The only question is whether the method is correct, but it seems to me that it is.
Where did all the stuff go about you were saying both signs are flopped ect... By deleting it you are making me look like a fool that is parroting everything you have already said for no reason...

Instead, simply say "I'm sorry, you are correct"

erobz said:
Where did all the stuff go about you were saying both signs are flopped ect... By deleting it you are making me look like a fool that is parroting everything you have already said for no reason...
I did not understand this statement. Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker...

Hak said:
I did not understand this statement. Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker...
You deleted all the stuff about disagreeing with the results being the same. Instead of just saying "yeah I goofed, sorry"

1696087560806.png

erobz said:
You deleted all the stuff about disagreeing with the results being the same. Instead of just saying "yeah I goofed, sorry"
Yes, because I realised after not even five seconds that I had made a mistake. Of course, I didn't delete it to avoid saying 'I was wrong, sorry', but only because I realised that your statement was right. I'm not a cocky guy, next time I won't delete, sorry...

Likes erobz
May I ask what your final numerical result is?

Let's wait for someone else to verify. I'm currently baking a cake for my youngest daughters birthday, Then I have a wedding to attend.

erobz said:
Let's wait for someone else to verify. I'm currently baking a cake for my youngest daughters birthday, Then I have a wedding to attend.
Sorry, I couldn't have known. Here in Italy it's almost evening, I didn't notice the time difference. Happy birthday to your daughter, and have a wonderful evening at the wedding! Felicitations.

Likes erobz
Do you all confirm this procedure and its numerical solution? Or is there some other more subtle demonstration? Thank you very much.

Hak said:
Do you all confirm this procedure and its numerical solution? Or is there some other more subtle demonstration? Thank you very much.
##h \approx 11 \ km## seems an exaggerated value, don't you think?

Hak said:
##h \approx 11 \ km## seems an exaggerated value, don't you think?
Not according to an internet search of maximum height reached by hot air balloon.

erobz said:
Not according to an internet search of maximum height reached by hot air balloon.
All right, thank you. Then I await confirmation, tell me if anyone is not convinced by this process and result. Thank you.

Hak said:
All right, thank you. Then I await confirmation, tell me if anyone is not convinced by this process and result. Thank you.
What is it that you want to investigate? Whether or the claims ##T = T_o(1 - \beta h )## and ##\rho = \rho_o( 1-\alpha h )## are realistic atmospheric models in the troposphere, or whether or not you've solved it correctly for the models given in the problem (because the latter has obviously been verified - at least for the process)?

erobz said:
What is it that you want to investigate? Whether or the claims ##T = T_o(1 - \beta h )## and ##\rho = \rho_o( 1-\alpha h )## are realistic atmospheric models in the troposphere, or whether or not you've solved it correctly for the models given in the problem (because the latter has obviously been verified - at least for the process)?
Both. Does the second option mean that the one above is the correct symbolic method to solve the problem?

Hak said:
Does the second option mean that the one above is the correct symbolic method to solve the problem?
Yes.
Hak said:
Both.
Then search "variation of temperature in troposphere vs altitude".

Then if you want to assume the ideal gas law model use that empirical result for the temperature to solve the hydrostatic differential equation for the density and compare with ##\rho = \rho_o( 1 - \alpha h)##

$$ \frac{dP}{dz} = -\rho g $$

erobz said:
Yes.

Then if you want to assume the ideal gas law model use that empirical result for the temperature to solve the hydrostatic differential equation for the density and compare with ##\rho = \rho_o( 1 - \alpha h)##

OK, thank you. So, I have to substitute the expression of ##\rho## in the differential equation you reported below, and then what? What would be the empirical values to substitute?

Hak said:
OK, thank you. So, I have to substitute the expression of ##\rho## in the differential equation you reported below, and then what? What would be the empirical values to substitute?
I would substitute in for the Pressure ##P##, since the objective is to solve for ##\rho##.

erobz said:
I would substitute in for the Pressure ##P##, since the objective is to solve for ##\rho##.
OK, but what pressure value should I enter? I don't think I understand...

Hak said:
OK, but what pressure value should I enter? I don't think I understand...
You found that the variation is temperature in the troposphere is approximately linear. That agrees with ## T = ( T_o( 1- \alpha h ) ## (at least as a realistic model). Whether or not the slope is approximately correct in this problem you must compare it with a reputable source that states its value. In my fluids text book they state the temperature in the troposphere decreases linearly with increasing altitude at a lapse rate of ##5.87 \left[\frac{\text{K}}{ \text{km}}\right]##.

As for ##P## you don't enter a value, you enter the relationship( i.e. the model that relates the variables ##P##, ##\rho## and ##T## )

erobz said:
You found that the variation is temperature in the troposphere is approximately linear. That agrees with ## T = ( T_o( 1- \alpha h ) ## (at least as a realistic model). Whether or not the slope is approximately correct in this problem you must compare it with a reputable source that states its value. In my fluids text book they state the temperature in the troposphere decreases linearly with increasing altitude at a lapse rate of ##5.87 \left[\frac{\text{K}}{ \text{km}}\right]##.

As for ##P## you don't enter a value, you enter the relationship( i.e. the model that relates the variables ##P##, ##\rho## and ##T## )
This relationship would be ##P =\rho R T##?

Likes erobz
Hak said:
This relationship would be ##P =\rho R T##?
Also, may I know what your fluids text book is called?

Hak said:
Also, may I know what your fluids text book is called?
Engineering Fluid Mechanics: Crowe,Elger,Williams,Roberson, Ninth Edition.

Likes Hak
erobz said:
Yes.

From this differential equation, I obtain:

$$\rho(h) = k e^{- \frac{gh}{RT}}$$.

What should I get, comparing with the expression of ##\rho## given in the text?