Exercise combining Wave and Hydrostatic: Pulley and Submerged Ball

In summary: This forces the standing wave to have exactly half a wavelength between the wall and the pulley. Consequently, the string must be under the same tension in both cases. (You can't have different tensions in the same string at the same time. The forces must balance.)In summary, The frequency of a vibrating string attached to a wall and passing over a pulley with a sphere of unknown material hanging from it was measured to be 392 cycles per second. When the sphere was submerged in water, the frequency decreased to 343 cycles per second. Using the equations for wave and mechanical perspectives, the density of the sphere was calculated to be 4267 kg/m^3. However, the formula resulted in a negative value
ricmacas

Homework Statement

One end of a horizontal string is attached to the wall, and the other end passes over a pulley. A sphere of an unknown material hangs on the end of the string. The string is vibrating with a frequency of 392 cycles per second. A container of water is raised under the sphere so that the sphere is completely submerged. In this configuration, the string vibrates with a frequency of 343 cycles per second.
What is the density of the sphere?

Homework Equations

[itex]v=\sqrt{T/\rho}[/itex]
[itex]v=\lambda * f[/itex]
[itex]W=\rho*V*g[/itex]
[itex]F=W-B=\rho*V*g - \rho_{H20}V_{i}g[/itex] (assuming W>B)

The Attempt at a Solution

Wave Perspective:
[itex]T_{1} = \rho * \lambda_{1}^{2} * f_{1}^{2}[/itex]
[itex]T_{2} = \rho * \lambda_{2}^{2} * f_{2}^{2}[/itex]
Mechanical Perspective:
[itex]T_{1} = W = \rho*Vg[/itex]
[itex]T_{2} = W - B = \rho*Vg - \rho_{H20}V_{i}g[/itex]
Thus:
[itex]T_{1} = W[/itex] then, assuming displaced volume = volume of the sphere,
[itex] V_{i}g = \lambda_{1}^{2} * f_{1}^{2} [/itex]
[itex]T_{2} = W - B = \rho*\lambda_{1}^{2} * f_{1}^{2} - \rho_{H20}*\lambda_{1}^{2} * f_{1}^{2}[/itex]

Now, I have arrived to the answer in the solutions (it's the right answer, but negative, I can't explain that either), but I had to assume that [itex]\lambda_{1}=\lambda_{2}[/itex]. Can someone explain me , if frequencies are different, why should I assume the wavelenght is the same before and after submerging the ball?

For those who want the answer:
4267 Kg m-3, which i obtained from [itex]T_{2}=T_{2} \Leftrightarrow \rho * \lambda^{2} * f_{2}^{2} = \rho\lambda^{2} * f_{1}^{2} - \rho_{H20}\lambda^{2} * f_{1}^{2}[/itex]
thus [itex]\rho = (-\rho_{H20}*f_{1}^{2})/ (f_{2}^{2} - f_{1}^{2})[/itex]
(The formula gives me a negative result though).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, ricmacas. Welcome to PF!

The equation for the speed of a wave on a string is ##v = \sqrt{T/\mu}## where ##\mu## is the mass per unit length of the string. So, you'll need to rethink the mathematical steps.

In order to see why the wavelength should be the same, keep in mind that the standing waves must have a node at the wall and a node at the pulley.

Related to Exercise combining Wave and Hydrostatic: Pulley and Submerged Ball

1. What is "Exercise combining Wave and Hydrostatic: Pulley and Submerged Ball"?

"Exercise combining Wave and Hydrostatic: Pulley and Submerged Ball" is a scientific experiment that involves using a pulley system and a submerged ball to study the relationship between wave and hydrostatic forces.

2. How is the experiment set up?

The experiment involves setting up a pulley system with a submerged ball attached to one end and a weight attached to the other end. The setup allows for the movement of the ball to be controlled while measuring the forces acting on it.

3. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the effects of wave and hydrostatic forces on an object in water. By combining these two forces, we can gain a better understanding of how they interact and affect each other.

4. What are some potential applications of this experiment?

This experiment can have applications in various fields, such as oceanography, marine engineering, and coastal management. It can also be used to study the behavior of objects in water and design more efficient structures that can withstand wave and hydrostatic forces.

5. Can this experiment be modified for different purposes?

Yes, this experiment can be modified to study different aspects of wave and hydrostatic forces, such as their effects on different shapes and sizes of objects or in different types of water environments. It can also be used to investigate the behavior of different materials under these forces.