Is every subset of a totally bounded set also totally bounded?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether every subset of a totally bounded set in a metric space is also totally bounded. The definition of a totally bounded set is given, and the question is approached by considering a specific example. It is concluded that a subset of a totally bounded set is also totally bounded, as long as the definition is interpreted slightly differently. A method for constructing a finite set that covers E with radius e is presented.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Not really homework, but a textbook-style question...

Homework Statement

Is every subset of a totally bounded set (of a metric space) totally bounded?

Homework Equations

F is said to be totally bounded if, for every [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], there's a finite subset [itex]F_0\subset F[/itex] such that [tex]F\subset\bigcup_{x\in F_0}B(x,\epsilon)[/tex], where [itex]B(x,\epsilon)[/itex] is the open ball of radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] around x.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that [itex]E\subset F[/itex], and that F is totally bounded. Let [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] be arbitrary. We know that there exists a finite set [itex]F_0\subset F[/itex] such that [tex]E\subset F\subset\bigcup_{x\in F_0}B(x,\epsilon)[/tex], but this doesn't seem to help, since [itex]F_0[/itex] doesn't have to be a subset of E. We might even have [itex]F_0\cap E=\emptyset[/itex]. So now I'm starting to think that maybe E doesn't have to be totally bounded at all. For example, if F is some open ball in [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] and E is some kind of fractal or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, a totally bounded subset of a totally bounded set is totally bounded. Most definitions are a bit looser than yours. But you can still prove it. Pick a finite set F0 to cover with balls of radius e/2. Can you use that to construct a finite set E0 that covers E with radius e?

Ah, I get it now. I'll just pick one point from each non-empty [itex]B(x,\epsilon/2)\cap E[/itex] with [itex]x\in F_0[/itex], and take those points to be my E0. Then I consider open balls around those points, and I need to take these balls to have twice the radius to ensure that they cover E (by covering the old balls that had non-empty intersection with E). Thanks.

Related to Is every subset of a totally bounded set also totally bounded?

1. What is a totally bounded set?

A totally bounded set is a subset of a metric space that can be covered by a finite number of balls of any given positive radius.

2. How do you determine if a set is totally bounded?

A set is totally bounded if for any given positive radius, there exists a finite number of balls that cover the entire set. This can be determined by checking if the set can be covered by a finite number of balls of any given size.

3. What is the difference between a totally bounded set and a bounded set?

A bounded set is a subset of a metric space that can be contained within a finite distance, while a totally bounded set is a subset of a metric space that can be covered by a finite number of balls of any given positive radius.

4. Can a totally bounded set be unbounded?

No, a totally bounded set cannot be unbounded. If a set is totally bounded, it means that it can be covered by a finite number of balls of any given positive radius, which implies that the set is bounded.

5. How is totally boundedness related to compactness?

Totally boundedness is a necessary condition for compactness. A set is compact if and only if it is complete, totally bounded, and closed. This means that if a set is totally bounded, it is also compact, but the reverse is not necessarily true.