Is Eurovision More About Politics Than Music?

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan
In summary, Daniel thinks the Eurovision Song Contest is a useless political opinion poll and the songs tend to be rubbish. He also thinks that the European Union has been working together with Russia and Ukraine recently and that it's all been propaganda.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've never been a fan of Eurovision, but I usually end up watching it for whatever reason (being outvoted by girls, usually). But last year, two things about Eurovision dawned on me.

Firstly, the voting is entirely political. Now I'm not being a sore loser here, and in fact, I was positively over the moon when Great Britain got their legendary 'nil points'. But I did realize that our song was by no means the worst. It was all about the events surrounding the war in Iraq. I went on to realize that Eurovision was probably a really good opinion poll for the people of Europe, and should perhaps be used as the basis for making major political decisions.

Secondly, the songs written for Eurovision really are a load of dross. Sure, who could fail to get irritated by Taxi - The Moon (Romania, 2000) or Alltid Sommer's 'Lars A Fredriksen' (Norway, 1998) but the songs are worse than mine! Well, almost. :smile: And we all know that the Europeans generally produce some pretty naff pop (download Indochine - 'Bob Moran' and you'll see what I mean). But it's a song contest! The whole point is that you write good songs! I'm obviously wrong, but anyway.

I'd reiterate that I'm not in any way bitter that Great Britain did poorly again (and Ireland didn't even get in this year!), I just think that it says a lot about relations between European countries. But I want to know if it's just me being GBish and deluded, (the music is actually good and I just don't know it), or whether my fellow Europeans share my views on the Eurovision voting system and general quality of the songs!

Physics news on Phys.org
I watched it on and off this year, and the quality was as mediocre as it used to be.
But, hey, what else can we expect?
Successful artists who are good enough to sell their own records couldn't care less about being part of a silly musical contest. Whatever for?

I can't say I was much impressed with UK's contribution, nor for that matter with the Norwegian group.

What about this year...?Greece won.

BTW,this is an American website,not too many people give a rat's ass about pan-European music contests.

Daniel.

I know, I figured you guys might have something to say, - all the Europeans are awake at this time anyway.

But I reckon Evo watched over the internet or something...

Why would anyone want to watch anything like that?I mean,it's clear more than ever that people who are taking partand even the ones who win have no chance of becoming big hot shots in showbiz.I mean,has this contest produces anything significative over the past years...?

Is it just propaganda?European Union joining hands with Russia & Ukraine,everyone being happy to be seen together on TV?Jeez,this is frivolous.

The show's useless.

Daniel.

I mean,has this contest produces anything significative over the past years...?

Not since Celine Dion, I think..

Last edited:
arildno said:

Yeah, and not since Finland's "Pump Pump" by Fredi Ja Ystävät in 1976 either...

Christ, I love Eurovision! Your reasons for hating it are my reasons for loving it. It's so surreal and it turns your stomach so deliciously, it's the height of morbid fascination. 24 songs and not one of them decent! It's amazing. It's not that hard to write a good song. I find it really cool that while people are responsible for a lot of incredibly wonderful things, and a lot of incredibly terrible things, we're also responsible for something so ridiculous. For me it sort of puts things in perspective.

icvotria said:
Christ, I love Eurovision! Your reasons for hating it are my reasons for loving it. It's so surreal and it turns your stomach so deliciously, it's the height of morbid fascination. 24 songs and not one of them decent! It's amazing.

Ive never heard of it but it sounds like something id love watching. I love watching people compete that all really suck :D

arildno said:

I didn't mean in the bad sense.In the good one,like real artists,valuable voices,not trash.

Daniel.

icvotria said:
Christ, I love Eurovision! Your reasons for hating it are my reasons for loving it. It's so surreal and it turns your stomach so deliciously, it's the height of morbid fascination. 24 songs and not one of them decent! It's amazing. It's not that hard to write a good song. I find it really cool that while people are responsible for a lot of incredibly wonderful things, and a lot of incredibly terrible things, we're also responsible for something so ridiculous. For me it sort of puts things in perspective.

I didn't say I hate it! I just wondered whether other Europeans saw it in the same way we do, or if they think the music is quite good!

Anyway, I'm off to bed. I'll leave you with the breathtaking lyrics from Spain's 1968 Entry, 'La la la' by Massiel. Enjoy!

La, lalala, lalala, lalala
La, lalala, lalala, la
La, lalala, lalala, lalala
La, lalala, lalala

brewnog said:
Yeah, and not since Finland's "Pump Pump" by Fredi Ja Ystävät in 1976 either...

:smile: :smile: :smile: ... it's good to know our greatests moments haven't gone unnoticed :smile: :smile: :smile: .

brewnog said:
Firstly, the voting is entirely
The Netherlands didn't even get in this year, you don't want to know how offended (!) they were! losing from a granny beating a drum and a transvestite on mile high soles. They vowed never to participate again and that the whole festival should be boycotted :-p (I thought our song was pathetically boring and trite, but ok).

I watched the voting last year and it was eye opening: you are able to predict the #1 and #2 vote of the countries (especially the east). The commentator started to make fun of it: everytime they were about to call the vote, he would call it before them and he was right in most cases :biggrin: yeah, the whole thing is rigged.

arildno said:

Correct. Belgium won in the mid eigties with the awful J'aime J'aime la vie...sung by Sandra Kim. trust me, the girl now makes commercials of Mora-fries...Here career sucks and you all know why : because she ain't got no talent as most of the participants

marlon

Hey, monique!
Don't make fun of granny beating the drum!
It was actually one of the better contributions..

However, not everything in the history of Eurovision has been awful:
I like "Waterloo".. :blushing:

Last edited:
Im not too sure about the comment by dextercioby about because this is an american website there should be no discussion about european events. There are many many european posters here.

I watched eurovision this year. The first thing I noticed is that there were a lot of pretty girls singing wearing flimsy dresses. Feminem was the favourite in this category. Another thing I noticed is how similar Javine's song (UK entry which finished 3rd or 4th bottom) was to the Greek song. It seems that if people are talking about you before the event, then they get many votes.

The voting was strange. But as it is televoting in many countries it is just people voting for their favourite countries. Countries like Turkey which have many Turks living in Belgium, Netherlands, Germany do well. The Turkish song was the worst in the competition in my opinion, but they still came mid table. Then they vote for the countries near them. The only two countries which really like UK it seems are Ireland and Malta. Wheras countries like Greece get lots of votes from their neighbours.

dextercioby said:
BTW,this is an American website,not too many people give a rat's ass about pan-European music contests.

Daniel.
As if the internet as borders :confused:

Nope,it's just that this thread wouldn't get so much interest from them,which outnumber us.It's like someone opened a thread on Nascar...I think.Anyway,i'm waiting to be proven wrong :-p

Danie.

brewnog said:
Anyway, I'm off to bed. I'll leave you with the breathtaking lyrics from Spain's 1968 Entry, 'La la la' by Massiel. Enjoy!

That song has been one of the best of the entire history of Eurovision.

Both UK and Spain representants were pretty girls, but Arildno, your representant was an horrible guy who looked like Marilyn Manson. A very poor choice. :eek:

Clausius2 said:
That song has been one of the best of the entire history of Eurovision.

Both UK and Spain representants were pretty girls, but Arildno, your representant was an horrible guy who looked like Marilyn Manson. A very poor choice. :eek:

Yeah Arildno, what were you thinking?!

One thing that's always puzzled me about the Eurovision Song contest is since when was Israel in Europe?

I never was hot at Geography, But Israel?

(Incidentally the UK song was awful)

To A. Baker: I would definitely consider Israel more European than Turkey.

I was wondering myself today, when Israel was participating in the European Championship Judo.. and they actually won a silver medal http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/578595.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Even worse:Israel is a member of UEFA... :

Daniel.

Of course! Do you expect the country to be part of the Arab League? LOL...Even though it is not geographically European there are undoubtedly many ties to Europe.

Curious6 said:
To A. Baker: I would definitely consider Israel more European than Turkey.

A wonderful reply. :approve:

arildno said:
However, not everything in the history of Eurovision has been awful:
I like "Waterloo".. :blushing:

This proves your taste of music to be excellent! ABBA and Celine Dione are the only Eurovision artists to be better than the complementary performance. Lord of Dance and this year's drums and gymnast where really good!

Last edited:
PerennialII said:
:smile: :smile: :smile: ... it's good to know our greatests moments haven't gone unnoticed :smile: :smile: :smile: .

Umm, are you entirely sure it's a good thing, eh? :wink:

Hmm, of course, one good thing about the Eurovision is that we get to start threads like these - a not so modest achievement, I'd say.

Joel said:
Umm, are you entirely sure it's a good thing, eh? :wink:

Well, once in a while it's good to get reassurance that we aren't the only ones who think we suck what comes to Eurovision :biggrin: ... a sort of a recognition.

PerennialII said:
Well, once in a while it's good to get reassurance that we aren't the only ones who think we suck what comes to Eurovision :biggrin: ... a sort of a recognition.

Absolutely, (if done often enough) a reality-check never hurts. :biggrin:

I agree Monique that the votes were often based on vicinity or good political relationships, but not the majority of them. How could one imagine that Turkey gives maximum votes for Greece, for example? How did Malta gain all those votes?
Btw the songs from Germany, France, Netherlands and UK were really bad this year.

icvotria said:

argh. I just can't take it like that. I've never been able to watch a full show since I feel so embarrased for the contestants that I have to change the channel.

ramollari said:
Btw the songs from Germany, France, Netherlands and UK were really bad this year.
The manager of the Dutch singer was expecting an international breakthrough of the singer, thinking she would be recognized as the next Celine Dion or Whitney Houston :rolleyes: the disillusionment hit hard :wink: