Is Determinism the Only Logical Explanation for the Past?

• Thread starter adrianopolis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinism
In summary: This is a philosophical debate that has been going on for centuries. It ultimately boils down to personal beliefs and perspectives. In summary, the conversation centered around the idea of determinism and whether or not the past could have happened differently. The OP argued that the universe behaves like a complicated quantum clock, while others disagreed and stated that our common sense and beliefs do not apply to the universe. Ultimately, this is a philosophical debate and not a matter of physics.
adrianopolis
Logically, doesn't it seem rediculous to postulate that the past "could have" occurred differently than the way it did, as if choices were being made by something outside of the governance of causality?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there something I need to understand about time that would make the question less cut and dry?

adrianopolis said:
Logically, doesn't it seem rediculous to postulate that the past "could have" occurred differently than the way it did, as if choices were being made by something outside of the governance of causality?

No, I don't think so. Thats not logic, that's your intuition or belief.

ModusPwnd said:
No, I don't think so. Thats not logic, that's your intuition or belief.

Can you justify your logic as to why there part of nature is disconnected from causality?

Also by your logic why did the past happen the way it did as opposed to some other way?

I guess your response would be something to do with randomness which is a cop out in my opinion because it means causality has to be abandoned on the small scale. Why is it accepted that causality does not govern? How would that make sense to people?

Last edited:
This really isn't physics, there used to be a philosophy board but alas it is gone. This'll probably be moved or locked, but until then...

I am a determinist. It is my firm believe that the entire universe behaves like a complicated quantum clock.

That being said, two things need to be made abundantly clear:

1. The OP keeps referencing 'making sense'. We already know that the universe does not behave like we think it should. Our common sense and what we think 'should happen' does not apply here.
2. My belief on the determinism of the universe is based off a single axiom: everything that can be affected or affect the universe follows a set of physics similar to what we use today (I'd like to say "is a QFT", but I don't have the background for that).

The important thing here is that it is quite possible to disagree with that argument, and if you disagree with that axiom, then you can quite easily conclude the universe is non deterministic - or at least not uniquely so.

Sorry...this isn't physics.

Related to Is Determinism the Only Logical Explanation for the Past?

1. What is determinism?

Determinism is the philosophical concept that all events and actions are ultimately determined by previous causes and cannot be altered or changed. In other words, everything that happens is the inevitable result of a chain of events that began in the past.

2. What is indeterminism?

Indeterminism is the philosophical concept that some events and actions are not determined by previous causes and are instead the result of random chance or free will. This means that not everything is predetermined and there is room for uncertainty and unpredictability in the universe.

3. Which one is true, determinism or indeterminism?

This is a highly debated topic and there is no definitive answer. Some philosophers argue that determinism is true and that free will is an illusion, while others argue that indeterminism is true and that we have the ability to make choices that are not determined by previous causes.

4. How does determinism impact the concept of responsibility?

If determinism is true, then individuals may not be fully responsible for their actions, as they are ultimately determined by previous causes. This raises questions about the justice system and the concept of moral responsibility. However, some argue that determinism does not negate responsibility, as individuals still make choices and must face consequences for their actions.

5. Can determinism and indeterminism coexist?

Some philosophers argue that both determinism and indeterminism can coexist in certain aspects of the universe. For example, the laws of physics may be determined, but human actions may be indeterminate. This is known as compatibilism, which seeks to find a middle ground between determinism and indeterminism.