Is Black a Colour? Examining the Definition and Perception of Black as a Colour

• Thread starter thiotimoline
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Colour
In summary, people may ask me: Why ask this question? So silly and bo liaoz. Actually this question came into my mind just last Sunday. I've applied what I know in science and have the following to present: 1) According to the definition of some online encyclopedias, black is defined as an absence of colour. My own definition of black is a phenomenon which totally absorbs all light shining on it, thus rendering it black. 2) Take a black object and a transparent glass for example. In both cases, light from a source does not reflect back to our eye, but for the black object, light is simply absorbed while the transparent glass actually allows light to pass through. However we compare both cases, since

Is black a colour?

• Yes because we can see it physically

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Not sure because there are contradicting theories about it

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • No because it is not within the 7 basic colours of a rainbow that make up white light

Votes: 45 58.4%

• Total voters
color is just our perception, and i am just beginning to think it isn't any physical thing at all. what if only we humans (or even only mammals) got cones in our eyes so that we coould define the different wavelenght as clours. what if we never had had them and we would only be limited to the rods. wat if we would otherwise had perceived them to be different or just opposite. colors were coined as per our perception, not according to its phyiscal properties. it is not yet all physical. we can perceive color, if we percieve abasence of it, that is BLACK. black is no colour " according to phyics" but it is as per our perception...

Physics news on Phys.org
If a tree falls in the forest, and there is no one there, does it make a noise? No it does not. It makes a sound. Some one has to be there to interpret that sound, and classify it as a "noise". The moon robs the color from our sight, blue is gray, and yellow white...If we did a spectral analysis of the blue, would it still be blue, would the yellow still be yellow? OH, I'm SO confused.:confused: :eek:

black is a color its as simple as that, little jimmy when he mixes all his colors together what does he get... oooh he gets black. Note black is not the absence of color.

EDIT: "The way we understand black is the absence of LIGHT***"

Jarle said:
EDIT: "The way we understand black is the absence of LIGHT***"

If blue light comes to our eyes, we see it as blue colour. But since black means absence of light, no light reaches us, then can we still say black is a colour? In addition, what's the wavelength of black? Within the visible light spectrum of 400nm and 700nm?

Ok, black is not a color to us. Who can say, that out there in the vast expanse of the universe, there is not a species that can not see red. They can see black quite well, but red excapes them. What color is red...in the moon light?
I declare this horse dead, may it rest in peace.

Ironman Joe said:
I declare this horse dead, may it rest in peace.
The irony here is that the thread had been dead and buried for a week, and it was Joe that resurrected it on the 23rd.

Fun wasn't it?

Black is a pigment colour...we use it every day, example marking with pencil etc. Paint companies manufacture it, and is one of their biggest selling product,
black paint is required by the industries most of the time..

vizblue said:
Black is a pigment colour

A contradiction in terms. By definitions that I'm familiar with from graphic design, colour and pigment are not the same thing. A pigment is a substance that gives the viewer the impression of seeing a particular colour.

Is black a color? Technically, no. But suppose your SO asked you "I don't know if my black dress looks good with this top. Should I pick some other color?" I hope you would be righteously slapped if you responded "What do you mean? black isn't a color."

Is black a pigment? This is much easier to answer.

The US Patent Office seems to think black is a pigment color. There have been http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...nt&FIELD1=ABTX&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=PTXT" issued since 1976 with black pigment in the abstract.

The "Colour Index International", jointly maintained by the Society of Dyers and Colourists and the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists seems to think it black is a pigment color. The "gold standard" ... umm "black standard" ... is carbon black, aka "CI Pigment Black 7". http://www.jamesmbrown.co.uk/heubach/colour%20index.htm" .

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not very hard to understand that black is just absence of visible light. Therefore, not light...

In pigment colours, we say that black is a colour, but that does not mean that the black pigment colour emit any visible light.

I have a question, if a hypothetical gas absorbed all visible light but red, would we see it as similar as a gas that absorbed all visible light, and emitted red? (assuming the light source lightning up the gas also hit our eyes) The absorbed light is transformed to heat for this gas.

Last edited: