Is Asking a Woman Out Only for the Bold?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, the conversation is discussing tips for someone who has never asked a woman out before, with some joking and personal experiences shared. The main points include looking for signs of interest, not being afraid of rejection, and not trying to understand women too much.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Any tips for someone who never tried it before (when he was sane)?
I guess asking a woman out should be for the insaners.

Physics news on Phys.org
Offer $20 and haggle from there.

Not sure I understand just what you're asking...could you clarify, please?

Here's a good instructional video that helps you progress from a 'training woman' to a real woman in easy to follow steps: The search for true love begins outside the box

Edit: By the way, as hot as Bianca is, you can just forget it. She's engaged to this guy and it looks about as real as real can get.

Last edited:
start with "hello"

It depends on the age group you are asking. If it's high school and she doesn't have a BF then you just have to ask. It's that simple. If it's older women then you have to start with the games. OooOO...how I hate having to play the game.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
A good way to tell if the girl may be interested is if she looks at you and then maybe smiles and looks away quickly, hopefully she'll look back at you again to see if you're still looking.

If this happens, she's probably interested.

There is never any guarantee and the thing is to ask and not be devastated if she says no. Not everyone will say yes.

Basically, don't ask a girl that doesn't smile at you or act nice to you. If she gives you no sign of interest, move along, she's not interested.

Also, don't be duped by a girl that's playing with you. If she goes after jerk types, then suddenly shows an interest in you, be careful, she might be trying to use you.

And you gone to PHYSICSforums.com for advice?

You really are hopeless, my friend.

It makes absolute sense. People that think similarly will be more likely to understand his situation.

I'm assuming the guy scored since he never came back.

Wax said:
I'm assuming the guy scored since he never came back.
Or we scared him off. I deleted a ton of off topic posts. :frown:

What is "it"? Is "it" women? Sex? Relationships? Low-premium health insurance? To be honest I don't know if I've every actually "asked a girl out". I've had my share of relationships but looking back I don't think there was a moment where I was like "Hey, Peggy Sue. You're mighty keen, would you like to accompany me tomorrow to the theatre?". It just sort of happens.

I knew my current boyfriend for three years. We were just friends, although he was dropping hints that he might be interested in more.

I finally got tired of beating around the bush and sent him some Victoria's Secrets style, classy pics. Heck I have bathing suit pictures that reveal more. Deal sealed.

Evo said:
I knew my current boyfriend for three years. We were just friends, although he was dropping hints that he might be interested in more.

I finally got tired of beating around the bush and sent him some Victoria's Secrets style, classy pics. Heck I have bathing suit pictures that reveal more. Deal sealed.

Post some pictures! :biggrin:

Evo said:

Nothing helps an advance like a visual aid.

Haha.. this is like "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot. I think you missing the big picture. You should strive to stay single as long as possible! Try to avoid women and their sinking-hole principle of a commitment and relationship. If you are young (as in if you were old you won't be asking these questions) then you should enjoy life, not deal with headaches of a relationship. If you want a casual "thing" then start it off as a friendship, maybe you'll like the girl. Window shopping is the best approach. Don't try to understand women and then try to push their "buttons", instead be yourself and ignore all the irrational and complex characteristics of their psyche. Be above it! Women are not that special for you to devote a dissertation over trying to understand them.

Evo said:

I knew that girl looked similar to you on that website plastered with peoples pictures from private emails :devil:

cronxeh said:
Haha.. this is like "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot. I think you missing the big picture. You should strive to stay single as long as possible! Try to avoid women and their sinking-hole principle of a commitment and relationship. If you are young (as in if you were old you won't be asking these questions) then you should enjoy life, not deal with headaches of a relationship. If you want a casual "thing" then start it off as a friendship, maybe you'll like the girl. Window shopping is the best approach. Don't try to understand women and then try to push their "buttons", instead be yourself and ignore all the irrational and complex characteristics of their psyche. Be above it! Women are not that special for you to devote a dissertation over trying to understand them.

Pssh. Women, with that crazy stuff they do. (sarcasm). Do you really find the opposite sex that mysterious?

Basically, just talk to her without expecting anything. Get in touch with your alpha-male flirting skillz.

Try not to be her "friend". Or you might end up one of those guys that get to hear all the stories about boyfriend problems from the girl you like and wonder why she isn't going for you. LOL, that's a bad place to be.

drankin said:
Basically, just talk to her without expecting anything. Get in touch with your alpha-male flirting skillz.

Try not to be her "friend". Or you might end up one of those guys that get to hear all the stories about boyfriend problems from the girl you like and wonder why she isn't going for you. LOL, that's a bad place to be.

ah, yes, the "friend zone". basically, don't be her girlfriend.

drankin said:

Yes because you obviously have a chance with her considering she has a boyfriend already.

And what the heck is this thread about anyhow. How to start with women? Listen, I read a book saying that women are from Venus. Alright so here's what you get her: thick layers of sulfuric acid, viscous surface rock, and coronae, which seem to be collapsed domes over large magma chambers.

Getting started is easy. It's quitting that's hard. :-p

If you're asking this question then I'm guessing you have someone in mind that you would like to ask out. So spill your guts and tell us about her. Then you can get some tailored advice. What works with one woman may be insulting to another. What do you like about her? Where do you know her from? Has she indicated in any way that she might like you?

Evo said:

Haha, the direct approach. I love it!:smile:

It's always been a pet peeve of mine that women are often hesitant to make the first move. Depending on her preference in partners it is sometimes necessary. It's hard to tell for sure, but it seems to me that more men nowadays need a bonk on the head with the proverbial sledgehammer to get their attention. The rules for relationships, whatever those are, aren't the same as they used to be. The changes cause some confusion, especially on the approach. What's your opinion?

Proton Soup said:
start with "hello"
I concur. Follow it up with casual conversation. If there is mutual interest, then invite the woman of interest to lunch or coffee, or perhaps dinner.

Astronuc said:
I concur. Follow it up with casual conversation. If there is mutual interest, then invite the woman of interest to lunch or coffee, or perhaps dinner.
Why not breakfast at his place?

Huckleberry said:
Why not breakfast at his place?
Why not breakfast at her place?:biggrin:

bp_psy said:
Why not breakfast at her place?:biggrin:

Yes, I agree. This is a first date after all, so I wouldn't be forking out extravagant amounts of money for things like breakfast until you've gotten to know her a little better and can determine whether she's worth the cost and effort. :smile:

BobG said:
Yes, I agree. This is a first date after all, so I wouldn't be forking out extravagant amounts of money for things like breakfast until you've gotten to know her a little better and can determine whether she's worth the cost and effort. :smile:

McDonalds have a new $1 for a McMuffen deal.

whitay said:
McDonalds have a new $1 for a McMuffen deal.

That's klassy.

lisab said:
That's klassy.

I know.

Everyone has said that you should ask her to coffee or breakfast or something. But if she is interested then she might have something in mind. Leave the question opened ended in some sense like say "Would you like to go to coffee or something sometime?". Phrase it however suits you.

Question. Are there things not to say or talk about when meeting a women? whether it be the first inauguration or first meeting for coffee(or something)? Personally I wouldn't say that I go to the gym 5 times a week and I never mention that I study Engineering and Mathematics (at first). I just say Engineering.

Something that eurks me though is they always ask me where I come from.

whitay said:
Question. Are there things not to say or talk about when meeting a women? whether it be the first inauguration or first meeting for coffee(or something)? Personally I wouldn't say that I go to the gym 5 times a week and I never mention that I study Engineering and Mathematics (at first). I just say Engineering.

Why not?

Don't ask her what her bra size is. Unless you're THE MAN.

whitay said:
I know.

Everyone has said that you should ask her to coffee or breakfast or something. But if she is interested then she might have something in mind. Leave the question opened ended in some sense like say "Would you like to go to coffee or something sometime?". Phrase it however suits you.

Something that eurks me though is they always ask me where I come from.

As far as things not to say...well, you just have to play it by ear. Something that strikes one girl as clever and witty might strike another as too smart @ss. But don't let that stop you...if a girl is offended by you being yourself, well, it wouldn't have worked out anyway, right?

And I'd extend that to telling girls you're studying engineering and math. Believe me, I know this from experience. Once upon a time, I was a young woman studying physics. Often I'd meet guys in a club or party or whatever...they would ask, and I would proudly tell them I was studying physics. Easily 90% would shrink away, or start apologizing for their bad math grades. But some wouldn't - those were the guys worth meeting.

So why are you bothered by being asked where you're from?

Just be yourself and talk to them. If they don't like you for it, then they aren't for you.

The world is 70% water and 50% p**sY. Plenty to work with.

Pengwuino said:
Why not?

Don't ask her what her bra size is. Unless you're THE MAN.

Cause the response always is "You must be smart!" but I tend not to agree.