Is anyone here familiar with the dynamical Casimir effect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dynamical Casimir effect, the concept of adiabatic approximation in quantum mechanics, and the use of the term "adiabatic" in relation to slow time-evolving systems. The adiabatic approximation is typically used to describe systems that undergo slow time-evolution compared to their intrinsic frequencies, and it tells us that the system will remain in an approximate eigenstate of the Hamiltonian. However, in the context of quantum mechanics, the term "adiabatic" has no direct relation to the thermodynamic concept of a quasistatic process without heat exchange. The conversation also touches on the idea of sonoluminescence and the question of whether one photon produced in the dynamical Cas
rwooduk
Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with the dynamical Casimir effect? It's part of my dissertation and have a couple of questions.

I've read that the photons produced are "always pair-produced from the vacuum in two-mode squeezed states, not in coherent states."

Since only one photon is detected can we simply say one is observable while the other is not?

Eberlein uses "an adiabatic approximation" in her calculations, this has nothing to do with an adiabatic process (as far as I am aware) but is a method used for determining the result. Could someone perhaps give any insight into the term "adiabatic approximation" in terms of quantum mechanics, to what does it infer?

thanks for any ideas!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with the Casimir effect (except for roughly what it is), but I can say that the "adiabatic approximation" in QM usually refers to slowly time-evolving system. In the case that the Hamiltonian is said to slowly change in time (compared with the intrinsic frequencies of the system), the system will stay, approximately, in the instantaneous eigenstates of the system. As the Hamiltonian evolves to its final state, the adiabatic approximation tells you that the system will be approximately in the corresponding eigenstate to whichever eigenstate it started out in. For example, if the system started out in the ground state, it will remain in the ground state of the new system.
However, the quantum system can pick up an additional Berry phase from this slow evolution of the Hamiltonian.

The usual example given, from a classical mechanics analogy, is the case of a pendulum with a time-varying string length (think, a pendulum attached to a ceiling with a hole where someone can pull on the string to make it shorter). If the length of the string changes very slowly, the pendulum will still approximately undergo simple harmonic motion with the new intrinsic frequency. But if the string is pulled on very quickly, the pendulum will undergo chaotic motion.

Likes rwooduk
Matterwave said:
I am not familiar with the Casimir effect (except for roughly what it is), but I can say that the "adiabatic approximation" in QM usually refers to slowly time-evolving system. In the case that the Hamiltonian is said to slowly change in time (compared with the intrinsic frequencies of the system), the system will stay, approximately, in the instantaneous eigenstates of the system. As the Hamiltonian evolves to its final state, the adiabatic approximation tells you that the system will be approximately in the corresponding eigenstate to whichever eigenstate it started out in. For example, if the system started out in the ground state, it will remain in the ground state of the new system.
However, the quantum system can pick up an additional Berry phase from this slow evolution of the Hamiltonian.

The usual example given, from a classical mechanics analogy, is the case of a pendulum with a time-varying string length (think, a pendulum attached to a ceiling with a hole where someone can pull on the string to make it shorter). If the length of the string changes very slowly, the pendulum will still approximately undergo simple harmonic motion with the new intrinsic frequency. But if the string is pulled on very quickly, the pendulum will undergo chaotic motion.

thats extremely helpful! thanks!

could i just ask, if it's the slow evolution of a time-evolving system then why is the word adiabatic used?

rwooduk said:
thats extremely helpful! thanks!

could i just ask, if it's the slow evolution of a time-evolving system then why is the word adiabatic used?

I have always wondered this myself. I thought it's called adiabatic because the state will remain in an energy eigenstate. Although energy can be deposited or removed from the system by changing the energy of the eigenstates themselves, the system itself will not, for example, move to a higher energy eigenstate.

However, Wikipedia seems to say that the term used in QM is simply unrelated to the "adiabatic" we are familiar with from Thermodynamics: "Note that the term "adiabatic" is traditionally used in thermodynamics to describe processes without the exchange of heat between system and environment (see adiabatic process). The quantum mechanical definition is closer to the thermodynamical concept of a quasistatic process, and has no direct relation with heat exchange."

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_theorem

excellent thanks! its even more confusing when you are considering sonoluminescence of which one of the possible mechanisms is a "real" thermodynamic adiabatic compression lol

thanks again for your time!

EDIT and do you have any thoughts on the first question above..

I've read that the photons produced are "always pair-produced from the vacuum in two-mode squeezed states, not in coherent states."

Since only one photon is detected can we simply say one is observable while the other is not?

Related to Is anyone here familiar with the dynamical Casimir effect?

1. What is the dynamical Casimir effect?

The dynamical Casimir effect is a phenomenon in quantum field theory where virtual particles can become real particles due to rapid changes in the boundaries of a vacuum. This effect is named after the physicist Hendrik Casimir who first predicted its existence in 1948.

2. How is the dynamical Casimir effect different from the regular Casimir effect?

The regular Casimir effect refers to the attraction between two parallel uncharged metal plates due to the fluctuations of electromagnetic fields in the vacuum. The dynamical Casimir effect, on the other hand, involves the creation of real particles from these fluctuations when the plates are moving or vibrating at high speeds.

3. What are the potential applications of the dynamical Casimir effect?

Some potential applications of the dynamical Casimir effect include generating energy from the vacuum, creating new types of lasers, and improving the sensitivity of gravitational wave detectors. It may also have implications for understanding the origins of the universe and the behavior of black holes.

4. Are there any experiments that have observed the dynamical Casimir effect?

Yes, there have been several experiments that have observed the dynamical Casimir effect. In 1996, the first experimental confirmation of the effect was reported by a team of scientists at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden. Since then, other experiments have been conducted using superconducting circuits and optomechanical systems.

5. What are the current challenges in studying the dynamical Casimir effect?

One of the main challenges in studying the dynamical Casimir effect is the extremely small scale at which it occurs. This makes it difficult to observe and measure the effect accurately. Additionally, the creation of particles in this process can be unstable, making it challenging to control and manipulate. Further research is needed to better understand and utilize this phenomenon.